Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20951 Discussions

Temporary default panel 640*480

BarMaley
Novice

On boot up, after a long sleep, Windows 10 possibly can't initially identify my single UHD monitor connected via HDMI and adds to the Device Manager default flat 640*480 panel. My guess is at this time this resolution is taken by Windows. Thus changing the size and location of whatever open tiles(windows) I had before. When boot-up is complete, the resolution is correct but the device manager shows as a hidden device additional monitor as Default flat panel 640*480 60Hz. That fact leads me to believe that the cause of resizing and relocation was the wrong panel identification.

Additionally, I can see some new configurations in the Windows registry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\

If I look inside there I can see my UHD resolution as well as some other entries: most often VGA(640*480) and less often FHD.

FYI I'm using INTEL NUC Pentium and monitor LG 32UK50T connected via HDMI.

I am sick and tired of changing the size and moving my screen windows.

How do we fix this issue? I spent three days with Microsoft support, but they only forced me to reinstall Windows on my PC and proved their complete incompetence.

Can you guys help me?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BarMaley
Novice
This is my reply to the email I received from the Intel community.

Hello,

I understand how frustrating it can be to deal with display issues, especially after spending a significant amount of time with support. Let’s try to address the problem step by step.

The issue you’re experiencing with the temporary default panel at 640*480 resolution seems to be related to how Windows 10 handles display detection and configuration during the boot process. Here are some steps you can take to potentially resolve this issue:

Update Graphics Driver:
Ensure that your Intel graphics driver is up to date. You can visit the Intel website or use the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to automatically detect and update drivers.

They are correct and up-to-date

Check HDMI Connection:
Verify that the HDMI cable is properly connected and in good condition. Sometimes a faulty cable or connection can cause detection issues.

If it were any issues they would manifest themselves not only during boot-up, so I don't see any issues here.
Monitor Settings:
Check your monitor settings to ensure it’s set to the correct input source and that any power-saving features are configured correctly.

They are correct
Windows Display Settings:
Go to Settings > System > Display and make sure that the correct display is selected and set as the main display.

They are correct
Registry Edit (Advanced):
As you’ve noticed entries in the registry, you can attempt to clean up old or unused monitor configurations in the registry. This is an advanced step and should be done with caution. Back up your registry before making changes.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration and remove any entries that don’t correspond to your current monitor setup.

The screenshot is attached. The somewhat suspicious key value is highlighted.

register.png.png

Prevent Windows from Resizing:
To prevent Windows from automatically resizing your windows, you can adjust the settings in Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Adjust resolution and ensure that the option to “Change the size of all items” is set to your preference.

The screenshot is attached and I don't see option mentioned above

control panel.png.png

Persistent Windows Position:
There are third-party utilities available that can help maintain the position and size of your windows even after resolution changes.

I don't want to use any third-party product, sorry 

0 Kudos
JeanetteC_Intel

Hello BarMaley,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

To better assist you with this concern, can you provide the exact NUC Pentium model having this resolution issue? We'll wait for your response.

Best regards,

Jeanette C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JeanetteC_Intel

Hello BarMaley,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

To better assist you with this concern, can you provide the exact NUC Pentium model having this resolution issue? We'll wait for your response.

Best regards,

Jeanette C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JeanetteC_Intel

Hi BarMaley,

Thank you for sharing this information. Seeing that your product is an NUC13, I want to let you know that the Technical and Warranty Support for Intel’s NUC 7 through NUC 13 Systems has transitioned to ASUS as of January 16, 2024 please contact ASUS Support. All software, firmware, BIOS support, and security advisories will be supported through ASUS as well.

You may check the reference article: Customer Support Services for Intel® NUC Products Has Transitioned to ASUS as of January 16, 2024.

I will be closing this case. Should you have new concerns in the future, feel free to create a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored.

Jeanette C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BarMaley
Novice

I have talked to ASUS. Nothing changed. I still don't have any solution. Just tested yet another hypothesis. No luck. 

IMG_0838.jpg

0 Kudos