Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Issue with Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers Version: 27.20.100.8935

SKYWALKERCASSINI

I upgraded from Version: 27.20.100.8783 which was a stable version to the new versionand now I observed multiple issues.

1. The refresh rate or the frame rate for some of the Netflix movies are stuttered or breaks.  It doesn't happen in all the cases.
  2. Half black screen appears on some browsers and Spotify App

These issues were happening in earlier version and vanished in Version: 27.20.100.8783.

Some details of my System:

I have a LENOVO ThinkPad with Windows 10 Pro latest version.

1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SKYWALKERCASSINI

Thank you very much for your response and for all the information provided.

It’s worth mentioning that Intel® provides generic versions of software and drivers. When talking about laptops, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.  

For this reason, we recommend the installation of the drivers provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. 

According to the Lenovo™ website, the recommended graphics driver version for this device is 27.20.100.8476:

Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1709 or Later) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Type 20KH, 20KG):

Please note that there are even additional drivers for display and Video: ThinkPad Monitor INF File for Windows 10 (64-bit) and Lenovo Display Optimizer for Windows 10 (64-bit).

Having said that, we will test this internally using the driver version 27.20.100.8935. However, in the meantime, we recommend testing with the Lenovo* driver to see if the behavior is different. You can download the driver using the previous link. You may also check with them if they recommend installing the additional Monitor/Display drivers.

To install the Lenovo™ driver, please perform a clean installation following the steps in the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

(For point # 4, instead of downloading the driver from the Intel® Download Center, download the driver from the Lenovo™ website).

Feel free to post back with the result of the test. As well, as soon as we have more information from our end, we will be posting back in this thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @SKYWALKERCASSINI

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- Are you using Netflix* on the browser or are you using the Netflix* app for Windows*? Please provide details

2- Please elaborate more regarding the "Half black screen" issue. Is this happening on a specific browser or with specific websites? Have you tested different browsers?

3- Please provide step-by-step instructions to try to replicate this and if possible, please share a video showing the two behaviors ("Netflix stuttering" and "Half black screen").

4- Is this happening on the built-in display only, on an external display, or both?

5- Is this happening when the laptop is plugged in, when running on battery, or both?

6- If you try a rollback to driver 27.20.100.8783, does the behavior go away?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SKYWALKERCASSINI

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your response.  Please find my response and the Scanned Congifuration file from SSU.

1- Are you using Netflix* on the browser or are you using the Netflix* app for Windows*? Please provide details

<Shashi: I am using Netflix App>

2- Please elaborate more regarding the "Half black screen" issue. Is this happening on a specific browser or with specific websites? Have you tested different browsers?

<Shashi: This happens sometimes; on Google Chrome, Spotify App.  I haven't observed in other browsers.  I do use Mozilla Firefox and Edge>

3- Please provide step-by-step instructions to try to replicate this and if possible, please share a video showing the two behaviors ("Netflix stuttering" and "Half black screen").

<Shashi: An example, when I open the Netflix App, the behavior is observed in some of the videos and not in all.  For example, when running 'The Liberator' or 'Trial 4'>

4- Is this happening on the built-in display only, on an external display, or both?

<Shashi: Built-in Display>

5- Is this happening when the laptop is plugged in, when running on battery, or both?

<Shashi: Both>

6- If you try a rollback to driver 27.20.100.8783, does the behavior go away?

<Shashi: Yes.  In the older versions, the half-black screen was appearing once in a while.  But, with ver 8783 it vanished.  However, when I installed the latest version, it reappeared along with the video stuttering for some of the NetFlix videos.  It doesn't occur in YouTube videos>

0 Kudos
EmJay
Beginner

I'm also having issues, which I think are related to the refresh rate, with this driver version. The screen on my laptop (Lenovo Yoga C740) has started "blacking out" a few times whenever I plug in or remove the power cord.

I had this problem before a while back. I think it was due to the refresh rate being set to different values when plugged in vs. when on battery, and the flickering was due to the system adjusting the refresh rate. I was able to resolve the issue by adjusting the rate to the same setting for both power sources, but that fix isn't working with this version.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SKYWALKERCASSINI

Thank you very much for your response and for all the information provided.

It’s worth mentioning that Intel® provides generic versions of software and drivers. When talking about laptops, the computer manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.  

For this reason, we recommend the installation of the drivers provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. 

According to the Lenovo™ website, the recommended graphics driver version for this device is 27.20.100.8476:

Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1709 or Later) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Type 20KH, 20KG):

Please note that there are even additional drivers for display and Video: ThinkPad Monitor INF File for Windows 10 (64-bit) and Lenovo Display Optimizer for Windows 10 (64-bit).

Having said that, we will test this internally using the driver version 27.20.100.8935. However, in the meantime, we recommend testing with the Lenovo* driver to see if the behavior is different. You can download the driver using the previous link. You may also check with them if they recommend installing the additional Monitor/Display drivers.

To install the Lenovo™ driver, please perform a clean installation following the steps in the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

(For point # 4, instead of downloading the driver from the Intel® Download Center, download the driver from the Lenovo™ website).

Feel free to post back with the result of the test. As well, as soon as we have more information from our end, we will be posting back in this thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

SKYWALKERCASSINI

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the advice.  Even though ver 8783 works for me, I reinstalled the OEM suggested version 8476 and so far I don't see any issues.  I would however like to upgrade to the latest vers of the Intel drivers and will be awaiting your notification.

BR/Shashi

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SKYWALKERCASSINI

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that the behavior is not present with the OEM driver.

We would like to inform you that we were unable to reproduce the issue in our lab after multiple tests.

Some Lab details:

• We tested this using the latest driver 27.20.100.8935. We played one of the videos/series mentioned (The Liberator*) using the Netflix* app in Windows® and we did not get any stuttering or half-black screen issue.
  • We played the other video (Trial 4*) using Netflix* on Chrome* browser in Windows® and we did not get any stuttering or half-black screen issue.
  • We tested the Spotify* app in Windows and did not get any stuttering or half-black screen issues.
  • We used Google™ Chrome™ browser, navigate through different websites many times, played YouTube videos, and did not get any stuttering or half-black screen issue.

Hardware and software used for the lab:

• Intel® NUC Mini PC NUC7i5DNKPC
  • Windows® 10 Pro Build 19042
  • Intel® Core™ i5-7300U Processor
  • HD Graphics 620, drivers 27.20.100.8681 (OEM) and 27.20.100.8935 (latest generic)

Having said that, we believe the issue may be only on your computer setup. Please try testing with some local video playback to rule out bandwidth or network interference issues, latency, etc. Other than that the only suggestion we can think of would be to test with a clean operating system (OS) installation to rule out conflicts with other third-party software.

We will leave the thread open for other users to participate if they have the same issue.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @EmJay

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for your feedback.

It seems that you are reporting another issue since you mentioned the behavior is triggered when plugging in or removing the power cord.

Everyone's situation and environment are unique so if you need further assistance, we kindly recommend creating a new thread to isolate your case and system configuration. Please make sure you add the information about the system model and specs, and detailed information about the problem that you are having, so we can better assist you.

Thank you for your understanding; hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
EmJay
Beginner

@AndrewG_Intel,

Thanks for replying. I wasn't sure if both of our issues were glitches(?) caused by the driver update, but I have resolved my issue since my previous post.  At some point after I updated to this driver version, the "Don't allow HDR games and apps on battery" setting was enabled, so I think the black screen was due to the display switching between HDR on A/C power and SDR on battery.

0 Kudos
SKYWALKERCASSINI

I did a clean install of the latest version once again after the original solution by Andrew.  The issues I had didn't occur.  However, I did notice fluttering in Adobe Reader.  I am really not sure now if this is related to my system hardware or any other setting.  Your reasoning seems to be close and I will once again check with the options.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @EmJay

We are glad to know that your issue has been solved. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Hopefully, it may help other community peers experiencing similar issues.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @SKYWALKERCASSINI

Thank you for your response. We understand that the initial issues have not occurred after you tried a new clean install of the driver but you have experienced another issue with Adobe* Reader.

If you are still experiencing (new) issues, we recommend contacting your OEM for proper assistance with additional debugging and steps from their side, including a clean OS installation. Perhaps you may try some of the suggestions (if applicable/available) provided by EmJay before trying the clean OS installation.

We would like to mention that we performed an additional test regarding the last issue you mentioned with Adobe* Reader. Using the same test system (Intel® NUC Mini PC NUC7i5DNKPC with driver 27.20.100.8935) we downloaded and installed Adobe Reader. After several tests, opening different files, and using different options of the software we did not get any usability-visual-graphics issue.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. We will leave the thread open for other users to participate so interactions with other community peers may continue. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos