Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver causing screen flickering

INajj
Novice

Dear Intel Support Team,

I have recently purchased a new laptop, a custom built https://www.bto.eu/bto-x-book-15cl73.html# product-specs X BOOK.

The laptop is fitted with an Intel Core i7-6700HQ quad-core and a GeForce GTX 960M 2GB.

The graphics adapter is an Intel® HD Graphics 530.

The operating system is a Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

I have a flickering screen problem that is very annoying, the screen keeps flashing on and off, even sometimes showing thin green horizontal lines and this doesn't

go away with a restart or a shutdown.

I disabled the adapter and everything worked fine.

I have the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- latest version of the driver for the 64 bit CPU architecture.

One thing worth mentioning, is that I didn't have the problem until I installed Visual Studio 2015 !!

I reset my operating system and everything was fine until I installed Visual Studio 2015 again.

Kindest Regards,

Ibrahim Najjar

109 Replies
MVale6
Beginner

Hello Intel Support -

Attached is the required information you requested in order to review the existing HD530 Graphics Driver issues. I noticed there are "beta" drivers available with a February date. Are we getting close to a resolution? I'd rather wait for a final driver that has fixed the flickering issues.

Thanks for taking the time to review and hopefully fix.

Mark

0 Kudos
MWadd
Beginner

Amy: I am having the same problem on a new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit). The current driver on my machine is the Intel HD graphics 520. When I try to install the beta driver manually, following the instructions you have posted on this site, my computer tells me that "the best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date. Intel (R) HD Graphics 520." For what it's worth, the crashing/recovery of the driver seems to be happening primarily when I use Corel WordPerfect. But it's happening frequently enough that it's a real nuisance. Please advise.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

drw, please try one more time with the steps attached and refer to post # 85.

awasen, thank you for sharing your feedback. Have you tried with the latest Beta driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]?

Regards,

0 Kudos
MWadd
Beginner

Amy: your instructions helped me to succeed in loading the beta driver. Thank you for that. Unfortunately, I experienced another failure/recovery just minutes about rebooting my system with the new driver. Sigh. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
AWase
Beginner

@ Amy_IntelI just installed the latest driver you linked to. I will report back when I see how it behaves in more detail...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

There is a new driver version available, please give it a try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40].

Regards,

0 Kudos
MWadd
Beginner

I tried it this morning. Did not resolve the problem. In fact, if anything, it seems to have made it worse. 😞

0 Kudos
AWase
Beginner

I'd say the new driver (20.19.15.4404) is worse again. I installed it yesterday evening and continued working on the computer throughout the evening and it was working fine. This morning however it is worse then ever before. It's flickering on/off like crazy and won't stop.

I rolled back to 20.19.15.4380 again and restarted and now it is back to "normal" blinking/flickering on/off again (and not crazy flickering anymore).

For me 20.19.15.4404 is a bust!

0 Kudos
TElle
Beginner

I've been using the latest beta driver pretty heavily over the past few days, including heavy Android Studio/Chrome use on and off battery.

The flickering is still occurring occasionally, at least once per hour, although the frequency of the flickering has markedly improved over the previous beta driver. The flickering still seems to occur more frequently right after booting up the machine from sleep and tend to happen in succession i.e. there could be no flickering for 45 mins, then flickering occurs several times within a few minutes.

0 Kudos
DS_
Novice

Ok. This has been one of the most frustrating experiences in all my life, and I'm not kidding. This process has been going on for weeks, and has caused incredible loss of productivity in my job. I'm not a gamer and I use this computer for my business, so having to deal with this issue day after day, and trying different solutions for a problem I thought was on my end caused me a lot of headaches, pain and also loss of money to be honest.

After buying 3 different cables, buying a 4k monitor and returning it, buying a second 4k monitor and returning it, and a third monitor have the main board changed by the vendor I realized that the problem couldn't be nothing else but the drivers of the i7-6700K. I couldn't believe that a company like Intel wouldn't test their products with several monitors to establish at least a strong baseline test. I was sure a company the size of Intel would buy 5 or even 10 (or more) 4K monitors and several motherboards from different vendors and test their product thoroughly before putting a product in the market. My experience shows that it's not the case.

I installed every single driver in this site, including the latest betas (4380 and 4404). As of now (Mar 18, 2016) I can tell you categorically that the i7-6700K does not support monitors with 4K resolution. How did I found out? As soon as I installed an NVIDIA Quadro K1200 card, the monitor started to work perfectly at all resolutions and frequency rates.

I know I should have tried this earlier in the process, but the behavior of the monitor was so bizarre (loud clicking noises, flashing screens, etc), that I couldn't fathom that just a driver could bring a monitor down in that fashion. Also, I thought as I said, well, Intel must have tested with many different hardware before rolling out this product. Moreover, the recommendations I've been getting from this forum to try different things like install different drivers, changing DP cables, etc. prompted me to believe that something was wrong on my end and not on the Intel processor/driver end. How wrong I was!

I find this unacceptable and a disrespect with your customers. This is really disappointing. I would much prefer you (Intel) had just notified customers that it recognizes the problem and is working on a solution. I give up, at this point, I will stick with the NVIDIA card as I don't have any more time to waste. I will unsubscribe to this forum and live happy ever after and put this behind me.

What a shame!

0 Kudos
IFrie2
Beginner

Same Probleme here: I have got the HP Pavilion 15-ak031ng with i7 6700HQ + GTX950. Extreme flickering and the green bars were appearing. After the update only the flickering is here but is still annoying.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Screen flickering, Display Driver stops working

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

sometimes

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

HP Pavilion 15-ak031ng

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hybrid (Intel 530 + GTX950)

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Laptop-Display

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

None

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Win 10 x64 Pro

VBIOS (video BIOS) version...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Let me run some tests to see if I can replicate this issue, I will be updating this thread.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
WWikt
Beginner

I have the same problem on a laptop with i7 6700hq and gtx960 2GB ASUS.

Please write an issue processor or the driver?

I wants to return and I need to know

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

I'm still working with this matter, as soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Wiktor007, please refer to post # 14.

0 Kudos
JLong9
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Main laptop display will flicker every few seconds when an external display is connected via HDMI

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Fails 100% of the time when an external display is connected

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Inspiron 15 7559

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hybrid

Intel HD Graphics 530

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP: Samsung SyncMaster 215tw

How much memory [RAM] in...

0 Kudos
JLong9
Beginner

After much playing I discovered if I change the refresh rate for my main laptop display from 60p Hz -> 48p Hz (the only two options listed in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel) the problem goes away. Hopefully this works for others.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Intel is currently working on testing and fixing flickering and blinking issues; however, I still do not have an estimate. Please keep checking the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center for further driver releases.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LShie
Beginner

Intel please fix this problem. Just bought a $1000 Star Wars special edition laptop just last month. I cannot use my laptop for the main purpose I bought it for. This is ridiculous and i CANNOT return this laptop. Out of ALL the laptops out there Star Wars associates with Intels GLITCHED and DEFECTED graphics card rendering it USELESS. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED. Why was this not taken off the shelf and recalled IMMEDIATELY? $1000 is alot of money to spend on JUNK! I've tried EVERYTHING including lowering down the resolution which should NOT have to be done on my brand new computer that YOU ALL decided would be a GREAT choice for the Star Wars special edition laptop? I can't even enjoy the Core i5 processor and the 6 GB of ram! All i see is GLITCHING, CONSTANT FLASHES OF COLOR TWITCHING ON MY SCREEN. I NEED TO USE MY LAPTOP PLEASE HELP!!!! I've been checking this forum for 3 weeks almost a month now, WHAT ARE WE WAITING ON?? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

0 Kudos
RDipa
Beginner
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

This is still under under investigation. Please keep checking the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center for further driver releases.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i am having the same issue with my new Dell Inspiron 7559? any updates?

0 Kudos