Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20454 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000 All-Around Extreme Lag, Especially Gaming

JScha8
Beginner

I am having difficulty with a laptop with the following specs:

Processor: Intel i7-3537U 2.00GHz - 2.50GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000

My problem is one that I have found on your site, but has always been redirected or marked as answered (falsely, as it has not been fixed).

In MineCraft, I am experiencing extreme lag. It gets worse EVERY TIME I get on, and I am now down to about 9 fps maximum with full settings. Turning down the graphics settings has no effect on fps at all, even with minimum I have a limit of about 10 or 11 fps. I used to get 30 fps with the same launcher and same version with max settings. If you can help, please do as I doubt MineCraft will even be playable in a few days. Mind you, the problem is not limited to MineCraft, and other games and even normal applications are slowing down over the course of time. It seems as if my graphics card is slowly sinking into the ocean of slow .

I am experiencing these issues with or without other programs running, and with or without Razer GameBooster closing background applications. I have avast! free antivirus which has detected no malware on my computer. No modifications have been made to the PC, and I am running the most recent version of the graphics driver for Windows 8.1, which I am running. My laptop is a Samsung ATIV Book 4.

Please help, don't redirect. Yes, I am using the most recent version of the MineCraft Launcher. Yes, I am using the latest graphics driver. Yes, I have tried every fix I have seen. No, none of them work.

Sincerely,

LightningRacerSZ

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I suggest you completely uninstalling and reinstalling the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714 latest driver for Intel® HD Graphics 4000. You may also try the driver provided by the system manufacturer.

However, if non intensive graphic applications are experiencing the same issue I truly believe the cause is something else and not the graphics driver, perhaps operating system corruption or a different application.

"I used to get 30 fps with the same launcher and same version with max settings."

Based on this, It should work if you used the same driver version. So, what changed?

Perhaps going back with Windows* System Restore or starting the system with a clean boot will help troubleshooting the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

0 Kudos
JScha8
Beginner

Thank you! Performed a Clean Boot and that completely eliminated all lag. Now how would I find out which one of the background programs is causing it?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is necessary to enable one at a time in order to find out which one is really causing the lag. You may want to try with the application(s) that appear to be more demanding on resources.

The information about /docs/DOC-22302 Multiple real-time anti-malware products and firewalls may also be useful in this case.

0 Kudos
JScha8
Beginner

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, my computer, even with a clean boot, it having the original problem. It almost seems as if my graphics card is decaying.

This problem is really annoying me. I may just backup and re-install Windows.

Thanks,

LightningRacerSZ

0 Kudos