Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Lower FPS after Updating Graphics Driver

Ian_02
Novice

Hello, I have a Intel Celeron N3450 with an Intel HD Graphics 500, and I updated it's DCH drivers to the latest one(30.0.101.1069), but I have issues experiencing with FPS in some games like "Roblox" and "Osu!". In the previous version(30.0.100.9955) of the Graphics Driver that was installed on my PC, I was getting around 60-120 fps on "Osu!" and 30-40 fps on "Roblox". But after installing the latest one, I was now only getting 40-60 fps on "Osu!" and on "Roblox" it was now only 0-1fps, and the game is not even playable. I have now tried reinstalling the driver but the issue still persist. Any ideas or help on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Update: Poor performance as well on Microsoft Edge with Hardware Acceleration on, like literally when i open the browser, everything starts lagging so quickly. Issue is not happening on the previous version.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Ian_02,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Is this a desktop or a laptop?
  2. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?
  3. Have you reported this issue to the OEM?
  4. Have you gotten any BSOD or error messages?
  5. Picture of the task manager, under the performance tab and the processes tab. 

Also, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ian_02
Novice

Hi Josue, the device is a Laptop, and it's a Lenovo Ideapad 320-14IAP. I switched to DCH Drivers last year, because the drivers that are provided by Lenovo is too old, It's from 2018, and some games and apps won't support old drivers. This is the first time I have experienced a issue while using the DCH Drivers. And I did not report it to Lenovo since the drivers were created by Intel and not Lenovo. So far with the DCH Drivers, I did not experienced any errors or BSOD. 

Also, here's the files that you were requesting. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Ian_02,

Thank you for the information provided, it is important for you to know that the drivers we provide are the generic version of the driver, without any customization, however, the drivers that Lenovo provides are a customized and optimized version created to work specifically with your system. In case the driver on their website is too old, we recommend contacting them and asking if they have a more recent version of the driver. 

Regarding troubleshooting, we recommend performing a clean install of the latest graphics drivers provided by the system manufacturer since these drivers are customized. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Graphics Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites and save the installer on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in Device Manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter', or similar. If not, repeat step 3. Repeat the process until it is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

7- Install the latest graphics driver provided by the system manufacturer.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, repeat the Clean installation process using the latest Intel® generic graphics driver available at Download Center.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Ian_02
Novice

Hi, I tried the following steps that you provided me so this is the results.

Doing a clean install of the OEM Drivers improved the FPS  little bit on Roblox, but it's still unplayable ,  meanwhile on "Osu!", I'm  getting 40-50 fps. But Hardware Acceleration is now working properly again on Microsoft Edge.

On the clean install of the DCH Drivers(30.0.101.1069), the issue still persist, with Hardware Acceleration on Microsoft Edge being unusable. And I also checked Windows Update, and I'm updated so far and running the recent version of Windows 10, which is 21H1.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The most recent version of windows 10 is 21H2.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Ian_02
Novice

Well I'm sure that my device is up to date, I check for updates, and the update for 21H2 is not showing up on it. I think Microsoft will speed up the rollout of the feature updates over the next few days or weeks.

0 Kudos
Ian_02
Novice

Update: I contacted Lenovo and they said that there are no new drivers for my device. How can I fix this issue?

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Ian_02,

Thank you for the information provided, we will perform a lab to try to replicate the issues. We will post back soon with further details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Ian_02
Novice
0 Kudos
Ian_02
Novice

Another Update: It seems the problem is fixed now.

So I tried playing "Roblox" again and it updated, and after that appearantly it's now playable, getting 30-40 fps on it, and on "Osu!" I'm getting better performance as well. And on Microsoft Edge, using Hardware Acceleration is now smooth. Even watching a 4K video on YouTube is smooth as well. No lag really.

I don't know how the problem fixed itself, I just checked it today and it seems to be working fine. I think I notice that when the problem existed some of the games are not using the GPU that much, especially on Microsoft Edge the browser GPU usage is like 1% only, but now it's now 5-10% and on watching videos its 20-30% and it's smooth. So I think the issue is really resolved now.

Thanks to everyone who keep giving suggestions to fix the problem. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Ian_02,

Thank you for the information provided, I am glad to hear that the issue is now solved and you are able to use those apps without issues. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.