Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20672 Discussions

New HD 530 driver made the "stopped responding"-bug rare, but introduced rectangular glitches.

TRant2
Beginner

Sorry for the messy table, looks OK while editing, but the borders disappear after posting for some reason.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

See the attached screen shots. Rectangular glitches appear on screen randomly. Most often when switching/alt-tabbing to a new window. Also sometimes when filling text fields or right clicking to pop up the menu in some applications. The glitches disappear when painting over them with the mouse or reloading the page.

The problem started after installing HD Graphics 530 driver 20.19.15.4380. Using earlier drivers, every driver/BIOS combination had the infamous "dark screen, freeze, stopped responding/recovered" -bug, which I was unable to fix. With .4380 the "stopped responding" -bug appears only rarely, but it introduced these glitches. Asus graphics drivers seem to be just older versions of the generic drivers.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Only sometimes, randomly, but over a hundred times per day? I feel like they go in waves, so for a while I get it constantly, then for some time very rarely. They appear more often when switching to/from a webpage in Firefox or application to another, and very rarely when staying in one application or playing a game.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Built from parts. Asus H110I-PLUS, Intel Core i3-6100.

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only iGPU.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Samsung 24E390HL EFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 Gb

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the ...

0 Kudos
39 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Thank you for your update.

In regards the motherboard drivers, make sure you are using the latest drivers provided with Asus support website https://www.asus.com/support https://www.asus.com/support

Let me know if your are getting the graphics issues when you have many tabs opened or you are getting the same issue with just 1 tab opened in your browser.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Yes, I'm using the latest drivers from Asus (except when Asus helpdesk have told me that newer drivers are ok).

I don't use tabs in general, but open new windows when needed. I've seen issues come up when two or more windows are open.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

The issue is happening with Firefox. Do you have the same issue with Chrome and Explorer?

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

All right! Progress, finally.

Googled Firefox glitches, and some people had very similar looking artifacts. It is caused by graphics driver incompatibilities and seems to be a problem with Chrome and programs using Flash as well as Firefox. A temporary fix for many is to disable graphics acceleration (Chrome, Firefox, Flash). This hurts graphics performance, but seems to often help with getting rid of the artifacts.

I did this in Firefox, and initial tests look promising. No artifacts yet. I will update if they reappear.

The graphics driver is still not working properly, not being able to use graphics acceleration, but at least this seems to be a solution for the glitches for now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Intel is reviewing the issues with Mozilla Firefox, but the troubleshooting available is only disabling acceleration.

There is a document related to gaming performance. It might help you.

http://www.howtogeek.com/245592/how-to-improve-gaming-performance-with-intel-hd-graphics-chips/ http://www.howtogeek.com/245592/how-to-improve-gaming-performance-with-intel-hd-graphics-chips/

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Yes, lack of hardware acceleration is only a small annoyance. Not having the constant glitches is so much better.

At the moment the only bigger issue are the crashes that still happen every now and then. With the current drivers and settings, it still happens exactly the same way as before - everything freezes, screen goes black - except the "stopped responding / recovered" error message for the driver isn't displayed anymore. Seeing the events occurring during the crash in the event viewer shows that they still originate from the display driver, including the responding/recovered event, and cascades into dwm.exe crashing. I attached an event log of the things happening during the crash to the original post: crash.evtx

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Intel is preparing a new graphics driver. Hopefully it will be available in 3 weeks. I saw your attachment but it doesn't tell us what the problem is.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Intel launched the new graphics driver. Let me know how it works in your system.

Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows 15.40.20.4404

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88345 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88345

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Already tested this three weeks ago, as you can see in the original message and the first replies.

Artifacts with hardware acceleration, no artifacts when the acceleration disabled, but performance suffers. Crashes every now and then but more seldom than with the older drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Thank you for your update.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

I am following your case. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Not much has changed since my last update. In addition to the occasional crashes, I spotted some artifacts with .4404 in Firefox even with the hardware acceleration turned off, but that seems to be very rare. I'm using the old driver for now for a change (10.18.15.4274, hardware acceleration off). With it, no artifacts, no crashes/"stopped responding"-bug in the last six days, but there are still other problems: When using Firefox and a Java application at the same time, sometimes whole sections of the Firefox window turn just white. Also, the sluggishness due to no hardware acceleration.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Thank you for your update. I will send a update as soon as Intel releases a new graphics driver.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

I installed .4424 and tested Firefox with hardware acceleration. The same blank white areas appear every now and then as with the older drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

I am going to work with my upper level this case.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

.4444 beta still behaves much the same way. Otherwise the system is stable and Firefox stays usually glitch-free even when using hardware acceleration, but when I use a java application for a while and then switch back to Firefox, blank areas appear.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Intel is interested on your case; please send me the following information.

I would need the results of Intel® System Support Utility,

type of video cables and adapters,

brand name and model of the monitor,

then please open the Intel® graphics control panel, select Display, click on General settings and take a picture of it.

Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

SSU system information attached.

Cable & adapters: Good Connections 2.0 m HDMI 1.4 cable high speed with Ethernet, gold-plated connectors. (Also already tested earlier with a VGA cable and a VGA monitor, same results. This is absolutely not cable-connected since I can get screen shots of the irregularities.) I'm only using Intel HD Graphics 530 and have no discrete graphics card.

Monitor: Samsung S24E390HL

Graphics settings: Attached are pictures of both the basic and the advanced tabs of the general settings.

The blank spaces just now appeared on Firefox when downloading SSU. Lately it has been connected with Java applications but I see it might happen just randomly as well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

I sent you a private message.

Mike C

0 Kudos