Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Screen resolution is lost after computer restart/power cycle

JKuče
Beginner

Hello all,

after update to the latest (15.36.7.64.3960) or the previously released (15.36.3.64.3907) Intel Iris and HD Graphics driver for Windows 7/8/8.1 64bit, I have the following issue – the screen resolution is lost (reset to 1024×768 or sometimes even lower resolutions) after restart of my PC, switching my display off and on or after unplugging display cable and plugging it back. It's possible to change the resolution back to the desired value, but this setting is lost after computer restart or power cycle. I recently reinstalled OS to be sure that the issue is not caused by corrupted OS, but it didn't help.

With old driver 15.33.22.64.3621 (Win64_153322.exe), it works correctly.

I have CPU/GPU Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Core i7 4770S), mainboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (F9 and F10b BIOSes), display Dell U3014 (2560×1600) connected via DisplayPort, Windows 8.1 64-bit (with the latest possible updates and HW drivers).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Kalwi, thanks for joining the Graphics community.

I was able to make a test using a Dell ultra book and a DZ87KLT Intel Motherboard. Both devices use HD4600 and the latest Graphics drivers available.

I changed the resolution to 1024x768 and after a system restart, both systems maintained the resolution previously selected.

I would suggest you to test another monitor on this computer. You may also want to try a different cable and also check if there is a new BIOS version that you can try to install.

ADell4
Beginner

Wow - having the same issue

Hardware : HP EliteDesk 800 Mini

Display: Dual HP displays connected via DisplayPort

Driver version 10.18.10.3960

Issue:

When PC comes out of sleep the secondary (Not primary) screen comes back on at very low resolution of 640x480

Work around:

Disconnect Displayport cable and re-connect which is not acceptable

Query - At power on no issues??

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Kz9dv6, when did you start getting this behavior?

Have you tried using HP Graphics drivers? Remember that we offer generic drivers and sometimes they do not work as expected on OEM system.

BSmai
Beginner

I have the same issue on a brand new Dell M3800. I downloaded the Windows 7 driver for the HD 4600 Graphics driver. After installation it gave me a resolution of 3840x2160. After setting the resolution to 1920x1080 I rebooted and it reset back to the higher resolution. I ended up removing the driver altogether until I can find a fix.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Barttrek, could you please try this procedure,

If you do want to overwrite the drivers with the Generic Intel drivers, follow these steps exactly. Note, you will lose any customization made in the drivers specifically for your system and the system may not function as expected.

Download the zip version of the generic Intel HD Graphics driver here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24785/Intel-Iris-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24785/Intel-Iris-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit

Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

1. Login with administrator privileges

2. Open Control Panel

3. Open Device Manager

4. Click on "Display adapters"

5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"

6. Click on the "Driver" tab

7. Click on "Update Driver" button

8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

10. Click on "Have Disk" button

11. Click "Browse"

12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Intel HD Graphics driver to

13. Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS</span>

15. Click "OK"

16. Click "Next", Driver should now be installing.

17. If successful, click "Close", Reboot.

Please let me know the results,

0 Kudos