Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530, 10-bit Display, and Adobe

MS23
Beginner

Hi all,

I want to purchase a 27'' monitor which displays 10-bit and supports 99% Adobe RGB for editing photos in Photoshop and Lightroom.

I have an Nvidia Geforce 960M GPU, but it only supports 10-bit in a DirectX environment, while Adobe software uses OpenGL (hence - If Photoshop for example is using the GeForce card, it will only display 8-bit. I need to upgrade to a Quadro GPU if I want to use an Nvidia card that will support a 10-bit display with Adboe).

My laptop also has an Intel HD Graphics 530 card. If I set up Photoshop (and other Adobe software) to use this card instead of the GeForce card, will it support a 10-bit display while using Photoshop? Meaning, does this Intel card support 10-bit in an OpenGL environment?

If this information helps, my laptop has the following specs:

i7 6700HQ processor

16gb RAM

128gb SSD Hard Drive

Intel® HM71 Express Chipset

Mini DisplayPort

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MJans5
Beginner

I had the same question but not anymore. Since a few day's I have a 6700K with a HD530 inside and it will only allow to set 32bits colors. When I look in the inf files I can find 8bits 16bits and 32bits.

Don't be fooled by 32bits because that is RGB/24 according to my HP z27x and not RGB/30 as my 40 dollar second hand AMD FirePro W2100 can produce. I have connected my HP z27x through a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 dongle and if you are going to use HDMI then look for HDMI ports on your computer and display otherwise 10bits is impossible in the future.

More info in this thread and look for the link to the PDF doc from Intel december 2015:

/thread/101627 https://communities.intel.com/thread/101627

Cheers

0 Kudos
MS23
Beginner

Hey 10bit, thanks for your response. However, since I'm not THAT tech savvy, I couldn't really understand whether I will or will not be able to use the 10-bit capability using the 530 on board card when using Photoshop (with a proper DisplayPort cable). Could you help in clarifying this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MJans5
Beginner

I am not that tech savvy and to me it is also a mystery how Intel puts it in their document.

The Intel control panel don't give any control over the color depth so it seems we have to hack us into the registry to see if we can convince the Intel control panel that there is more possible with colors. If not I am stuck at RGB/24.

The dongle I use is a Club 3D CAC-1507 which converts the signal from the HD530 through the USB/Thunderbolt port to DisplayPort.

0 Kudos
MS23
Beginner

I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

Intel - Could someone PLEASE give an official response to this question? This shouldn't be THAT complicated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings.

Allan
idata
Employee

This is an official response about 10 bit deep color.

10bit (Deep Color) is enabled in our driver by default. If an app which utilizes Deep Color is used, and the Hardware meets the requirements needed to utilize the app and Deep Color, then our driver will allow it to function.

Hardware requirements, are as follows:

The maximum supported bpc are the following, there is a Bandwidth limitation to offer more.

1. 1920x1080p can be achieved with 12bpc.

2. 4k@30p resolution needs 297 Mhz with 8bpc, so will need ~450 Mhz with 12bpc.

Native HDMI port can't support this, only LSPCON port can.

3. 4k@60p resolution need 600Mhz clock, on 8BPC, so it will need ~900Mhz with 12BPC.

Neither native HDMI nor LSPCON can support this.

I hope this helps.

Allan
0 Kudos
MS23
Beginner

Allan, thank you for your response.

However I ask that you relate more closely to my question - Does the Intel HD Graphics 530 card support Deep Color in OpenGL (which different software such as Adobe Photoshop use)? Because according to your reply it does, while this document from Intel clearly states that it does not:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/deep-color-support-graphics-paper.html Deep Color Support of Intel® Graphics White Paper

So which one is right?

0 Kudos
MJans5
Beginner

I think you can interpret the statement as a no go on OpenGL support in 10bits. It seems to support DirectX but then Microsoft is not supporting 10bits native in Windows so still a no go.

If Intel does not support the 10bits support in their top of the line processor as the 6700K is, then maybe more is playing in the background like you see like with AMD and nVidia. AMD only allow 10bits on their FirePro cards despite the same chips are in the Radeon series. nVidia is doing the same thing and you only get 10bits when you buy the professional chips.

It's more politics then giving the customer the product it wants and in that light you can see the official statement by Intel on this.

I think the White Paper is telling the whole story and also the ugly bits. Lets hope Intel makes the 10bits support available, especially on their top-line processors.

0 Kudos
MJans5
Beginner

I have installed my old AMD W2100 which has two DP 1.2 ports and supports 10bits without any discussion. I put an other cooler on it because the standard cooler can be noisy under load.

The big cooler is a Zalman VF1000 and I have connected the fan to a fan connector on the motherboard and have locked the rotation speed to 1500 rpm.

0 Kudos