Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Multi-Display Resolution

Seyifulfilled
Beginner

I have an HP ZBook Firefly 15 G7 Mobile Workstation and, I need it connected to my three existing Dell 24inch displays with the same resolution of 1920 by 1200. Presently, only two of three display at 1920 by 1200. The third does 1920 by 1080 which is unacceptable.

The guilty traitor is the second one from left in the screen capture as can be seen from the Display options menu.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Seyifulfilled

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

When did the issue start?

Are you using any type of adapter? Or are the monitor connected using a straight cable?

Have you tried using other cables?

If you configure the monitors differently, setting them in different line up, the issue is present on the same monitor?

What is the model of the monitors?

Create a report using the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Seyifulfilled
Beginner

Hi Jean,

My apologies for just getting back to you on the issue.

The situation is that I have an HP ZBook Firefly 15 G7 Mobile Workstation with two Thunderbolt ports and one HDMI. I am using one HDMI to connect to one of my three Dell U2410 monitors. And then, using an HDMI to USB adapter, I have a second one connected. The third is connected via an HDMI to USB-C adapter for one of the two USB-C Thunderbolt ports.

The challenge is that Intel graphics Command Center doesn't see the third monitor but, using some software that came with the adapters, I am able to use the three monitors. However, only two display at 1920 by 1200. The third one displays at 1920 by 1080 which has some kind of skewed display proportion because of the aspect ration of the monitors being 19:16 and not 4:3.

What bothers me is, now that i have a PC with two thunderbolt ports and, one HDMI port, I expect that I should be able to connect to three monitors natively without the need for some third-party software since the monitors have two DVI ports, one HDMI and DisplayPort.

I've downloaded the SSU and I shall endeavour to try to follow your guide to get a report.

Thanks. I do really appreciate the assistance. It is annoying to spend so much to get better tools to work with and not have the primary utility for which one did.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Seyifulfilled,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Seyifulfilled
Beginner

Hi Jean,

That's the report from the SSU scan. I hope I did the right thing.

Thanks.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Seyifulfilled, 

Thank you for the information provided.

The usage of adapters may cause communication issues between the graphics driver and the monitors. A best practice is to use straight connections, meaning HDMI to HDMI USB-C to USB-C. My recommendation is to connect the laptop and monitors with a straight connection. It will help us confirm the problem being caused by the adapters.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Seyifulfilled

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Seyifulfilled
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thank you so much. The best that I can do with the monitors that I have is to connect with a USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable since the monitors do not have USB-C ports. It then means that I must plan and work towards getting those that do as soon as possible.

I shall give the USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable as seen on here https://www.tripplite.com/usb-c-to-displayport-adapter-cable-male-to-male-3-1-gen-1-locking-connector-4k-60hz-4-4-4-black-6ft~u444006dpbe, a try in the meantime just in case that improves things. at least, it'd certainly clean up my cable situation regarding the use of adapters.

Thank you very much for your assistance. It is deeply appreciated indeed.

Bless you and yours always.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Seyifulfilled,

I appreciate your comments.

Just letting you know that this may not solve the issue, as it is not a straight connection. I understand that you are doing this as per a hardware limitation.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do regarding your issue.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If I go by the SSU report, it would seem that the USB-to-HDMI graphics adapter is responsible for the 1920x1080 limitation. It may be that this is a physical limitation of this adapter and nothing that you do is going to fix this.

The Intel Graphics (iGFX) engine integrated into your processor supports three DisplayPort output channels and can have a total of three monitors connected. Now, one of these DisplayPort channels is dedicated to your laptop's built-in display. This means that only two DisplayPort channels are available externally. It is unclear how this laptop is supporting the HDMI port and two Thunderbolt ports. In the SSU report, I am not seeing any signs of a Discrete Graphics engine (dGFX) - from AMD or NVIDIA - being present, so no alternate source for DisplayPort channels or support for additional monitors. Bottom line, unless you are closing the laptop's lid and not using the built-in display, you can only support two external monitors with the iGFX engine. This is what predicated the need for the USB-to-HDMI graphics adapter.

From all this, I conclude that your only possibility is obtaining a better quality/capable USB-to-HDMI graphics adapter that can support 1920x1200 (i.e. better than 1080p). Most are limited to 1080p, so these are more difficult to find. I found only a couple that would seem to support this: (US$57) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPEV1XK and (US$60) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H91BQ7Y.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Seyifulfilled,

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos