Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20791 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver causing screen flickering

INajj
Novice

Dear Intel Support Team,

I have recently purchased a new laptop, a custom built https://www.bto.eu/bto-x-book-15cl73.html# product-specs X BOOK.

The laptop is fitted with an Intel Core i7-6700HQ quad-core and a GeForce GTX 960M 2GB.

The graphics adapter is an Intel® HD Graphics 530.

The operating system is a Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

I have a flickering screen problem that is very annoying, the screen keeps flashing on and off, even sometimes showing thin green horizontal lines and this doesn't

go away with a restart or a shutdown.

I disabled the adapter and everything worked fine.

I have the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- latest version of the driver for the 64 bit CPU architecture.

One thing worth mentioning, is that I didn't have the problem until I installed Visual Studio 2015 !!

I reset my operating system and everything was fine until I installed Visual Studio 2015 again.

Kindest Regards,

Ibrahim Najjar

109 Replies
DH3
Beginner

Same thing here on a home-built desktop..The screen flickers and often goes blank for several seconds or more.

Sometimes I have to unplug and reinsert the HDMI cable to regain the screen.(screen saver and power save are off)

My build: Core i5-6600K, Asus Z170M-Plus with 16GB corsair DDR-4 3000.

Seasonic 520W Fanless 80 Plus Platinum power supply (Also tried with Corsair HX1000i PS)

Fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro 64 upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64 onto Samsung V-Nand 950 M.2 SSD

HDMI out to a Visio flat screen at 1080P 60hz (tried 24 and 50hz - no luck)

3D Mark11 test consistently causes the flickering to occur but it also happens randomly at idle.

Have also done a fresh install of Windows 7 pro on a SATA SSD on the same machine with the same results.

Have used different HDMI cables and also had the same result using DVI cable to a different monitor.

Also removed and reset CPU in the 1151 socket. System runs cool about 22C at idle and 45 to 50C during benchmark tests.

Was running driver version 10.18.15.4274, updated to 20.19.15.4352 - no change.

Installed a GT 730 card and had no problems with the video (when plugged into the GT 730) but am shooting for a low power consumption, quiet HTPC so would like

to use the integrated video if possible (and the HD 530 actually outperforms the GT 730 by quite a bit anyway)

0 Kudos
HBeek
Beginner

Dan, I have the same processor and Asus MB. did you solve the problem? I still have issues screen goes black for a second or 2, sometimes it flickers.

0 Kudos
DH3
Beginner

I replaced the MB (and haggled with Microsoft over transferring my activation key) and the problem was initially gone with default bios settings but came back when I set the memory mode to XMP. I'm running DDR4 rated at 3000mhz and a slight overclock on the i5-6600K (4.4 Ghz).

Had to drop the memory clock to 2266mhz or 2133mhz to get the screen to stop flickering. Seems to have stabilized it out for now.

Adjusting DRAM or GPU voltage didn't seem to have much of an effect on the flickering problem.

0 Kudos
PDawg
Beginner

Same here on my i5-6600K. Flickering as described above, especially when the CPU is busy.

I just can't understand why this does not get at least proper approval, while as it seems it does not get fixed at all.

Instead we do get very important driver updates to better support some stupid random games. -.-

0 Kudos
MStan7
Novice

I had same problem with my second notebook the problem was caused by hinge that was gradually damaging not properly fitted signal cable.

So it is not always caused by bad driver or vcard.

To check if it is the signal cable just watch if screen flicker when opening/closing the lid.

Cya

0 Kudos
ARoth5
Beginner

Exact same problem here, random flickering/black out of the screen. It's a brand new HP Spectre x2 12, with a core m3 and HD 515 graphics. All the latest Win 10 updates applied and double checked for the latest drivers from HP, as well as Intel downloads (manual install). Nothing is fixing the issue.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

EarlRoth, please create a new thread posting a detailed explanation of your issue and system configuration, that way we can isolate each case.

Regards,

0 Kudos
ESchm3
Beginner

I'm having similar problems with random screen flickering but also every once in a while random pixels will just give out causing lines to appear across the monitor. This is on an Alienware 17 R3 I've had the problem since I got it. Here are my system specs. This was bought used so if anything is wrong, I wouldn't be surprised. Thx

0 Kudos
NClar2
Beginner

Amy_Intel I havent heard anything from intel concerning the issue. Is there anymore news? solutions?

0 Kudos
DS_
Novice

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm running a LG 31MU97 monitor at (4096 x 2160) @ 60Hz. CPU: i7-6700K with 32GB RAM. I tried several drivers including the last one (beta) 4380. They all present the same problem. The screen flickering occurs all the time almost rendering the machine unusable. Very disappointing. I need a solution for this (or at least a workaround) as soon as possible as this is my work desktop and it's greatly affecting my productivity.

DS_
Novice

Do we have any forecast of when we will have a new driver release? not sure how long I can wait. Today I tried to run my LG 31MU97 at 50Hz, but after a couple of hours the problem restarted and the computer became pretty much unusable. This is a very serious issue and should be addressed at the highest priority level support. Please, let me know how long I will have to wait for a definitive solution.

0 Kudos
MW7
Beginner

I agree! We need a solution and quickly, this issue doesn't seem to have mmuch if any attention from intel, and with people spending anyting from 500 - 2000 on pc's using processors that use the hd graphics 530, it's bizarre that the issue can go so unnoticed for so long.

I've always used AMD paired with Nvidia graphics cards but I thought I would give intel a try since the specs looked appealing... but god am i regretting it already, from day one I had this problem, have had the laptop a week and have updated everything possible but no change.

Personally I get screen flickering randomly more than anything, but say I use it for an hour I can expect it to flicker at least 30 or so times in that time. Which is INCREDIBLY irritating when trying to work, especially when it gets into the late hours and your're getting tired it just makes doing everything that bit harder to concentrate on.

