Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Panel Self Refresh causes stutters in Win10

CFost7
Novice

Posting here to save others the time and hassle I've gone through.

After a year of troubleshooting my 13" HP Spectre x360 with integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 using registry hacks, driver updates and Windows re-installs, I think I have found a work-around for stutters, freezes and lags of the laptop with Windows 10.

Panel Self Refresh does not work and causes what appear to be performance issues, hangs, stutters and lags with Windows 10. No error messages, event logs or other reports.

Therefore:

Right-click on the desktop and open Intel Graphics Settings.

Click on Power

Then for each Plan (select them using the drop down menu) disable Panel Self Refresh.

Ensure that for both Plugged In and Battery (left hand side list) the Plan selected has Panel Self Refresh disabled.

Apply the changes to the settings.

Thanks to some MS Surface Pro 4 users who reported this on Microsoft support pages for the clue.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/panel-self-refresh-on-i7-surface-pro-4-causes/9b7538ba-72c8-49d3-82c5-7e652020c43e Panel Self Refresh on i7 Surface Pro 4 causes stuttering - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/panel-self-refresh-causes-screen-freezing-on/3f85075e-efee-4ad0-a116-118429536768 Panel Self Refresh causes Screen Freezing on Surface Pro 4 - Microsoft Community

The issue goes wider than that device.

If you're having lags or stutters then try this and maybe it will work for you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, craigfoster.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this solution for this issue in our communities, we really appreciate it!

Antony S.
0 Kudos
FLast75
Beginner

2 years later - same problem. Both on Windows and Linux on Lenovo Yoga S940. And still the same fix - to disable the PSR in both Windows and Linux (for Linux adding i915.enable_psr=0 kernel option fixed it for me)

0 Kudos