Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Intel integrated graphics outputs only 6-bit color depth?!

VZehi
Beginner

Hello!

Recently I've bought a Dell G5 laptop with Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics chip (current installed driver version: 23.20.16.4973). However, I've noticed in the display settings that the resolution, which it is working on is with 6-bit bit depth (I will attach a photo at the end). If I connect an external monitor through the HDMI, then it's connected to the dedicated Nvidia and the resolution then is with 8-bit bit depth. Is there a way that I can use the native laptop's screen, controlled by the Intel's integrated graphics with 8-bit resolution or whatever the max can be. I know that the display of this laptop is not great by any means, but can it be this bad or maybe 6-bit is normal?! I've read that it might be from drivers, from quantization range (?!), but nothing for a good and easy contemporary solution.

When I add a bit of saturation, I can't really complain from the colors, but my concern is that the white is too bright and the dark colors are almost flat black, so images or videos with shades and shadows or dark ones in general are not with very good visibility. I don't know, if this comes from the 6-bit thing or just the display is a trash, but would be very happy and grateful to hear some more expert opinions regarding these topics.

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
BMinz
Beginner

It seems like your laptop has 6 bit display equipped.

0 Kudos
VZehi
Beginner

Hello!

Thank you very much for the answer.

Looks like I'll have to live with that. Any idea about how can I make the white less birght and the dark colors with more differentiation from each other?!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
BMinz
Beginner

Hello. You can adjust white point luminance with backlight buttons.

First of all, uninstall all "color enhance" utilities and set adjustments in graphics control panel > color tab to "default".

Then recognize laptop display model and try to find .icm profile on web and install it in control panel > color management settings, otherwise use sRGB. If that didn't help, use monitor gamma calibration software like atrise lutcurve, calibrilla etc. It's not easy, but who said that it would be easy. Good luck.

0 Kudos
BlackCobra
Beginner

But I have never seen any laptop which has intel UHD 620 or 630 with an 8-bit color depth.

Can You provide any screenshot with an 8-bit internal display on intel UHD 620 or 630?

0 Kudos
RKuta
Novice

Its well known bug on newers drivers, try 21.20.16.4821 and older, newest drivers has wrong bit depth on most Dell displays.

0 Kudos
VZehi
Beginner

Hello!

Thank you very much for your time and answers.

I've tried uninstalling all of the integrated graphics' drivers and software and after that by default Windows 10's resolution was 8-bit. However, can't actually tell that there was some noticable change in screen's colors.

Thank you once again.

Bye and wish you all the best!

0 Kudos
LWANG49
Beginner

This is a bug that should be fixed ASAP.

When the Intel UHD630 driver is uninstalled the screen shows much better color performance (brighter white and darker black).

I donwloaded the latest version win64_25.20.100.6323 and the problem is still there.

I should shoot a ticket to intel team but I don't know how to.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sacrat

Thank you for joining the thread.

I recommend creating a new thread, please make sure you add the information of the system model and specs, model of the hardware that is presenting the problem and detail information of the problem that you are having, plus all the information that you have added to this thread, so we can get more information about the problem.

Please share with us the information requested on the following link:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Thank you; hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
LWANG49
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I have created a thread here:

Louis

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I would like to provide an update on the latest status of this issue.

I'm happy to report that we finally have a fix for this issue checked-in our latest (internal) driver build. At this point we're just making sure it goes through sufficient quality testing, but it is closer to public release.

The fix should be included in driver build 100.6389 and higher. As soon as I have a release estimate or further news I'll update this thread /thread/120305 https://communities.intel.com/thread/120305..

Once again, thank you for your patience while we worked on this issue.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

JVerm1
Beginner

Is this build 100.6389 available now??

If not, what is the ETA?

RFalc
Beginner

I need a fix for this too because I can't install DCH drivers.

0 Kudos
oOrha
Beginner

I cant update newest version. (HP Intel® Core™ i5-8300H Processor and intel uhd 630.)

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
JHamm3
Beginner

Have the same issue with dark areas as black - in windows search type : "calibrate display color"

• this brings up the gamma adjustment (move this up a notch or two)
  • minimize it so you can put it side by side with a photo or desktop background that has dark shades show as black
  • in my case about 75% worked well
  • skip brightness and contrast (former you can do in screen settings, latter is not available)
  • skip true type (unless the text reads blurred you can skip that)

this solved for me that anything dark displayed black - very happy with the result

would like to see the fixed driver in future

SWill21
Beginner

I have a similar 6 bit Problem. When I link my G5 to a Dell U2715H (with Nvidia 1060 Q) via Thunderbolt USB c.

Connecting this way, I get a prefect 8 Bit monitor in the U27.

But when I daisy chain it to a second monitor, using an upstream DP cable the First Monitor Bit depth Drop to 6 Bit - which is useless!

Checked that the U27 is DP1.2 compliant.

Unistalling the Intel drivers get me 8Bit agasin on the U27, but loses DP link to second monitor.

When checked intel site, I can see there is a newer version of the 630 Driver for my machine, but unable to install because it appers locked to Dells version of the drivers.

I really need to either roll back to a drive that supports 8 bit DP1.2 chaining, of update to a (hopefully fixed) latest version. I suspect I'm going to get nowhere with intel and dell blaming each other...

What can I do???

Never had these problems with my mac book.

regretting the move, a bit. 😣

0 Kudos
GKell5
Beginner

I am also experiencing this issue - the Intel Graphics driver would only allow 6 bit color. The Dell G5-15 5587 display is capable of 8 bit color. The Dell current (2019-04-24) approved Intel driver is version 24.20.100.6287. If I uninstall this driver, when Windows reboots, i comes up with the default "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" installed and the bit depth is 8 bit. After about 5 minutes, the Intel driver was re-installed (have not figured out why yet). I tried the latest Intel driver (dch_igcc_win64_26.20.100.6709) and this is still showing 6 bit color. So this is still an issue.

LWANG49
Beginner

Intel is doing nothing on that. Years have passed.

0 Kudos
BlackCobra
Beginner

i noticed that this problem occurs in uhd 620 and 630

i have seen a laptop containing intel hd 5500 which is old and half in price that of mine but it gives 8 bit color depth.

0 Kudos