Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20947 Discussions

QuickSync H.264 decoding performance

idata
Employee

Hello,

I am looking for information on Intel QuickSync technology for H.264 decoding. I am currently setting up a surveillance system using Milestone XProtect as Software, which supports decoding video streams using Intel QuickSync. However, perfomance until now is suboptimal and the vendor can not really help.

We currently have 5 video streams, H.264 main profile, each 2560x1440@20fps. I bought a i5-6400 hoping that a newest generation CPU would deliver the best results, but maybe this isn't the case. At least even with QuickSync in use, CPU load is at 100% and the streams stutter. I reduced them to 1920x1080 and now it's fluent at ~80% CPU load.

I wonder if another CPU would give better results. Does QuickSync (or better H.264 decoding) performance:

- depend on the number of cores?

- depend on CPU clock?

- depend on the maximum GPU clock?

- differ between GPU families?

I see that i5-6400 "only" has Intel HD Graphics HD530, while there are some broadwell i5 available with Iris Pro 6200. Would these be better? There is a demo video from the vendor of the software which was made using a i7-4790K and shows it decoding 9 streams at 1920x1080 at apparently no problems...

Thank you,

Andreas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Andreas_H,

The latest graphics versions are 520, 530, Iris™ Pro 540 and 580 available on 6th gen processors.

Now, the graphics performance depends of the quality of the video cables, how many monitors are connected to the computer at the same time and the maximum resolution supported per type of video port is different.

In your case (video streaming) the speed of your network connection is very important as well the amount of memory (RAM) available in the computer.

Please send me your system configuration, brand name and model of the hardware, video software that you are using.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Andreas_H,

I am following your case. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos