Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel Iris Plus Graphics not compatible with Windows Hypervisor Platform

turnip_king
Novice

I am only able to run Windows Hypervisor Platform if Intel Iris Plus Graphics is disabled. When I enable the display device my laptop immediately crashes into a BSOD video_tdr_failure.

I have a different laptop running Intel HD Graphics that does not have this problem. It will run the Windows Hypervisor Platform just fine.

Here are the specs for the faulty system.

• Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
  • x64
  • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics 27.20.100.8587
  • 16384 MB RAM
  • DirectX 12

Are there any Iris Plus driver versions that are proven to work with the Hypervisor Platform? Please let me know.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Tuee22
Novice

Update: there is now a firmware update available on the razer webpage for my machine http://drivers.razersupport.com//index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=1101&pcid=990&nav=0,350,990&_ga=2.206293395.1801480808.1608144932-1523930810.1607974270

Sounds like the previous update got taken down due to a performance degradation issue. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
45 Replies
iamgeef
Novice

FYI: I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, enabled the Hyper-V feature (separate to the Windows Hypervisor Platform feature), rebooted and have exactly the same issue.

I'm on the same system as the op too - early 2020 Razer Blade Stealth with the same Intel Iris Plus igpu (but obviously now I'm on Win10 Pro) 

Booted into Safe Mode, disabled the Hyper-V feature, reboot, but still the same problem with the only fix to use the Microsoft Basic driver which doesn't work with multiple screens.

I also tried the beta driver, but still the same problem.

It's impossible to use my laptop with any Hyper-V feature because of this driver issue,

turnip_king
Novice

@Alberto_Sykes, it's been almost a month since I last heard anything from you guys. What's going on? I still cannot use WSL2 or docker unless I disable my Intel driver. It is still causing BSODs.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

Updates?

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Hi @turnip_king 

This is still in the queue to be investigated though I'm trying to escalate it. This takes time to run its course through the process though. I'll follow up as soon as I have details to share or require more information. Thanks.

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos
charliesbot
Novice

Hi, I have the same issue. I can't use WSL 2 and therefore I can't use the laptop to work.

This is taking way too long than expected! Could you give us any hint or solution?

0 Kudos
cg
Novice
I returned my device due to lack of support from Intel and Razer on a solution.
turnip_king
Novice

I'm thinking about it too. Basically impossible to use the laptop for work stuff now. Taking waaaay too long after they couldn't prove it worked.

I would really like for them to have acknowledged that it doesn't work explicitly, instead of it just being implicitly obvious. Makes it seem like they are just straight up ignoring us. After so many weeks (*months!), they pretty much are.

Very unhappy, please escalate.

0 Kudos
charliesbot
Novice

@turnip_king is there anything else that we can do to pressure Razer about this?

I started a thread on reddit and there are more folks being vocal about the problem. I also have an ongoing ticket with Razer Support.

Can't believe this problem hasn't been solved. I just got the laptop and I'm thinking about returning it too.

@Bryce_Intel @Alberto_Sykes any updates? We can't use our laptop to work. Which is insane.

0 Kudos
iamgeef
Novice

I posted on Reddit over a week ago in the Intel subreddit Q4 Tech Support thread: 

Thanks for contacting us via Reddit, we checked internally and your inquiry is still under revision. Please expect a response soon on the community forum.

I also noticed a new driver was available as of 19th October so thought perhaps the two were related but it doesn't fix it.

I haven't tried contacting Razer yet, figured it was an Intel issue - but I'll raise a ticket with them too. 

0 Kudos
edge
Beginner

I too am stuck with a non-functioning laptop because of this issue.

It took me many "Reset my PC" attempts before I realised that the install of WSL was triggering the startup BSOD which then led me here. I cannot do my work because of this as I need WSL2.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

My strategy is just to complain louder and longer.

0 Kudos
charliesbot
Novice

Folks, it's solved! I've installed the latest firmware from Razer's page and it finally allowed me to install WSL 2!

http://drivers.razersupport.com//index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=4077&nav=0,350,990,1082

iamgeef
Novice

Same, thanks @charliesbot  - Just installed the latest firmware and I could enable the Hypervisor features (and wsl2) without the Intel Iris Plus Graphics driver breaking everything.

0 Kudos
turnip_king
Novice

Fixed for me too, thanks for the update charlies. I am going to keep this topic open until we get a response from Intel too, for the sake of those without Razer laptops.

0 Kudos
JReyes1
Beginner

Is there a direct link to the download? When I click on the link it takes me to the downloads page of Razer. Then, after navigating and getting to the Drivers for the Stealth, it only shows a document saying that the drivers are delivered by Windows Update.

0 Kudos
Rob-Otter
Beginner

i get the same result. the download is not existing anymore.

Could someone provide the version number of the driver?

0 Kudos
Tuee22
Novice

I am also having the same issue with a 2020 Razer Stealth. As soon as I enable WSL2 I am no longer able to boot. I tried to follow the links to the razer firmware update however I was unable to find anything to download or install.

Can someone provide a list of steps for the fix?

benc2256
Beginner

Hi @charliesbot ,

Got the same issue, ended up having to format my RZ09-0310 over it... Would you mind sharing the details of the driver? The link no longer works...

Cheers,

Ben

0 Kudos
iamgeef
Novice

I wonder why they removed it from their Downloads? Hopefully it's not because it's full of bugs....I haven't had any issues since so 🤞

Anyway, I found the exe in a backup I took before I applied it, attached in .7z 

0 Kudos
Tuee22
Novice
Thanks for uploading this. Unfortunately I'm not comfortable installing something whose origin I can't independently verify-- nothing personal 🙂

It would be great to get input from Intel on this, as it's a conflict between their driver and the OS it was written for.
0 Kudos