Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics driver wont load - lack of resources

idata
Employee

I have just connected my monitor to the Displayport connector via a VGA adapter and although I am getting a display, windows won't load the display device due to what it claims is lack of resources. This means that I'm stuck on a 640x480 16 colour screen.

I have a nVidia GT240 which I was using and I have uninstalled the drivers for that hoping that this would free up some resources.......it didn't make a difference.

I've tried the latest Intel graphics driver and the latest Asus graphics driver which made no difference.

I don't have all the devices which are available on my motherboard enabled, those that I don't currently use are disabled in the Bios, which should free up resources however, again it makes no difference. Thunderbolt is definately disabled, the wireless devices are definately disabled and the eSATA might be disabled.

Surely, with LucidLogix it should be possible to have a discrete graphics card installed when using the Intel on board graphics?

What can I do to get a decent display resolution and colour depth?

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

What is exactly the graphics controller model?

See here to identify this product:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009482.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009482.htm

Also, I need to know the operating system version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I apologise for not supplying sufficient information but it was extremely difficult working at such a low resolution, refresh rate and colour depth.

It's a fairly new build with an i7-3770K hence HD4000 and Asus P8Z77-V Premium using the Displayport connector with displayport v1.2 to VGA adapter and a CRT monitor. Using Windows 7 x64.

My concern was whether displayport was capable of using a 85Hz refresh rate at my normal working resolution (1280x1024).

I did have a GT240 installed when I first tried the displayport adapter but I have since removed it hoping that it would get things working.......It has, the drivers are now managing to get the needed resources and I do have a display. 1280x1024@85Hz which is what I wanted

However, I do need the GT240 installed and I am hoping that it will be able to provide decoding assistance for DGDecodeNV for AVISynth hardware assisted decoding which is programmed by Donald Graft (DG).

If there was an Intel graphics alternative then I would not need the nVidia card at all. ATM I have tried using LAV decoder and ffdshow to decode 1080p video using graphedit/directshowsource and indexing the raw H.264 video using MKVMergeGUI with indexes for every frame in an attempt to get a similar effect to DGDecodeNV which provides excellent frame accurate decoding.

Not all that effective unfortunately because the beginning is full of blocks which means extra work adding extra video at the beginning so that the decoding can get the necessary video for the section that I need.

It's far from perfect and I don't think many people who are into video encoding would do it. What is needed is an application like DGDecodeNV and then Intel HD video might make some inroads into the core video encoding groups.

Speed wise, it does seem faster than the video decoding engine on my GT240 but it was limited a lot by being single threaded when I tried it which didn't help the speed. It should be capable of much faster, I hope. The power usage is low, which I like. However things like video resizing are proving to be a problem. That is well supported, as is de-interlacing on DGDecodeNV.

Still early days as I only got things working yesterday and had a mess around with the Intel H.264 decoding.

Now I need to get my GT240 re-installed and working alongside the Intel graphics. I just hope that it will work okay with AVISynth in that configuration.

Incidentally, Donald Graft has mentioned that he had considered writing an application for Intel graphics hardware however ATM he doesn't have a recent enough Intel system with Quicksync. He has provided a great deal to the video encoding community over the years and his tools are regularly used in most freeware encoding applications.

It might be worth mentioning this to your superiors as it could be an opportunity to get Intel graphics hardware into the grass roots encoding community. It's either that or wait until DG's next system upgrade.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Having a video card on the system, it automatically disables the graphics portion of the processor

You could try to load the latest graphics drivers for your onboard graphics.

This is the link for the latest version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22605&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22605&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass this comments to the proper support team

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

allan_intel wrote:

Having a video card on the system, it automatically disables the graphics portion of the processor

You could try to load the latest graphics drivers for your onboard graphics.

This is the link for the latest version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22605&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22605&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass this comments to the proper support team

I have found some time to put the nVidia card back in to see if it will all work together.........it doesn't

The Bios display works and all the way up to and including the loading/starting windows displays correctly but once the desktop opens, it's back to 16 colours and low resolution. The Intel HD graphics device shows a lack of resources once again.

I set the iGPU as the primary display in the Bios and enabled multiple displays for Lucid Logix. Why is there a problem getting enough resources to drive both displays? Two or more graphics cards can be run at the same time and the Intel HD graphics is meant to work with a discrete card using Lucid Logix. So why isn't it working for me.

It's difficult doing anything on a 16 colour low res display but I did run DGIndexNV and that came up with an error and wouldn't run as it should. For some reason it wouldn't even show my nVidia card in the available display adapters.

I had the display connected to the Intel HD graphics and I also tried connecting my 2nd monitor input to the nVidia card with the primary to the Intel, so there was a display connection. That has always worked in the past when an AMD card is installed with the nVidia card.

I am already using those display drivers.

Is there anything that I can do to resolve the resource conflict?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Can anyone help with this?

It should be possible to use Intel video and have a separate graphics card installed as Lucid Logix states. However why won't the Intel HD graphics work when I have a nVidia card installed even after it was working before the nVidia card is re-installed?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Lucid Virtu, and other similar applications, allow you to use a discrete video card along with an Intel(R) video controller integrated in the processor. However, the display connections should be done only to one of the video adapters, not to both as using one display connected to the add-in video card and the other to the motherboard's ports managed by the Intel(R) video controller.

Furthermore, system resources are managed by the operating system itself once the system boots and the BIOS initializes the hardware in the system. What you may try would be to update the BIOS in your system using this URL:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PREMIUM/# support_Download_8 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PREMIUM/# support_Download_8

In addition, have you tested a direct connection to the system without using that DP>VGA adapter that you are using? Using a straight connection should be done as part of the troubleshooting process.

0 Kudos