Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20635 Discussions

Screen flickering after intel HD 5500 drivers install

MD9
Novice

Hello,

Using windows 8.1 , just bought a new laptop, everything works great, I'm even writing from the laptop.

But when I try installing the drivers from lenovo support (intel hd 5500) , screen starts flickering and I can't see nothing, the only way to use the laptop is to restore it to the last point..

I tried like 3-4 versions of the drivers, yet nothing work.

The NVIDIA drivers work without any problem, but intel just gets flickering...

Using windows 8.1..

Help!!

51 Replies
ASund2
Beginner

Really? After 6months they are "working on it"?? We just bought 300 of these machines and they are slowly hitting the problem one by one. I'm about ready to have them returned as I'm within the return policy and tell Dell that the graphics software isn't being repaired so we're going with another brand. Secondary monitor flickers. No bios update or software fix takes care of the issue. Even tried using displayport instead of dvi with the same results. We'll see what happens but I doubt we will keep these and we will let the other bank corps that we work with to not purchase intel in the future if they are not able to support their corporate customers. We are using the dell docking stations with latitudeE7250 laptops for reference. I look forward to hearing anything "besides" we are working on it because after this length of time, that doesn't sound like the truth.

0 Kudos
SHoog1
Beginner

Allan,

15.40.14.4352 doesnt resolve the issue either. May it be that it has to do something with the audio? notice it a lot when playing spotify or watching Netflix. there is even a stutter in the audio from time to time. anyway it doesnt seem to get better.

I assume btw that i can retun the nuc? or that Intel replaces it for one that doesnt have these issues??? (equaly or greater ofcourse)

Tonight another night of watching Netflickering, powered by Intel inside!

cheers

0 Kudos
SHoog1
Beginner

Have you guys tried to put the refresh rate at 60hz? I installed the latest beta driver and have put the rate from 59 to 60hz. Not sure what's the fix but I haven't seen the flickering since. Fingers crossed, I thought this before... Anyway wurth to try.

0 Kudos
AMuch
Beginner

Hi,

The last beta drivers can't be installed on the R516LX sadly and strangly enough. But I've found something curious. I have to manually disable the intel 5500 in the device manager so I can use the computer with the 950M chip. I've checked what is the refresh rate of the screen on both : with the Intel it shows 60hz, but with the nvidia it shows 64hz (and it work), but i don't have the choice to change the option on both anyway. Maybe the problem is related to this ?

Intel please, can you give us some news ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
bhenr1
Novice

I am having the same problem everyone describes but with the intel iris 6100 under windows 8.1. the screen flickers randomly with lines all the time. I've also noticed that when i use the microsoft generic display adapter it automatically changes my refresh rate to 64 hz as well and no lines or flashing shows up on the screen. However, this is not suitable because even video playback is choppy with the generic driver. I have no option to change to 64hz refresh rate with any intel display driver either. I've tried the latest WHQL and the latest beta but no good. Its very frustrating, is there any update from intels driver team? What I want to know is if this issue is even being worked on? I am looking forward to a driver fix.

Regards,

jhhh

0 Kudos
ECost7
Beginner

Hi allan_intel,

Appreciate that Intel is aware of this problem. Happy to help move this along - it's a horrible user experience and one that causes high frustration with the community. Can we expect a fix soon? Do you need help testing or demonstrating the behavior on different systems?

0 Kudos
SHoog1
Beginner

Try to chance the refreshrate tot 60hz instead of 59. This resolved for me the issue. I had no flickering ever since.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

amorf546 Thanks for sharing details about this workaround.

Allan.

0 Kudos
ECost7
Beginner

@allan_intel, this is not a workaround. Please, please don't assume this works. It doesn't.

Sad that we can't get a resolution after so much back-and-forth.

0 Kudos
bhenr1
Novice

Yeah I already said in a post earlier in this thread that it didnt work. Theres not even any hz available besides 60 for me. It only changes to 64hz with the windows generic display adapter, then no flickering but horrible performance. it was a lose lose, I just had to buy a new machine because I was so sick of dealing with this for the past 6 months.

0 Kudos
MHols
Beginner

A short update from Denmark - for Dell users...

We have experienced the issue for several months since purchasing E7450 Laptops and E-Port II docks.

(Blinking screens with HDMI and black screens with DisplayPort).

But the new Dock firmware v3.10.1 A07 from 21. april appears to have solved all of our problems.

Here is the link to VMM3320 MST HUB Firmware for E5250/E5450/E5550/E7250/E7450:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=FV9KP&fileId=3535351776&osCode=WT64A&productCode=latitude-e7450-ultrabook&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=FV9KP&fileId=3535351776&osCode=WT64A&productCode=latitude-e7450-ultrabook&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

Best regards

Martin
0 Kudos
AMuch
Beginner

Hi,

Allan, can you give us some official news please ? 😕

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am still waiting for an official word but you can test the new driver here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25948/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Allan.

0 Kudos
AMuch
Beginner

Doesn't work, the installation close itself because the driver didn't get validated for this computer ... I have the same message with the others versions of the driver...

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Your computer model requires drivers from your computer manufacturer but you can still try manual installation

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Allan.

0 Kudos
AMuch
Beginner

Yes I've done that before. And with this driver it's even worse : windows disable it after reboot because it detects problems with it (before reboot it spam errors messages and still have the visual glitches)

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been asking for an update on this matter but we have not been able to duplicate this issue with different hardware, but same graphics controller and drivers.

Were you guys able to check physical memory?

Did you test the computer with different memory modules and brands?

Load default settings in BIOS.

Please provide any feedback about this issue.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JŽupk
Beginner

Hi,

I have same problem with Sony Vaio Flip 13A SVF13N13CXB cpu Intel® Core™ i5-4200U gpu Intel® HD Graphics 4400

The screen started flicker and switching to yellow color after updating from windows 8.1 to 10.

It works without when I'm using ubuntu 16 live distribution from usb.

Thanks

0 Kudos
NSmir3
Beginner

I tried to replace RAM, it does not solve the issue.

When I connect the TV via HDMI problem disappears on two screens.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

It seems to be possible registry conflict, please test removing and reinstalling the latest video drivers: 4463

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Please let me know if the latest driver has worked after changing Windows registry.

Allan.

0 Kudos
NSmir3
Beginner

I checked the latest version of the drivers (4463) on a clean system windows 8.1 64bit, it does not solve the issue.

In Ubuntu 16.10 all works is perfect (3D, screen brightness), Driver version - intel corporation broadwell-u integrated graphics (rev 09).

0 Kudos