Sorry for the rant.. but I'm fed up and have just emptied my wallet on a laptop to increase my productivity, and it seems to be doing the opposite if anyting.

Maybe it's AMD in future

0 Kudos
DSadl2
Beginner

Hi guys

I solve my problem with flickering screen.

There was problem with dram4 profile.

I have hyperex fury 2666Mhz but when i use this profile or when I turned off xmp in bios my screen starts goes black.

Now manually changed profile to 2400MHz and after 4h in prime95 no prroblems.

0 Kudos
PDawg
Beginner

Some good news for me, and hopefully for some of you guys as well:

>>>> If you're running in XMP mode, please try and disable XMP in the BIOS. <<<<

Some great guy on the MSI forums pointed out that too high voltage might cause the IGP to glitch.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=262980.11 Here's the link (reply # 11), hope this works for you just as it did for me.

0 Kudos
MW7
Beginner

Unfortunately for me I don't have that option in my bios (Insyde F.77)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was experiencing this issue since months on my Dell Inspiron 7559. Recently it was resolved. i had tried updating the drivers but it didn't work. i updated my BIOS driver and it worked,

0 Kudos
AWase
Beginner

I have the exact same issue on my Dell XPS 9550. Dell support has asked me to update BIOS and Intel HD Graphics 530.

Currently I am on version 20.19.15.4331 of the Intel drivers and 10.18.13.6200 of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M.

I have only one screen attached using HDMI (high quality cable).

What happens for me is that the external screen goes black while the laptop screen remains on. After a second the external screen turns back on again. This can then repeat a number of times. Sometimes it only happens once but most often between five and ten times. At some point it just didn't stop so I had to restart the whole computer.

I have tested on three different monitors and it is only monitors in high resolution doing this. The one monitor which is max. 1366x768 I do not see the on/off behaviour only on my 4K screens (3840x2160).

One of my monitors has a "log" view and from that I can see that it is the signal that just disappears so the monitor thinks the HDMI source was turned off.

For me it is most often visible after I start working in the mornings, after waking the laptop from sleep, then the screen can go off/on a few times but then runs fine for several hours. I would say that for me it is mostly happening after the computer has been dormant and the external monitor has been turned off by power settings.

I've noticed that there are several reports on my laptop, XPS 15 9550, so I won't bother with a separate "report"...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

Intel is still working on fixing this issue. We thank you for all your inputs that are definitely helping to find a solution for this. In the mean time, I have gathered some fixes that you users reported on this thread, so please give them a try and let us know if they helped;

# 30

Actually I think I fixed it. What I did was go to the desktop, right click, then select graphics properties. Select the power option, then on the left panel select option on Battery. Then I disabled Panel Self Refresh, Extended Battery, and Display Power Savings Tech. Probably the self refresh is what fixed it for me, but i'm not messing with it since it hasn't blinked at me in like 30 minutes. Maybe this will help someone else.

# 35

In my case, I am using MobaXterm on an HP ProBook.

Very bad flickering in VNC windows on ProBook built-in panel or external Samsung 1920x1080 screen.

However, when I changed to "Max Performance" in Graphics Properties / Power and also reduced colour depth to 16 bit, the flickering has disappeared.

I realise this won't be a fix for everyone, however, I don't require max colour depth so, for now, at least I can work without a migraine!

8-))

# 50

I found the problem to my flickering external monitors.

It is called the ground loop effect. My Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW DS71T suffers from it (2 out of 3 laptops tried have the problem).

All there is to do is to remove the grounding on the power plug. In Canada there's a 3rd prong that needs to be removed.

You might try it to see if it fixes your flickering issues.

# 69

Hi guys

I solve my problem with flickering screen.

There was problem with dram4 profile.

I have hyperex fury 2666Mhz but when i use this profile or when I turned off xmp in bios my screen starts goes black.

Now manually changed profile to 2400MHz and after 4h in prime95 no prroblems.

# 71

Some good news for me, and hopefully for some of you guys as well:

>>>> If you're running in XMP mode, please try and disable XMP in the BIOS. <<<<</span>

Some great guy on the MSI forums pointed out that too high voltage might cause the IGP to glitch.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=262980.11 Here's the link (reply # 11), hope this works for you just as it did for me.

# 80

I was experiencing this issue since months on my Dell Inspiron 7559. Recently it was resolved. i had tried updating the drivers but it didn't work. i updated my BIOS driver and it worked,

Regards,

0 Kudos
AWase
Beginner

Thanks for the collection, Amy_Intel!

I can report that my flickering seems to be much improved since installing the latest Beta driver: win64_154014.4352.zip

The Installer told me that my laptop didn't meet the requirements (Windows RTM version) so I manually added the driver from Device Manager.

It has still flickered after that but only twice I think since installing while it would normally have been at least 20 times so definitely better with that driver!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Screen turning on and off ( flickering ) and sometimes even some lines (gray or green) appear across the screen.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Yes it is happening 100% of the time. Restarting nor shutting off and starting again helps.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

LENOVO_MT_Y700_17ISK_ideapad

Model : 80Q0

Intel® Core™ i7 6700 HQ

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 4GB GDDR5

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP ( Local Flat Panel )

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

<span styl...

0 Kudos
TElle
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Frequent Screen Flickering, screen goes black for a few seconds at least once every 15 minutes. Flickering sometimes occurs as often as every 45 seconds.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Every time I use my computer, whether I am running Visual Studio, Chrome and MS Office or if the computer is turned on with no applications open.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS 9550

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m w/ 2gb Vram

Intel i7 6700HQ w/ HD 530 Graphics

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP: 3840x2160 (4k) 60p Hz

<span style="font-weight: inherit; font...

0 Kudos