Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20786 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 driver crashing

ICust31
Novice

Hello,

I got a new Asus Windows 10 64-bit laptop that has both Intel HD graphics 530 and nVidia GeForce GTX 960m dedicated graphics. When browsing the web, especially while using Google Images, my computer freezes up for a second, unfreezes, and I get a notifcation saying the Intel HD graphics driver crashed and recovered itself. This happens multiple times per day and there are no driver updates yet from the Asus website as this is a new model of laptop.

I've also had a couple of blue screens due to "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" that I believe is related, as it freezes up while browsing the web much like the driver crashes, but then it goes to a black screen for a couple of seconds and then the blue screen.

162 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

Please bear in mind Intel is currently working on testing and fixing flickering and blinking issues; however, I still do not have an estimate. Please keep checking the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software for further driver releases.

Regards,

0 Kudos
ICust31
Novice

Even after updating to the posted driver, I'm still having issues with the driver crashing and recovering, sometimes it even crashes 3-5 times while the screen is frozen a few seconds. The issue isn't with flickering, it's the driver crashing, and fairly often leading to a full Windows crash when it fails to recover.

0 Kudos
ekili
Beginner

I returned win8.1 O.S.My graphics card is working correctly in 24 hours.But problem is still continuing with win7 and win10.

0 Kudos
SBren3
Beginner

I'm having this same problem... The only workaround I have come up with so far is to revert back to the Microsoft Basic Graphics driver, but that's not a solution. I also found that increasing the available memory to the integrated graphics in BIOS will allow it to run longer before freezing...

Currently running: 15.40.18.4380 found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

0 Kudos
PHarl
Beginner

Well, make it a priority. This is clearly a huge problem.

0 Kudos
MWadd
Beginner

Amy: I am having the same problem on a new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Windows 10, 64 bit). The current driver on my machine in the Intel HD graphics 520. When I try to install the beta driver manually, following the instructions you have posted on this site, my computer tells me that "the best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date. Intel (R) HD Graphics 520." For what it's worth, the crashing/recovery of the driver seems to be happening primarily when I use Corel WordPerfect. But it's happening frequently enough that it's a real nuisance. Please advise.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

There is new driver version available, please give it a try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40].

Regards,

0 Kudos
MWadd
Beginner

Amy: still experiencing the problem with the new beta driver...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

drw, in your previous post you mentioned that your computer is new, so have you tried contacting Lenovo in regard to this matter? If you haven't, I would strongly recommend doing it.

Regards,

0 Kudos
MWadd
Beginner

Respectfully, I don't think this is a Lenovo problem. I am aware that there are numerous discussion threads on the Intel communities about this problem, and it is happening to people using a wide range of different machines. I must say that it is more than a little frustrating to know that Intel has been aware of this problem for so long but has been unable to come up with a workable solution. Perhaps Intel should consider replacing components for people who are suffering through this matter...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I understand your frustration dealing with this issue and I want to let you know that we are currently working on fixing this issue.

I suggested to contact Levono because you mentioned that your laptop is new and having these issues with a brand new laptop is unusual, another thing that you have to bear in mind is that there is a big chance that your computer manufacturer has some customized drivers for your computer model, so it is possible that they can provide with more drivers, BIOS updates and troubleshooting in regard to this issue with your laptop.

Regards,

0 Kudos
KH3
Novice

Amy, respectfully, I solve supplier integration issues on major multi billion dollar aerospace systems. 99% of the time, parts were selected by cost, similarity, or an isolated performance spec. And they don't work. Who is to blame? The system integrator gets the majority for badly written requirements, failure to test, or forced buys for varying reasons. But very often the suppliers do not ask about the system being designed and inadvertently supply the wrong part. They are also culpable for a failure. All of us I dare say have tried to source help from our manufacturers. But Intel should be researching this frantically. Look at how Sony Vaio was taken down by similar finger pointing back and forth. Do you really want Intel to keep shipping parts to manufacturers that do not match needs, or do you want to be part of the solution? If you need help, contact me. I do this for a living.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

CoKat, thank very much for your feedback.

Regards,

0 Kudos
CMatt5
Beginner

I still have not found a working solution to this problem. I have tried the manual install suggested with no success.

0 Kudos
MVive
Beginner

I'm having similar issues in my Alienware 17 R3. I tried numerous drivers and the 530 keeps crashing, sometimes giving a black screen and forcing me to reboot. I have opted to change the global settings so that the Nvidia GPU manages almost all graphical tasks and the laptop works fine this way, but this is not an ideal solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the exact same problem and submitted multiple IT tickets regarding this issue. Is Intel ever going to get this fixed?

ekili
Beginner

All of us are waiting a solution,It isn't fixed yet

0 Kudos
SAppl
Beginner

Have the same issue, Dell i7559-2515BLK laptop, i7-6700HQ. Beta driver did not fix issue.

Sam

0 Kudos
KH3
Novice

Same problem as OP and others. I have a new ASUS N501-JW with NVIDIA 960M GTX and Intel HD4600. Same exact crash and recover but after a couple of months of this, now getting BSODs, and today a little black box sitting in the middle of my display. This is a QUAD HD display, by the way (Samsung).

Tried reinstalling Windows, Intel site, you name it. Windows said it was an Intel / Asus interface problem. Like the others, nothing at ASUS site, in fact half the time I go there and they are politely down for maintenance themselves. My previous laptops (Dell, Sony Vaio) had no such issues. Frustrated as I am trying to start a business here, and impossible with all these issues.

JTorn2
Beginner

Same problem for me on brand new Asus N552VX. I really want to se some action now from Intel please!

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice

It's finally been fixed on my computer (Dell Inspiron 11 w/ i3-6100U and HD520). Dell had to release a BIOS / UEFI update that contained these "fixes":

-Add uCode 0x6A

-Enable fast boot

-Update GOP: 9.0.1040 & Vbios: 1034

-Update DPF code 1.29

-Support BR2

It may have been that bundled GOP and Vbios update that fixed the issue for me.

0 Kudos