Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21222 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 520 and Windows 10 Pro

Jammer
Beginner

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 using the Intel HD Graphics 520 display adapter and driver.  It's been working fine until I updated from the the version 20H2 to version 22H2 in Windows 10 Pro.  The version 22H2 update caused the monitor's graphics to begin superimposing graphics, and Intel has discontinued support for this display adapter with 20H2.  I reverted back to 20H2 and everything returned to normal confirming that the problem was caused by the update.  

As you know, a Surface isn't easily taken apart, and certainly the graphics card isn't removable.  Short of buying another Surface, does anyone know of another driver that will work with this adapter to allow the version 22H2 in Windows 10 Pro and its security updates while not superimposing images?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Since someone at Intel had the glorious idea to wipe all previous versions, only one Skylake driver is left over:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/762755/intel-6th-10th-gen-processor-graphics-windows.html

Otherwise get Surface drivers from here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/manage-surface-driver-and-firmware-updates

0 Kudos
Jammer
Beginner

Dear Stepan3D,

Thank you for the links.   I downloaded the driver packet from Microsoft and, surprisingly, the superimposed images have gone away at least temporarily (I forgot to "pause updates," and Windows 10 Pro automatically updated the 20H2 version to 22H2 overnight)!  Albeit superimposed images appeared after installing the update and before restarting, after restarting the Surface the problem went away!  

Also, after downloading the driver packet from the Intel website, trying to install it caused an error message that my system has a driver that is "Locked to the Manufacturer...".  So much for that!  

I also learned that this model of Surface Pro 4 has issues with the display adapter overheating and displaying quirky images.  So the driver my be only part of the problem, or not related at all; Perhaps it is the adapter itself and the overheating is causing the superimposed images.  It's certainly interesting!

Jammer

0 Kudos
Jammer
Beginner

So the graphics problem has recurred!  As long as the 22H2 version of Windows 10 is running, and the 10/11/2018 and 24.20.100.6299 version of graphics driver for the Intel HD Graphics 520 card is loaded, the problem reappears.   Also,  it appears that overheating is not the problem because, regardless of the temperature,  the problem recurs at a cold resume from shutoff.  So, it would appear that the version 22H2 and 520 card are not compatible.  I also tried a 518 driver, but graphics were quirky.  The hunt for a solution continues...

0 Kudos
Jammer
Beginner
Update: The graphics went bad with Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2. So, apparently the version of W10 Pro doesn't cause the problem; It would appear that, as previously suspected, the graphics card is the problem. The saga continues for a diagnosis and a solution.
Jammer
0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @Jammer

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.    

For more details, please refer to the support page: Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Graphics Products

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos