Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20810 Discussions

Intel iris xe - Screen turning green and pink pixels then shutting down computer

hugh1
Beginner

Hi there,

Recently, my Intel NUC with the Intel Iris XE graphics card, I have been playing video games. It was working fine until yesterday when the game (BeamNG Drive) crashed with the error code, ‘Fatal error’ and something about the graphics card. I tried starting the game again, and about 2 minutes in, the whole computer crashed, displaying green and pink pixels for about 10 seconds, then restarting the computer automatically. I have attempted to run the game again many times including other games like Assetto Corsa. I had turned Intel Boost and sustained power (something like that) up in the BIOS, but that was months ago. I have installed new drivers and tried starting the game in safe mode. When I start the game in safe mode, it doesn’t cause the coloured screen but only crashes the game and shows the ‘Fatal error’ error code. What should I do? Is my graphics card done?

The screen that shows up before the pc reboots is in the attached file. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello hugh1,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Before we proceed, let me gather more details about your system and the issue.

1. What is the complete model of your NUC?
  2. Are you having issue with just 1 or 2 games or all of it?
  3. What are the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello hugh1,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
hugh1
Beginner

Hi Michael,

I have been able to partially fix this problem for short term by changing the fan settings in the BIOS to fixed and fan off capability to off. This has seemed to have helped, although when running the games such as Assetto Corsa, BeamNG.Drive, Forza Horizon 5 etc. for extended periods of time, being about half an hour to an hour, the same screen will pop up and shut down the pc. I think I have installed the latest graphics driver to the pc, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe you could provide me with a step by step way to install the newest graphics driver to intel iris XE if you think it would help. I had been previously running the fan setting on 'cool' in the BIOS which had been perfectly fine until a few days before I first posted the issue here. I had also been running the Sustained power as around 150 and the Boost power supply around 190 in order to be able to run the games. At at least 30 fps. I spent around $2000 on this intel NUC with 2x 8gb sticks of RAM and 1TB of SSD. I am obviously very disappointed that it can't manage to run a game at 25fps for over 1 hour. 

Is there any way I could improve the performance of this? Would more storage or RAM help? Is there any way I could replace the graphics with more VRAM?

I'm pretty sure this is the NUC I have:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/refurbished-intel-rnuc11pahi7000-nuc-barebone-kit-i7-11th-gen-ac54916?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxqayBhDFARIsAANWRnTHB6eHhkcTA7GrlXp2OlWD7H2aaLuHCi0WX-FZZUZSjhGM-PXAZukaAqimEALw_wcB

Help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello hugh1,

Thank you for the reply.

Before we proceed with your question on the upgrade, let e just ask the following questions:

1. What is the temperature readings of the NUC during idle and while playing games?
  2. Are you getting this issue while playing games only?
  3. Can you provide the link of the Graphics driver that you installed?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello hugh1,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello hugh1,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Thank you and have a great day. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos