Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Resolutions and full screen.

MS16
Beginner

(I'm new to the forums, so forgive me if there are certain things I shouldn't be posting here. Please let me know if I do)

So, basically, I'm a gamer. I use my ASUS X1935 to play videogames. And, to be fair, it doesn't run them quite well with the default resolution.

However, when I switch to a resolution like 800x600, it fills the screen fine, except it's stretched, because I have a widescreen TV as my display device. It also runs moderately well on smaller widescreen resolutions, however, they're not full screen, and there is quite a bit of letterboxing (black borders around the edge).

Is there a way to change how the display/graphics driver, so that it makes any resolution (below the default) fill the screen? Widescreen or otherwise?

I should note that I have seen, and tried out the "Automatically fit screen" option. When I do that, the screen goes black, and I can't see a thing. The PC is still there, but I don't know what to do. In fact, I tried it now whilst writing this, and I can't get it back. Awesome. I should mention that because my display device is a TV, I had to change the resolution to something custom.

Please, please help me if you can. This is quite urgent.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Perhaps you can try using the Scaling option instead, that black screen behavior is probably happening because you are using a custom resolution.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics Intel® Driver Update Utility for graphics drivers

0 Kudos
MS16
Beginner

How do I do that? I have to use a custom Win7 Resolution because I'm using a TV screen.

0 Kudos
RKari3
New Contributor III

Have you tried checking if the settings on your TV have the Options Set.

Try changing the ratio to something like 4:3 | 16:9 etc and check.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
MS16
Beginner

No, I've checked to the best of my ability. I mean, there may be a function there, but because this is my only display device for my PC, I don't want to mess it up and lose the picture (again).

Thanks for your input, though, I appreciate that. Same for anyone who replies.

0 Kudos
RKari3
New Contributor III

im pretty sure changing the television options from 4:3 to 16:9 is harmless.

If its not too much trouble post a snapshot of the problem which might give more insight

0 Kudos
MS16
Beginner

There isn't much to screenshot, to be honest. However, I can confirm that my resolution is 1080x1920.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

FartyMc.Fly, I am sorry I did not explain this before; the scaling options are usually available at the bottom of the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel when you select Display.

For the native resolution you should get Maintain Display Scaling and Customize Aspect Ratio, choosing this last one will allow you to use the sliders located on the right side of the window close to the little picture. More options will appear depending on the screen resolution selected.

Another option you could try is setting up a different resolution within the game itself rather than in Windows*.

0 Kudos
MS16
Beginner

I just tried that, I changed the scaling to a custom Aspect Ratio. Only slightly, however. There was no change.

And, yes, I have tried adjusting the resolution in-game. For some reason (as previously stated) it works fine, and 4:3 resolutions fill the screen fine (800x600,1024x768). But with widescreen resolutions, like 1600x900 that SHOULD fill the screen fine do not, and leave these horrid black borders around the edge, and actually resizing the display (which is what I want, in a way), but it doesn't fill the screen, and I'm told that most graphics drivers do that by default. I'm just seeing if Intel HD has an option to do that...

Here is an image of what I mean -

(Note how there is a black border around the actual game itself)

0 Kudos
RKari3
New Contributor III

Please change the aspect ratio of the television from 4:3 to 16:9 for widescreen resolutions. They are in the television options and not in Windows.

When viewing movies that are widescreen, we generally do that.

I think this has to be manually done in some models especially if your TV is a bit old.

Im not sure it will work but it is worth trying out especially since you have already tried most of the stuf

0 Kudos
MS16
Beginner

Alright, so I fiddled around with some of the settings both on the computer and on the TV, and somehow it's fixed itself. I don't know how I did it, but nevertheless, all the games fit the screen well now at 16:9 resolutions.

Thank you all very much for your input!

0 Kudos
RKari3
New Contributor III

Hi,

Good to know you solved the issue.

Please mark the question as answered and give some input as to how you solved the problem.

This way others can benefit if they face similar problems.

Rushang

0 Kudos