Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20660 Discussions

Screen micro freezes / stuttering every few seconds

PaulFt
Beginner

Hello,

(I think) since the windows 11 my laptop has cpu stuttering which cause screen micro freeze. While these freezes, the mouse keep moving but I can't do anything, I noticed that CPU is 100% used just after the freeze, as you can see in video linked. It happens every 15-20 seconds and last 3 seconds. I recorded it just after starting my PC, without any program running. I feel like it's getting worse over time.

I noticed when i disable the Intel Iris Plus Graphics from Windows device manager (so my PC run only on Nvidia gpu) it stops stuttering. I tried to update the Intel graphics driver, ACER don't offer any but Intel website do. However it didnt change anything.

Ccleaner driver updater offers even recent driver, I installed it and it didnt change either.

Specs :

Laptop : acer swift SF514-54gt

CPU : Intel Core i7-1065G7 1.30GHz

GPU : Intel Iris Plus Graphics (driver 31.0.101.2125)
           & NVIDIA GeForce MX25

16go RAM

BIOS version 1.21 (latest version)

Thanks to anybody could help, it's getting hard to work on this computer.

Paul

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

PaulFt, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We are sorry to hear about this issue and we will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was this machine working fine before without showing the stuttering/freezing issue that you are describing?

Is this problem happening when you run a specific task, or it happens all the time?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes, besides updating to Windows 11*, that might cause this issue?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

If you have the option, when the system is not getting freeze, could you please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
PaulFt
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Thanks for your reply, here are the answers to you questions :

-My laptop isn't knew, it's 3 years old and the stuttering problem occurs since few months, it's hard to know exactly since it does that.

-The laptop is working perfectly fine beside that. It had a black screen issue on some software using GPU (for example when playing video on firefox or using Adobe indesign) however the drivers update I did to resolve the stuttering issue patched that (one problem left)

-It happens all the time independently from the softwares running. The video I linked was recorded jsut after the OS start. The only solution to stop it is to disable Intel graphic card from Windows device manager

-I did not make anything when I noticed a change. I can't remember exactly when the problem occurs and I feel it came little by little. Now my laptop is stuttering all the time the Intel graphic card is on.

-The problem occurs everywhere, at work, home or anything else

I linked you the SSU report, I did one when the Intel graphic card is off and one when it's on.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

PaulFtYou are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU reports.

Based on the details shown in the SSU document, we can confirm, that your computer is working with a dual graphics configuration. Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics with driver version 27.20.100.9415, and NVIDIA GeForce MX250 with driver version 31.0.15.3667.

In this case, just to rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

For this scenario, it is important to mention that we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked at Acer's website and, as you mentioned, they do not offer a graphics driver for installation. Additionally, it seems that Windows* 11 has not been validated by them as an officially supported Operating System for your device, since they only provide drivers for Windows* 10:

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/SF514-54GT/downloads?suggest=Swift%20SF514-54GT;0

Even though the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, for testing purposes, please try a clean installation of graphics driver version 31.0.101.2125, following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/776137/intel-7th-10th-gen-processor-graphics-windows.html?wapkw=1065g7

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Additionally, although you noted that the BIOS is up to date, we still recommend to get in contact directly with Acer Support to confirm that the proper BIOS version is currently installed on your laptop:

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello PaulFt, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello PaulFt, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
PaulFt
Beginner

Hello Albert sorry for not responding,

I was waiting for respnse from Acer. Unfortunatly none of solutions worked. I clean installed the new Intel and Nvidia drivers, but the freezes still occur. I will maybe ask Acer about it, I defintly think that windows 11 is not properly working with these components.

thank you again
Paul

0 Kudos