Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20496 Discussions

Iris Xe Graphics (i7-1165G7) GPU clock speed encoding/decoding

MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I have a Dell 7506 with Iris Xe Graphics. In games and all 3d applications the GPU runs with 1.3 Ghz but when I do encoding or decoding stuff from videos the GPU runs with only 1.1 Ghz. Is this intended and why is this? It doesn't matter if it's an AV1, H264 or H265 video, all decoding/encoding related work only 1.1 Ghz.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

3. Can you provide screenshots of the Task Manager? Please include a screenshot of the Performance and Processes tabs, and provide a pair of them while gaming and another pair while doing video encoding or decoding. 

4. Additionally, how do you measure this speed downgrade? Can you provide a screenshot of that as well?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

As I said it's an I7-1165G7, this: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208662/intel-core-i7-1165g7-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html?_ga=2.27466815.2085060045.1608167058-652207571.1606471069

Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency: 1300 Mhz

Of course in 3d workloads it runs with 1300 Mhz but not for encoding/decoding of videos, the maximum is 1100 Mhz for such workloads, I'm using GPUz by the way. The question is if this is intended or a bug. I have looked into the datasheet but didn't found anything concrete about encoding/decoding GPU clock speed.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I would like to clarify that encoding and decoding workload may be different depending on the app's optimization, certain portions of the hardware pipeline may be assigned to encoding while others may be assigned to the CPU itself. 

So we can determine if this is the problem, we would appreciate if you can provide the following: 

• Provide a screenshots of the task manager's Performance and Processes tabs. Provide different screenshots while gaming or using other 3D apps, and other screenshots while doing encoding/decoding. This is to compare the utilization.  
  • Also, check CPU temperatures while encoding against doing the other tasks, if possible; please provide a screenshot. 
  • Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Intel processor diagnostic tool does not support this CPU, it fails. So I cannot run the test.

8K60 AV1 decoding:

3D load:

Constant 1300 Mhz in 3d applications. In encoding/decoding workloads it runs at 1100 Mhz with a few spikes to 1300 Mhz at best. And this 8k60 AV1 is on the limit, if it would run at 1300 Mhz instead of 1100 Mhz it would help, these few drop might disappear.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,   

Thanks for the response. 

I can see in the screenshots you provided that the CPU utilization increases when doing decoding, as we mentioned; this workload may be different depending on the app's optimization, certain portions of the hardware pipeline may be assigned to encoding while others may be assigned to the CPU itself, requiring less GPU usage.  

I can see that you are using a web browser for this, please try the following and let us know about the outcome: 

• Make sure the browser is up to date. 
  • You should also try different browsers to see if the outcome is the same.  
  • What happens if you try with local applications for encoding/decoding, does the issue persist? 
  • Also, can you please specify when is the Processor Diagnostic failing? Please provide a screenshot of this as well.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

CPU utilization is very low and shouldn't afffect the GPU clock speed. Otherwise it would mean the full GPU Turbo is working only with a high CPU utilization which is not the case. Decoding/encoding using the GPU is basically limited to 1100 Mhz while for 3D stuff it runs with 1300 Mhz. Different browser or local playback does not make a difference and you can be sure I've tried a lot. If this is an intended behavior it is flawed in my opinion. Also it should be documented in the datasheet because there is nothing about a decoding/3D clock speed difference. Decoding an 8K AV1 video is heavy, a 1300 Mhz clock speed would have helped there.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,    

Thank you for your reply. 

Please be aware that the clock speed of the GPU may vary depending on the workload and app optimization, you may not reach 1300 MHz with every process and workload. 

We will check this behavior internally; in the meantime, please install the latest Intel driver as I can see that you are using a BETA version: 

1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30079/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers  

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel Programs and Features

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
  2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
  3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
  4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded in step 1. 

8. Restart the computer. 

9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Once we have an update, we will post it on this thread.

Regards,    

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,   

Thank you for waiting. 

We are trying to replicate this behavior but we would like to receive the exact same results as you. 

Can you please provide a link for a video that you use and also a detailed step by step procedure to replicate this problem?  

Also, did you receive a different result using the latest stable DCH driver?  

Regards,     

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,  

Thank you for patiently waiting for a response. 

We tested this behavior internally by running encoding jobs on Handbrake and we can see the max speed changes from 1.1 to 1.3 as expected. You can check the video attached. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Ok thanks for the test, I watched it. There are two 1300 Mhz spikes at the end and another 1250 Mhz spike. Yes only two 1300 Mhz spikes. Generally speaking it clocks with 1100 Mhz with some random 1200-1300 Mhz peaks in your test. In 3d applications it runs with 1350 Mhz consistently. A heavy 8k AV1 video with hardware decoding is enough for testing this because both encode and decode is affected. From you answer it sounds like the lower encoding/decoding clock speed versus 3D is expected. If this is the case all is fine.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,  

Were you able to check the previous post and the video with the outcome? Please let me know if we missed something in the issue replication, if you need more assistance also feel free to contact us back.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,   

Transcoding speed indeed can be lower depending on several facts, as you could see from the video, the clock speed may vary depending on the workload, that is why the speed will spike on some cases when needed. So we do believe this behavior to be expected. 

Any additional questions, please let me know.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,    

Were you able to check our previous post? Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello MSchm21,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos