Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Question about Iris Plus G7 and HDCP 2.2 and FreeSync (to choose the right monitor).

U-Go
Beginner

Hello everybody,

since a year I have a Lenovo Yoga C940 which gives me nothing but troubles and made me hate Lenovo and their support. I just had to say this! 🙂

Included in the package is the Iris Plus G7 (because my CPU is the i7-1065G7).

Now I am needing an external monitor, for some things where one monitor (even less a 14" one) is not enough.
Browsing for some payable used ones and checking reviews etc, I encountered these two main possible reasons of incompatibility:

- AMD FreeSync: many monitors offer that. But does the G7 support it? If not, what should I look for in a monitor to have good sync and refresh rate and no flicker?

- HDCP 2.2: I watch lot of Amazon Prime stuff, I read that for some of their content to be in best resolution I need ALL of my hardware (GPU, Monitor, Cable) to support that.
Does the G7 support that?
Btw the C940 has no HDMI port, so I use a USB-C hub to get that port. Must the hub too support HDCP 2.2?

What else should I pay attention to, at the moment of choosing a 4k monitor for the G7?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello U-Go,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please take into account the following information:

AMD FreeSync

The only company that can actually validate if any of our graphics are compatible with that technology will be AMD itself; therefore, our strongest recommendation will be to check the compatibility with them directly.

Down below you will find a link to their support site and their support forums

AMD support

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact

AMD support forums

https://community.amd.com/t5/support-forums/ct-p/supprtforums

HDCP 2.2

HDCP is the technology for protecting high-definition content against unauthorized copy or unreceptive between a source (computer, digital set-top boxes, and so on) and the sink (panels, monitor, and TVs). The processor supports HDCP 2.2 for 4k Premium content protection over wired displays (HDMI*, DVI, and DisplayPort*).

The HDCP 2.2 keys are integrated into the processor and you are not required to physically configure or handle the keys.

HUB

Please bear in mind that we do not validate the use of adapters or docking stations with our processor graphics, we recommend straight trought connections only if possible.

In regards to choosing a monitor please bear in mind the following:

• Most devices will support any resolution and refresh rate up to the maximum value listed. To find the resolutions supported by your computer and display, check with those specific manufacturers.
  • If you are planning on using multiple displays in clone or duplicate mode, you can only select a resolution supported by all displays.
  • Based on your chipset, monitor capabilities, and manufacturer configurations, your maximum supported resolution can vary.
  • In order to get further assistance on getting a monitor compatible with your computer, please get in touch with the specific manufacturer of the model, you are interested in.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello U-Go,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello U-Go,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
U-Go
Beginner

Hi Victor, sorry, I had not seen the notifications.

AMD was surprised that you suggested asking them, as they believe it should be clear for you that in order to support AMD FreeSync a Grafic Card must have an AMD chip, not an Intel one.

Thanks for confirming that it supports HDCP 2.2.

I gave you my Laptop model and anyway most laptops nowadays do not have HDMI ports.
For sure if I mention a hub I guess it's relatively clear that I do not have an HDMI port, otherwise it would be quite crazy that I choose to connect the monitor via Hub when my HDMI port is free 🙂
So, I have to live with that.
Could you please tell me if it is true that ALL sector of the chain must be certified for HDCP2.2, I mean, also cable and hub?

Thanks

0 Kudos