Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel HD graphics 5500 is crashing while launching Assassin's Creed Syndicate

jgupt1
Novice

Sorry if this has been asked before, did a quick search but couldn't really find a close match to my problem.

My computer specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5500u

GPU: Intel HD graphics 5500 / Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M (4GB Version)

RAM:8GB DDR3

If I set Assassin's Creed to use my Nvidia GPU, it launches fine, and there's no lag when playing at FHD/"Very High" settings. The game lags if i set it to "Ultra High".

I want to test how this game performs in Intel HD Graphics 5500, but for some reason, the game fails to launch if I set the preferred GPU to "Intel HD Graphics 5500" in Nvidia Control Panel.

I get an error saying the graphics driver has stopped responding.

Google search suggests the game is playable using intel HD graphics 5500, but it's not working on my laptop.

Could someone suggest a fix? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks..

UPDATE:

Here's my Intel graphics driver:

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

If you click on "view problem details" you can read the faulty module and the program counter.

This should help Intel or the game developer to narrow the issue.

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

Thank you Stefan,

Sorry I did not include that bit of information.

Here it is, this is what's presented if I click on "View problem details"--

The above makes absolutely no sense to me, perhaps you can help me identify what's causing this?

Once again, Google search indicates the game works in Intel HD graphics 5500, this looks like a problem specific to my laptop, not an Intel problem..

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

So the game itself crashes with a buffer overrun (C00000005).

I would send this info to the developer of the game.

He can look up the "exception offset" (program counter) with a disassembler and hopefully deduct the issue in the matching source code.

0 Kudos
jgupt1
Novice

Thank you Stefan.

I sent them an email, and they replied the game has not been tested officially on Intel graphics. They don't have official support for Intel graphics and attempting to run it on HD5500 might result in unpredictable behavior. They recommended I should not try to change default Nvidia settings, as the game has been optimized to run on Nvidia cards and the best possible settings are auto-applied by the "GeForce Experience" companion software that comes bundled with the GTX driver.

So I guess this is case closed on HD5500, the game manufacturer is claiming they don't support HD5500 (although strangely I can find youtube videos of people claiming to play the game on HD5500)

0 Kudos