Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20841 Discussions

Screen randomly turns black 4k@60 Arc 770

urcereal
Beginner

Hi,

Updated to the latest driver package (gfx_win_101.4644.exe) and now after an hour or two the screen starts flickering to black whenever the mouse is moved I assume triggering a screen refresh. A reboot resets the display but the flickering returns. Tried to dowgrade the driver but the flickering remains. I think the card firmware was also updated in this driver package. First problem in about 8 months.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your clarification.

I will continue with the investigation, to provide you with the next steps as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your time.

We still working on the investigation and to continue with it, attach the report for the following tools when the monitor is connected via DisplayPort:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
  2. Search "Dxdiag.exe" and run it.
  3. After the scan is complete, click the Save All Information button. This will save the graphics settings of your computer through a text file (.txt).

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Attached. This problem is only evident when I run Visual Studio Code. I've been on DisplayPort all day without issue . . . if I run Visual Studio Code the problem starts after a delay and blanks the screen whenever VSCode has focus.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your answer and for the information provided.

I see you attached the DxDiag report, to be able to continue with the investigation, please run and attach the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, find the installation steps on How to Install the Intel® Graphics Command Center From the Microsoft Store.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

See attached.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your response, and for the attachments.

I will continue with the investigation, and as soon I have further details I will let you know. 

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your wait time.

I have been working on the investigation, and we would like to try to reproduce this issue, for that please provide us with step-by-step instructions.

Also, follow the steps below and let me know the results:

• Test a different monitor via DisplayPort. This is to discard that the monitor is the cause of the issue.
  • Clean install the Operating System just to rule out 3rd party software issues.

Keep me informed of the results

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Were you able to test a different monitor via DisplayPort and clean install the Operating System?   

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Before I close this thread, please follow the steps below and let me know the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Yep, I'll try that tomorrow and let you know what happens

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for keeping us informed.

I will be waiting for the results, as soon I have them I will let you know the next steps if necessary.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
urcereal
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Re-installed using DDU and  31.0.101.488.

Opened Visual Studio Code and just left it open. After approximately 3 hrs if I moved the mouse over the Visual Studio Code window the screen would blank. I checked periodically before the 3 hr mark and VSCode window behaved normally . . . I could min/max the window and move the mouse over the window without a problem. Once the problem starts it happens every time the mouse moves across the VSCode app even if it is minimised onto the task bar. Think I'll just stick with HDMI.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your reply and for keeping me informed of the results.

I will continue with the investigation of the issue and as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your time. 

We still working on the investigation, and now we will try to replicate the issue, as soon I have the results I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Thank you for your patience.

We still working on the reproduction of you issue, and we will have the results soon. We released a new graphics driver version this week, at the meantime, please follow the steps below, and let me know the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

Were you able to clean install the graphics driver to version 31.0.101.4900 with DDU?   

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,   

Andres P.   

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello urcereal,

I want to let you know that the issue was not replicated, while testing the Visual Studio code with the driver 31.0.101.4900 when launching the app and moving the mouse around, we could not find any type of black screen or graphical glitch on the screen. As well after leaving the app running for an hour, we could not find any flickering on the display or something of that nature.

In this case, we recommend contacting Microsoft, as this is isolated to your computer environment and this app.

For now, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P. 

0 Kudos