Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20829 Discussions

System (Intel i5 13500 + UHD 770) crashes randomly with white dotted lines on screen/black screen

Mic1987
Beginner

Hello,

My whole system crashes randomly with white dotted lines on screen or the screen turning black then off. The system does not respond anymore to the keyboard or mouse inputs in that case and eventually the system reboots. The crashes occur randomly in Windows (at login or when the desktop is loading and in the applications) AND ALSO in the UEFI BIOS before Windows has even booted (attached pictures).

My system was built in April 2023 with : Intel i5 13500 + UHD 770  (no additional GPU)+ ASRock B760M PG Riptide + Crucial RAM 32GB Kit DDR5 5600MHz CT2K16G56C46U5 + Kingston Fury 2To SSD SFYRD2000G + Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621.

Troubleshooting already done :
(i) the screen (BenQ SW2700PT) works perfectly well with other PCs / laptops with the same cables
(ii) using different cables (including Display Port, HDMI) has been tested without success (the same probem still occurs)
(iii) the last available BIOS on ASRock website for this motherboard is used (6.3)
(iv) the power supply shall be largely enough for this simple configuration as it can provide up to 580 W (Be Quiet ! Straight Power 580W)
(v) the case (Fractal Define Mini) is well ventilated with 4 fans + a large CPU fan (Thermalright Macho) and the temperatures indicated in HWMonitor were always less than 65°C for the CPU and less than 45°C for the GPU when the system crashed

Could you please help me fix this as I absolutely need it in July / August to work, which is unfortunately not feasible with all these crashes...

Thanks a lot for your help and best regards

Michael

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mic1987,

Thank you for contacting Intel️® customer support. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

If the issue happens on the BIOS configuration screen, it could be a processor issue. However, you mentioned that the system crashes randomly, and sometimes you can load some applications. Please try running the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. It does an overall test on the unit, and if it passes the test, it means it is working properly.

We also noticed that your RAM speed is 5600MT/s. Based on your processor specifications, the Intel® Core™ i5-13500 Processor support up to DDR5 4800 MT/s. If you have XMP enabled o run the memory at the module-rated speed, we recommend you run the BIOS to default settings. Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mic1987
Beginner

Thank you for your reply Jean,

I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed all the tests with success.

For the memory I use the XMP profile integrated in the RAM to get 5600 MHz. I also ran Windows memtest and memtest86  with no error raised for the memory.

Do you think it could be motherboard default ?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mic1987,

Thanks for the information provided.

Since your processor passed the IPDT test, this may indicate that the processor is working as expected.

We understand that you created an XMP profile to run your memory at 5600MT/s. However, as we mentioned before, the processor supports a maximum speed of 4800 MT/s for DDR5 modules. Altering the memory speed to higher may reduce system stability and performance. To discard that the issue is being caused by system instability due to the memory being overrunning at speeds over the specifications of the processor, set the Motherboard BIOS to the default settings or use an XMP profile to run the memory at the 4800 MT/s.

If you suspect the motherboard may be faulty, consult with your motherboard manufacturer for further troubleshooting. They can further help you discard whether or not the motherboard is defective. You can also try another motherboard if possible.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Mic1987
Beginner

Thank you for your reply Jean

I have ordered another motherboard and will check next week whether I still have the issue with the memory at 

4800 MT/s.

Best regards

Michael

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mic1987,

Thanks for your response.

We understand that you have ordered another motherboard, and will need some time to test the new motherboard and check if the issue remains after setting the memory at 4800 MT/s.

You can also check the recommendations listed in our article Random System Crashes on an Intel® Boxed Processor. As per my recommendation, we would like to recommend you try the following:

• Start the system in a minimal configuration. Minimal configuration: motherboard, processor, power supply unit, and one DRAM module.  
  • Try to get a fresh image of the operating system.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mic1987,

We hope you are doing fine.

Does the crashing issue persist? We are looking forward to knowing the outcome of the recommendations provided in our previous post.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mic1987,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Mic1987
Beginner

Hello Jean and thank you for your reply,

I just received the new motherboard (MSI PRO B760M-A DDR5) and reinstalled the system.

So far I did not experience any new crash even though the memory was set by default with the XMP profile at 5600 MT/s without any action from myself.

Let's hope the situation will last which would then mean my previous motherboard was faulty.

Best regards

Michael

0 Kudos