Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Iris Xe Graphics driver bit depth issue

JohnHin
Beginner

Hello. My laptop has the integrated Iris(R) Xe Graphics card, and it's currently running on Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 30.0.100.9955 graphics driver. This driver has a bug that will downgrade the bit depth of the laptop display from 8-bit to 6-bit. Disabling the intel driver and toggling it to the Microsoft basic graphics driver will return the bit depth back to 8-bit. My laptop is HP ENVY x360 15-es0xxx with 11th Gen intel i7-1165G7 and NVIDIA GeForce MX450 GPU, running on Windows 11 (21H2) 22000.282. Please solve this problem. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello JohnHin,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello JohnHin,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html 

3. Does the issue appear when only using the Nvidia card?

4. Does the issue appear with HP drivers?

5. Was the issue present on Windows 10?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JohnHin
Beginner

1. See "System_Support_Utility_Results"

2. See "Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics - Wednesday, 10 November 2021"

3. To my understanding, there is no way to disable the integrated intel graphics unit. HP locked their advanced BIOS so the intel card can't be disabled. Therefore, I can't run my laptop  using only the Nvidia card. The Nvidia graphics program won't even show the "display" configuration option, so I can't change parameters like resolution and refresh rate there.

4. The HP recommended driver is an older version of the intel driver. I tried to reinstall that, didn't help. 

5. Yes. The laptop came with Windows 10 preinstalled. The same  problem can also be seen there.

Hope this will help

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello JohnHin, 

Thanks for the information provided.

In order to help you further, please try the following:

1. Try the steps from the following link:

- Color Depth Shows 6-Bit Instead of 8-Bit or Higher: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057132/graphics.html

2. As a test, try with the previous driver version 30.0.100.9864:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/648245/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

3. Check with HP to confirm if there is any new BIOS version available.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello JohnHin, 

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JohnHin
Beginner

1. Nope, didn't work.

2. Installed, using it now, still 6 bit

3. The BIOS I'm using is the latest version.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello JohnHin, 

Before we continue further, please try and provide the following:

1. Can you share pictures of the settings where the color depth is wrong?

2. Can you manually change the color depth from the Nvidia control panel?

• Right-click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • Expand the Display, and then highlight the Change resolution.
  • On the right side, check if there is 8 BPC listed under Output color depth.
  • You may select 8 BPC and restart the device to witness the changes.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello JohnHin,  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Gsalvio
Beginner

Hi

I have the same problem on my new HP 250 G8 (I5 core 11thgeneration) and the same graphic video card Intel Iris XE.

I tried all the attempts shown in the topic (different drivers tried, old and new) but no change in the result:  downgrade the bit depth of the laptop display from 8-bit to 6-bit. The result in the colour performance is bad with a loss of colour vivacity and resolution.

Please let me know what i can do further .

Thanks

Giuseppe

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello JohnHin, 

I would like to add that since your laptop has "Hybrid graphics", in order to confirm if the issue is being caused by the Intel graphics or the Nvidia graphics, I recommend you to check this behavior also with the laptop manufacturer.

This is because they control every part of the laptop through the BIOS and they may need to check the hardware for malfunctions.

I will proceed to close this thread since seems that the support is no longer needed.

Regards,    

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos