Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Martha Is Dead DX12 RT and XeSS worked initially, but now it doesn't, crashes -message inside-.

laxesta
New Contributor II

MarthaIsDeadDX12RTError.jpg

I reinstalled the A770 16GB drivers (the latest ones) with a clean installation and also reinstalled the game, but to no avail. The DX11 version is okay, but the lack of XeSS and the performance, which is some kind of stutter fest, makes me prefer DX12 -as usual, whether a game runs fine or not, I prefer DX12 over DX11-.

Oddly enough, the game ran well before in DX 12 mode with XeSS enabled and so on. It had some graphics issues, like some kind of black magenta crush, which made the game almost unplayable in some areas, but the performance was better than in DX11 and XeSS does a good job in this game. Not at the almost perfection level of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but okay.

The "black magenta" crush when the game worked in DX12 mode. I took these pictures days ago.

laxesta_0-1670108851903.jpeg

laxesta_0-1670108958156.jpeg

laxesta_1-1670109033847.jpeg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
laxesta
New Contributor II

Supreme Commander 2. The game starts running perfectly fine, but I was testing it and decided to stop the game using Ctrl + Alt + Del and the graphics get totally corrupted once you are out of the game. Once you try to return from the OS to the game, you can only see certain icons, but the content of the main screen is totally gone, you can't see a thing.

AAx8, set to High overall settings, Vsync Off (Vsync is set to On with Intel Arc Control, so I force all games not to go over the native framerate of my monitor, 165Hz),

Supreme Commander 2 28_12_2022 00_08_17.png

Since the menu works, you can press Escape and leave the current game and go to the main screen, the game looks as expected then. If you start a new game from there, or load a game, whatever, the game continues showing that issue, it has become a black canvas.

Supreme Commander the original runs fine. It doens't like Vsync off though. If I set Vsync to Off I can't go over 1440p 100Hz -the max framerate of the game no matter what-. If I choose 1440p 120Hz or 1440p 165Hz and Vsync is off ingame, the screen goes completely black, but if Vsync is set to On, any setting you choose works fine.

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Syberia 1 won't launch (Syberia 2 works okay) and always shows this message.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 003608.png

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you for the reply.

Since we are seeing a difference in the performance when using the insider and non-insider version of windows to run the games please confirm the following:

Did you run the following games on a non-insider version of Windows 11:

• CoD Modern Warfare 2, 
  • The Witcher 3 Next Gen, 
  • The Riftbreaker, 
  • Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition, 
  • Age of Empire II Definitive Edition,
  • Totally Reliable Delivery Service
  • Doom Eternal
  • Syberia 1
  • Supreme Commander 2

In case you haven't please try to install the on the disk that has a non-insider version of Windows and also please try to run the games using the latest version of the Intel Arc driver BETA.

Remember that to complete the installation we recommend following the guide that can be found in the following website:

Once you have completed these steps and gathered the information please share it with us.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Hello @Robert_Q_Intel . Happy holidays.

Did some testing with the regular version of Windows 11 in my SSD partition using the latest drivers -which I already had installed before, when they were launched-.

Games whose issues get fixed by just using a regular -non insider- version of Windows 11.

• Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition
  • Totally Reliable Delivery Service

Games whose issues might not be related to Intel A770 drivers.

Games that can't be tested under the same conditions but seem fixed

• The Witcher 3 Next Gen* (the game's spiderwebs don't look magenta anymore, however, the version I am playing has RT disabled for Intel GPUs 'cos CD Projekt are fixing some issues with performance on Intel drivers, I also asked them for XeSS support in their forums. I put the game on hold for now until RT works again with Intel GPUs because I completed The Witcher 3 several times already and now I just want to play using the RT version). 

Games having the same issues regardless of Windows 11 OS being an insider or a regular version

• The Riftbreaker (when I set every RT option to on, Ultra settings and all, the issue persisted after the the first installation, which surprised me. However, with my W11 insider version, RT initially worked for me, although it showed some graphics glitches, it was clear it was working, it wasn't until I turned it off to avoid any graphics glitches, and tried to turn it on again, when the issue showed for me in Windows 11 insider)
  • Age of Empire II Definitive Edition
  • Supreme Commander 2
  • CoD Modern Warfare 2

CoD Modern Warfare 2 behaves in a weird manner. It could be the GPU drivers, but the game menus don't seem to get updated in real time, so maybe it's an Activision's issue.

The settings are native 1440p (I use XeSS but the issue happened when I set the game to native resolution, 100% rendering in the Quality tab, which I set for comparison reasons, but I don't like how native resolution looks compared to XeSS, which looks much better from my experience in all the games I tried with XeSS vs native) without pixel reconstruction techniques.

Picture 1)

This happens at times when setting the screen to Fullscreen Exclusive and my monitor's display goes totally black, can't detect a Displayport input signal when ingame. If you use Ctrl + Alt + Del then you can see that the game is working in the background, as seen in the image, but if you return the focus to the game, then again, no Displayport signal, the screen goes totally black. But this doesn't always happen! Thing is..., sometimes you can see the screen, and the setting says Fullscreen Exclusive, but IF you restart the game you will see that the game has Fullscreen Borderless as the setting and Fullscreen Exclusive wasn't actually selected when you left the game. That's why I say it might be an issue with Activision and not the drivers. Also of note is that the first time I launched the game, upon installation in the non insider Windows 11 partition, the setting was Fullscreen Exclusive by default, but that's not right.... because upon restarting, the game says "Fullscreen Borderless".

