Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20976 Discussions

The Intel(R) Graphics System Controller Firmware Interface is being reset

elnurani
Beginner

Hi,

Recently i started facing video playback stutter with audio stutter for about 1 sec and then restore normal playing, this happened several times in an hour. after checking the windows logs in the event viewer the message "The Intel(R) Graphics System Controller Firmware Interface is being reset" found repeatedly and coinciding with the video and audio stuttering.

System configuration:

Lenovo  IdeaCentre AIO 5 27IAH7

CPU: Intel I7 12700H

GPU: Intel ARC A370M

RAM: 32GB DDR5

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD .

Troubleshooting steps bien done:

- Bios was checked and found it is latest version as per OEM "LENOVO" website

- Tried several intel ARC graphics drivers and currently the latest driver installed "32.0.101.5762"

- Clean install of windows 11 with formatting of the SSD.

All the above did not solve the problem.

Very important Note:

The system started this behavior only after upgrading to windows eleven 24H2, 

On windows eleven  23H2 and 22H2 the system runs fine without any issues.

SSU.TXT attached for further analysis and troubleshooting.

please help to resolve this issue

Regard

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello elnurani,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

For me to further check this, please help provide the following details:

1. Can you share a video of the issue?
  2. What is the app that you are using playing the video?
  3. Are you also having this issue playing a video online like in Youtube?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
elnurani
Beginner

Hello Michael,

in response to your enquires please find the following:

1. The issue of stuttering is very random, it is difficult to capture in video.

2. I am using different video players such like, MPC , KMPlayer & Potplayer all of these players are 64Bit versions and latest. all of them experienced the same phenomena "video & Audio stutter momentarily and resume normal play, the stutter last 1 second or less"   the issue is frequent.

3. It happened also in youtube.

In my understanding and experience this issue happened when there is switching between iGPU and dGPU when there is demand. with only windows eleven 24H2.

Currently i can run the PC free of this problem if i disable either the iGPU "Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics" or the dGPU " ARC A370M" .

I am not expert in computer, however i feel like the problem has to do with driver compatibility with windows eleven 24H2 and switchable graphics.

Regards 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello elnurani,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Let me ask additional questions about this issue.

1. Are you also having this issue using the Windows default media player?
  2. In the SSU, you have 2 Graphics. Arc A370M and Iris Xe. Have you tried disabling one at a time to check and isolate the issue?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
elnurani
Beginner

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the follow up.

1. The stuttering also happened when playing video with windows default media player, the event viewer generated the same error message "The Intel(R) Graphics System Controller Firmware Interface is being reset" whenever the stuttering happened.

2. When i disabled either of the graphics cards  "Arc A370M" or the "Iris Xe" there is no issue and the video playback is smooth.

any of the graphics card alone there is no problem, if both graphics cards enabled there is stuttering.

Hopefully the provided information can help troubleshooting the issue.

Regards 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello elnurani,

It seems that there is an issue with the designation of task by the Lenovo system.

You may try to designated which Graphics to use for an application. You may check this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090168/graphics.html

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
elnurani
Beginner

Hello Michael,

Appreciate your support.

I would like to highlight that the computer was perfectly running on windows eleven 23H2, the GPU preference for applications was automatically decided by windows,  there was no issues at all with graphics hiccups or stutters, this problem only started when upgraded to windows eleven 24H2.  hence i doubt that the problem related to Lenovo system.

Designating graphics to each application principally works similar to disabling one of the graphics cards "when the application is running" I don't think this is the resolution for the root cause of the problem. this will render the switchable graphics useless.

The problem started with windows eleven 24H2, the culprit either intel driver or windows. 

Thank you for your patient  

Regards 

elnurani

0 Kudos
elnurani
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Quick update:

Today i downgraded to windows 11 "23H2" with clean install and the problem with video and audio stutter still there.

Regards 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello elnurani,

Technically speaking, the Graphics controller are also working fine since there is no issue when you try to disable the one Graphics controller. So this issue may be caused by the Windows update or from the Lenovo system itself. Have you tried contacting the OS support or Lenovo about this issue?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
elnurani
Beginner

Hello Michael,

I opened the issue in Lenovo support form, however till now there is no resolution to the problem. regarding windows i downgraded to windows 11 "23H2" but the problem is the same.

I have noticed that the intel ARC control showing that the resizable BAR is not supported.

ARC Control.png

however the GPU-Z show that the resizable BAR is enabled.

GPU-Z.gif

Would you look into this issue

Regards 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello elnurani,

Can you share a video of the issue for me to also try and investigate the issue here on my end?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos