Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21070 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 5000 Driver Freezes Computer

SChio1
Novice

bit with 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD plus 2 TB external HDD. For the past several months, whenever I use certain programs, my entire computer/screen will freeze and I have to force a shutdown and restart. This happens when I use certain GPU-accelerate programs such as the latest version of Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft's Live Essentials package or any kind of GPU-accelerated HTML5 content in Internet Explorer with the exception of videos on Youtube and other video sites. But sometimes the Bing homepage will have some kind of interactive HTML5 background that will cause the computer to freeze when it loads up. In Movie Maker, the computer will freeze when I import a video and it begins to process the videos with the GPU.

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel HD Graphics 5000 driver but the problem still persists. If I uninstall the driver and just use the Microsoft Generic Display Driver, running the programs that normally causes the computer to freeze will not freeze the computer and the computer will function normally. However I cannot just rely on the Microsoft driver because it's way too limited in terms of features and performance. Is there any fix for this yet? Or is there at least an older version of the Intel HD Graphics driver that doesn't have these kinds of problems? Thanks!

3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the community.

I am sorry to hear that have had performance issues with Intel Graphics Drivers.

Please make sure you have loaded the latest graphics driver for your video controller and test if this performance issue still happens with an updated version.

Please filter by operating system and try to install the driver when it finishes downloading, to verify that your system will accept it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+5000&ProdId=3721&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+5000&ProdId=3721&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

Allan.

SChio1
Novice

I already tried downloading and installing the latest drivers. I even updated the BIOS of my Intel NUC. Everything is totally up to date both drivers and Windows 8.1. The problem still persists though and my entire system still freezes when I try to run any GPU-accelerated media such as Windows Live Movie Maker. Running games is fine though most of the time.

Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for coming back to the community.

Intel is collecting feedback for issues encountered when using driver version 3496, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them here:

/message/228728# 228728 https://communities.intel.com/message/228728# 228728

Allan.

0 Kudos