This happens at times when setting the screen to Fullscreen Exclusive and my monitor's display goes totally black, can't detect a Displayport input signal when ingame. If you use Ctrl + Alt + Del then you can see that the game is working in the background, as seen in the image, but if you return the focus to the game, then again, no Displayport signal, the screen goes totally black. But this doesn't always happen! Thing is..., sometimes you can see the screen, and the setting says Fullscreen Exclusive, but IF you restart the game you will see that the game has Fullscreen Borderless as the setting and Fullscreen Exclusive wasn't actually selected when you left the game. That's why I say it might be an issue with Activision and not the drivers. Also of note is that the first time I launched the game, upon installation in the non insider Windows 11 partition, the setting was Fullscreen Exclusive by default, but that's not right.... Once you restart the game, it says Fullscreen BorderlessThis happens at times when setting the screen to Fullscreen Exclusive and my monitor's display goes totally black, can't detect a Displayport input signal when ingame. If you use Ctrl + Alt + Del then you can see that the game is working in the background, as seen in the image, but if you return the focus to the game, then again, no Displayport signal, the screen goes totally black. But this doesn't always happen! Thing is..., sometimes you can see the screen, and the setting says Fullscreen Exclusive, but IF you restart the game you will see that the game has Fullscreen Borderless as the setting and Fullscreen Exclusive wasn't actually selected when you left the game. That's why I say it might be an issue with Activision and not the drivers. Also of note is that the first time I launched the game, upon installation in the non insider Windows 11 partition, the setting was Fullscreen Exclusive by default, but that's not right.... Once you restart the game, it says Fullscreen Borderless

Picture 2) This is when I though it was magically fixed. It says Fullscreen Exclusive and the game is rendering fine, but it works because it's actually Fullscreen Borderless, which can be seen once you restart the game. So the game isn't updating the actual state of the display in real time.

cod_mw2_fse2.jpg

Picture 3) Took the picture to show what I found when I restarted the game thinking that it would fail because it was set to Fullscreen Exclusive just like the game's settings said when I left the game, but to my surprise everything was running fine upon relaunching the game, AND it was not actually set to Fullscreen Exclusive as I thought I would find when returning to the settings menu, but Fullscreen Borderless, which is wrong 'cos I had left the game with the option clearly saying Fullscreen Exclusive.

cod_mw2_fse3.jpg

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you for posting all of this valuable information, we will be working internally on the issues.

In the meantime there is a new version for the Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - WHQL - Windows* version number is 31.0.101.4032.

Please install this version 31.0.101.4032 in a non-insider version of windows and test the games that still show issues.

To help you download the driver you can use the following website:

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - WHQL - Windows*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-whql-windows.html

To find a helpful guide on how to perform a clean install of the driver you can use the following link:

Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Once you have completed these steps please share the outcome with us.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Hello Robert.

I tested the games that failed with the new version of the drivers.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare II: fixed.

Age of Empires Definitive Edition (PC Gamepass): Same issue, no changes at all.

The Witcher 3: haven't played it. RT is disabled on Intel ARC GPUs for now afaik, and the issue seems to appear when RT is on, 'cos the lighting -which is amazing- changes. It has to do with the gamma but yes, spiderwebs look fine if you set the correct gamma but then they turn magenta at times depending on the angle of the camera and stuff.

Supreme Commander 2: the issue persists.

The Riftbreaker: the issue persists, BUT if you set the resolution to 1280x720 then it works! I tried 3840x2160, 2560x1440, 1920x1080 and 1600x900 and the game showed that typical error. However, at native 720p everything runs fine and dandy with RT on.

These are my settings:

Screenshot_20230104_132223.png

This is the game running with the above settings but at 720p instead of 4K: 

RB.jpg

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (PC Gamepass): the issue persists, with a little change. With previous drivers, when the PC Gamepass pop up window appeared, you could see the content of the window when the game was running. As of currently, you can't.

That transparent thing is now the gamepass pop up window which welcomes you and asks you to click on the Let's Go button. As you can see, you can't discern where the Let's Go button is.

BSROTN.jpg

Even if you click all over the place in the pop up window to see if, by chance, you can click on the Let's go button to run the game, the popup window is just totally unresponsive, the only thing that works is the x to close the window, but if you do so, you can't advance to the main menu of the game.

The only fix I found for the pop up window to display as it did previously was to click on the game icon in the taskbar to go to the game and press Alt + F4 to close it. Once you close the game, then the gamepass pop up window appears correctly. Weird. And yes, the game is closed, which defeats the purpose.

As of now, the only full fix I found is running the game with DXVK 2.0.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you for the details and all the information, we will continue to work on this internally.

We will get back to you as soon as we have more information.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you very much for your waiting time we really appreciate it.

Thanks to your feedback and the information we were able to recreate the issue for the game Martha is dead.

The bug ID for the issue with stuttering and also flickering textures on DX12,

Bug ID 16019262076 (flickering textures and stuttering) and 16018815891 (game crashing) so we would need to wait for a fix to be included in future driver releases.

Since we are currently working on this issue we are unable to commit to any specific deadline, date or update.

We are still performing research on the other games listed to include issues.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello @laxesta,

From our last interactions we shared details about bugfixes reported to be in the works for the game Martha is dead, in order to continue we would like to encourage you to submit a new thread for the issues you encounter in the latest games that were added to this thread in order to dedicate a thread specifically for each one of them, games in this list include:

Doom eternal

Syberia 1

The Riftbreaker

Supreme Commander 2

Age of Empire II Definitive Edition

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night

Even though we have already reported these issues on this thread opening a new thread to report them will help us document and track these issues, however, since the nature of these issues requires internal review and effort to determine and implement fixes we cannot commit to any specific deadline for the fixes to be implemented

Since we have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

hello @Robert_Q_Intel 

Syberia 1 issue seems to be an universal thing but okay I migth create a thread for each of those issues.

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello @laxesta,

Thank you for your reply we appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos