Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20692 Discussions

Random flicker and/or totally black screens (2 monitors)

MChri9
Beginner

About a month ago I bought an HP Pavilion desktop system with Intel HD 630 integrated graphics. About a week ago I started noticing very random "glitches" - screen flicker or jumps. On several occasions it got quite sever, and one (or both) monitors went totally black. As far as I can ascertain, there is no "trigger", it just happens. It has happened under various conditions (temp, software, on web, off line, etc.). I am using two ViewSonic VX 2257 MHD 24" monitors (primary connected to the HDMI port, secondary to the D-Sub 15 pin port). After searching the web, I read an Amazon review by a guy that bought 13 of these monitors for his office. He wrote that he had the exact same issues with all the monitors, and ViewSonic offered no help. Somehow (he did not elaborate) they traced the issue to the graphics driver (brand unspecified). Sooo... I was wondering if there is a known issue with these monitors and the HD 630 driver?

Also, since I did not notice this issue for a few weeks (which can be deceiving because I may have just not seen it - it is very random) and there was an Intel update that was applied around Nov 8th (shortly before I noticed this issue), would it be advisable to roll back the driver? Are older drivers available for download?

I realize there are many variables here, and I saw your post about using a chart (frankly I was confused about how to use it) to provide info. Here is my system info:

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1709 (build 16299.64)

HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p027

3.00 gigahertz Intel Core i5-7400

12 GB DDR4 RAM

128GB SSD (primary)

2TB SSD (data)

2TB & 800GB USB drives

4TB WD MyCloud Home Duo

The ViewSonic Display Drivers are current.

This issue usually is insignificant (i.e. just an inconvenience), but maybe 5 times so far, one or both monitors are unusable for maybe 10 minutes. I worked with HP for over an hour running various tests, and the computer itself seem faultless (the screens broke up during a test of the video, but the tests all passed, so I thought the issue was the monitors, which seemed unlikely since they both do the same stuff - albeit NOT at the same time usually - however when I found a guy with 13 of them doing the same thing, I started to dig deeper). Any advice is appreciated. This is extremely frustrating since the system is less than 2 months old. Thanx!

0 Kudos
30 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MikeyChris,

You are welcome. I am sorry to see bad news about this issue and the latest driver. The next level support is still investigating this situation, and I am letting them know that the latest release did not fix the issue.

Please bear with us. I will inform you about any information from them as soon as possible.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
MChri9
Beginner

One more thing: I have noticed a fairly repeatable event. On the VGA monitor, if I change the view from window to full screen, about 70% of the time the VGA monitor will go black for 1-2 seconds. The HDMI monitor is unchanged (extended view). Changing from full screen to window seems to have NO affect. I realize this may mean nothing, but it is the first repeatable event I have noticed.

Mike

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MikeyChris,

Thank you for your patience. This issue is still under investigation by the next level of support.

I have been requested to ask you that in order to better isolate the issue, use only one display at a time, always connected to the HDMI® port and with latest 15.60.4877 driver installed.

If you can reproduce the issue on the display connected to HDMI® port, it would be useful for us if you can perhaps record a video of the problem (perhaps using his smartphone) so we can properly see it and be able to point the investigation in a proper direction.

Please bear in mind that the VGA output on the computer is not native supported by the integrated graphics, what this means is that it was added to the system by the OEM and internally there is a third-party video converter (DisplayPort™ to VGA most likely). There is little we can do there since said converter is not an Intel® component.

You can check with HP Support is there is any update available, like BIOS, per example version F.40 dated December 9th: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/swItemId/cp-201738-1

Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
MChri9
Beginner

Hello Xavier,

> I have been requested to ask you that in order to better isolate the issue, use only one display at a time, always connected to the HDMI® port and with latest 15.60.4877 driver installed.

OK, I have been doing this for about two days. The only issue happened one time only, the HDMI output went to black for maybe 2 seconds.

> If you can reproduce the issue on the display connected to HDMI® port, it would be useful for us if you can perhaps record a video of the problem (perhaps using his smartphone) so we can properly see it and be able to point the investigation in a proper direction.

I understand the desire for recording the issue, but it happens so randomly, and so infrequently (and only lasts for maybe 3 seconds max) that recording it is virtually impossible. However, there really is nothing to see when it goes black, because there is just a black monitor. The other issue (when the HDMI jumps and has skewing at the bottom of the image) is even more random than the black screen (and less frequent). However, I will try to induce the problem and record it.

> Please bear in mind that the VGA output on the computer is not native supported by the integrated graphics, what this means is that it was added to the system by the OEM and internally there is a third-party video converter (DisplayPort™ to VGA most likely). There is little we can do there since said converter is not an Intel® component.

I see. Thank you for that information.

> You can check with HP Support is there is any update available, like BIOS, per example version F.40 dated December 9th: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/swItemId/cp-201738-1 https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/swItemId/cp-201738-1

Thanks for that, I will indeed upgrade the bios. I had checked to see if there was an update, but that was prior to December. There is an HP Help system on the computer that usually alerts me to HP updates, but I missed this one.

> Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

I understand.

Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
MChri9
Beginner

Xavier,

I just attempted to update the bios, but I got a message saying the upgrade was not applicable to my computer. A screen shot is attached. Apparently the SSID of my system does not match the SSID of the update. I have no idea what SSID is (I thought it was an identifier used in WiFi).

Mike

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MikeyChris,

Thank you for the information provided. I will be adding this information to report sent to the next level of support so they can continue with their investigation.

Regarding the issue with the BIOS update, I am not entirely sure why you are getting this error. I would recommend you to contact HP Support for assistance with updating the BIOS of your system.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
MChri9
Beginner

Hello Xavier,

Well the fun just keeps coming! I was curious about the BIOS update, and did some investigating on the HP web site. Turns out there is an update for my BIOS, just not the one your link took me to (different SSID). So I downloaded and installed it, and after a bad scare (the system didn't seem to come back up for almost an hour) and three restarts, it booted up, but still has the same issues. However, I ran the intel Driver & Support Assistant, and it tells me there is a newer graphics driver (xxx.4901, I have 4877) than the one I installed when we last communicated, so I installed it, and the problem remains, in fact the HDMI was even more unstable at first (it seems to have calmed down now). So I suspect all these changes had had no effect.

Mike

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MikeyChris,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello MikeyChris,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
MChri9
Beginner

Hello Xavier,

You messaged me that you guys had pretty much done all you could, and it sounded like a hardware issue. You suggested I contact HP possible warranty action, but I had already done that before my first contact with you. HP was not much help, and I was very grateful and appreciative of the help you guys offered. It seems we have reached a plateau. The system is useable, just irritating 🙂

Mike

0 Kudos