Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20765 Discussions

Notebook display blinks randomly

adtnf02
Beginner

My HP Pavilion laptop display blinks very randomly that I cannot replicate the issue. I've already tried uninstalling both Intel HD Graphics 620 from device manager, using DDU (tried both in safe mode) and NVidia graphics. Installed Intel HD graphics using Windows update, installed via Intel's official website, installed from HP's support page. I also tried flipping/moving the lid several times, shaking the laptop gently to test if it's a hardware issue, but I just cannot replicate it. I even did reset the laptop. Same problem! It's mind boggling. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tnf02,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your laptop. We will help you with your problem.

Regarding this issue, you can try using an external monitor/TV to confirm if the issue can be replicated when using another display device.

You mentioned that you uninstalled Nvidia graphics drivers. Since your system has hybrid graphics, could you try disabling the Nvidia graphics adapter and using only the Intel® HD Graphics 620?

Also, we would like to confirm if you have contacted HP support regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

Hi! Sorry, I don't have an external monitor/TV to test with. I've posted the same issue on HP support forum, nobody has  responded/commented yet. I'll try to disable Nvidia graphics and observe the device. Thank you!

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

Hi! Sorry, I don't have an external monitor/TV to test with. I've posted the same issue on HP support forum, nobody has  responded/commented yet. I'll try to disable Nvidia graphics and observe the device. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tnf02,

Thanks for your response.

We will wait for you to try the recommendations to check the outcome. In the meantime, we would like to further investigate this issue, and we would like to gather more system information and create a report using the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

• Download the Intel SSU
  • Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View."
  • Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View."
  • To save your scan: click "Next"; then "Save."

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

I've attached the requested information. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tnf02,

Thanks for the information provided.

To gain a better understanding of your issue, may we inquire if it has been present since the beginning?

Additionally, we would appreciate knowing if the issue persists after disabling the Nvidia device.

It is important to mention that based on the article: Windows 11 supported Intel processors, the i7-7500U is not listed as a supported processor, and HP doesn't recommend drivers for Windows 11. For testing, you can try to see if the issue can be replicated when using Windows 10.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

The issue started around February of this year. I've upgraded to Windows 11 on 2021 and never had the issue before. Going back to Windows 10 is a long process. I need the laptop for work. I haven't tried disabling Nvidia as there's an important app that uses it. I also recently installed Nvidia Graphics driver update.

I did an experiment, I altered Windows appearance and performance settings, selected custom, made some changes and I haven't experienced the blinking issue so far. Will have to further observe the device. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tnf02,

It's great to hear that adjusting your Windows appearance and performance settings has resolved the issue. We'll just wait a few days to ensure that the problem doesn't crop up again. If you encounter any further difficulties, please don't hesitate to inform us.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

The issue has just resurfaced. I tried disabling Nvidia Graphics and the issue persists. Currently using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Will observe the device and give an update. Thanks!

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

Problem still occurs using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I'll have the screen checked at a local computer repair shop. 

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

The issue has just resurfaced. I tried disabling Nvidia Graphics and the issue persists. Currently using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Will observe the device and give an update. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tnf02,

Thanks for the information provided.

Since the issue occurs even when using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, this discards that this is a driver issue. However, before you bring the system to a repair shop, we would recommend checking if the issue occurs in the BIOS menu. If the issue is still present when navigating through the BIOS, this may indicate that the problem is a hardware issue.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
adtnf02
Beginner

I spent literally an hour in the BIOS to observe and test the display, the blinking issue never happened. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tnf02,

We recommend you contact your system manufacturer (OEM) for further support regarding your issue. Once the issue occurs using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, this may indicate that this is a hardware issue. We understand that the problem did not occur in the BIOS; however, it is essential to add that the OEM can have a better understanding of your system and its customizations, and they can perform a hardware inspection to determine if a component is faulty.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tnf02,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos