Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Latency in USB device when using the Intel 530 video driver on Windows 10

Costello__Dan
Beginner

I started with a service case with Dell and then Microsoft for this problem with the Intel HD Graphics 530 video driver. The Video driver seems to be interfering with and causing latency on the USB bus. After much analysis and testing, Microsoft has referred this problem to this Intel Support page. 

In brief, it appears that the Intel video device driver is interfering with the USB bus. This USB latency problem was reproduced on a computer with 6th generation Intel that have a USB 3.1 with Type-C connector. When I replace the Intel driver with the default Microsoft Windows 10 video device driver, the USB problem is resolved. Microsoft believes this is due to the fact that Windows 10 gives the Intel video driver a higher priority.

The System with problem:
Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 530
Driver version: 23.20.16.4944
System: Dell OptiPlex 7050 (service tag 2L18CM2) with Bios v 1.7.6, 11/29/2017
CPU SKU: Intel i5
GPU SKU: 6500 and Q270 Chipset
USB: USB 3.1 Gen 1 eXtensible host controller with Type-C connector
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 x64, Version 10.0.16299 (build 1709).
Monitor: One Dell 1907FPC at 1280x1024 connected to the DisplayPort.

The System that does not have this problem:
Graphics: Integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics
Driver version: 10.18.10.4425
System: Dell OptiPlex 7010 (service tag FTWPRW1) with Bios v A28, 2/22/2018
CPU SKU: Intel i5
GPU SKU: 3570 and Q77 Express Chipset
USB: USB 3.1 Gen 1 eXtensible host controller without Type-C connector
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 x64, Version 10.0.16299 (build 1709). 
Monitor: One Dell 1907FPC at 1280x1024 connected to the DisplayPort.

The USB 2.0 camera with the problem requires a high speed-high bandwidth (low latency) USB 2.0 bulk endpoint to transfer images. The device requires that the USB bulk endpoints have low latency per the USB 2.0 specification. The camera device requires 5 bulk transactions per USB microframe (1 USB 2.0 microframe every 125 micro seconds) for the image transfer to work properly. Because the internal buffer in the USB 2.0 camera is small, any added delay in the transferring of bulk data will cause the internal USB device’s buffer to overflow and the data is lost. At first, it was thought that this was a USB problem and that a new Windows 10 USB host controller driver was no longer able to keep up with the low latency requirements. However, the problem is resolved when the default Microsoft video driver is used. 

Does the Intel HD Graphics 530 video device driver ever interface with the USB 3.1 Gen1 host controller?  

Does this Intel HD Graphics 530video driver support a video display via the USB Type-C connector? 

Is there anything in the Intel video device driver that would interfere with the USB host controller? 

Are there any configuration settings for the Intel video driver so that it will not interfere or interface with the USB chipset? 

Is there a way to lower the priority of the video device driver to not interfere with the USB host controller driver?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JLiu87
Beginner

I am having similar issues with Intel integrated graphics but with USB audio interfaces and 7th/8th generation Intel Core i7 CPUs. See https://communities.intel.com/message/528008.

0 Kudos