Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Ubuntu Repo held packages?`

Aames
Beginner

The following packages have been kept back:
gedit gedit-common libva-drm2 libva-wayland2 libva-x11-2 libva2 va-driver-all
xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-libinput xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-radeon
xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18 not upgraded.

Just curious if this is my problem or because updates are being pushed to the repository.. thanks!

Ask if you need more info.. it's the deb [arch=amd64] https://repositories.intel.com/graphics/ubuntu focal main

REpo

thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Aames, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, in order for us to try to provide the information that you are looking for, first, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Intel® processor that you are working with?

What is the model of the motherboard where you are using the Intel® processor?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new system?

When did the issue start?

Did you have this kind of problem before with this same machine?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Which is the Ubuntu version being used?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Aames
Beginner

The ssu script is borked and not supported on my Debian Sid installation.  It also fails/crashes with a "./ssu.sh: line 321: warning: command substitution: ignored null byte in input"  So, I won't be going any further with that.  It's an intel i7-7700 KAby Lake, MSI Motherboard, old system, issue started about a week ago, the packages I listed are "held back" and have not changed to installable yet.  I was wondering if it was some sort of repository push that missed some packages or something?  Also, I am not an expert on Debian or linux just yet.  I was under the impression that the intel ubuntu repository had latest versions of software and it also has a beta driver for nvidia which I've installed and I really like that about it.  It's very possible that I'm just doing something wrong, but I'd liek to keep using this REPO because downgrading the packages to the debian sid repository would be painful... thanks

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Aames, Thank you very much for providing all those details.

Just to let you know, Ubuntu has not been validated by Intel® as an officially supported Operating System, all the drivers that we have on our official website were tested and validated for Windows* as OS, as you can confirm in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=idsa-suggested#q=i7%207700&sort=relevancy&f:@tabfilter=[Downloads]

Just to confirm:

Are you a developer?

Are you working on a project?

Are you building, designing, or modifying hardware/software?

Are you working with a specific Intel® hardware/software platform? For example Intel® OpenVINO toolkit?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Aames
Beginner

I intend to work with some OpenCL stuff and utilize CUDA on my nvidia and OpenCL on my CPU/iGPU, I thought it would be useful.. and now I am stuck with packages that can't be installed, they are held, not real sure why.  I am starting to think using the ubuntu repo on Debian Sid was a bad idea and if you have any reliable methods for purging the higher version packages and downgrading to the debian main repo that might help.  I'm just a guy, not a dev.    or any ideas on how to ge these packages unstock that would be great

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Aames, Thank you very much for clarifying that information.

We will do further research on this matter to try to provide the information that you are looking for or to point you in the right direction to get it. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Aames
Beginner

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!  Being such a newbie I am not totally sure I am doing this right and your support will go far, and I'm learning fast!  If you or I can't come up with a fix I will likely start with a fresh linux install and not use the repository at intel, but I really do like the idea of having the BETA nvidia drivers and bleeding edge Intel packages available to me..  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Aames
Beginner

I have actually learned that Debian is not compatible with an ubuntu repository, and it's dangerous and stupid to use it, but I really do want those new versions of software.. in packages.. but I may reconsider my choice of distribution after this because of this! 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Aames, You are very welcome. I just received an update on this matter.

"I'm learning fast", Perfect, and so are the peers looking at this thread, we are sure the information you shared will be very useful and helpful for all of them.

After reviewing the case, we determine that actually, the next thing to do, in this case, will be to get in contact directly with the Linux* appropriate vendor for further support and assistance on this matter since those drivers are provided and maintained by the Linux* distribution vendors and not by Intel®. In the following link you will find further details on this topic and the contact information for Linux support:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005520/graphics.html

Additionally, you can also visit the link below which includes an FAQ to address some questions about this subject:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/faq

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Aames
Beginner

Yes, the linux vendor in this case Debian does not support the Intel repository that the Nvidia 510 driver and the Intel drivers for Open CL are hosted on.  It's on the Intel domain name, why wouldn't they know anything about it at Intel?  But honestly yes, I have the understanding this was my mistake and I am responsible for figuring out what went wrong on my machine 🙂  But I thank you kindly for trying and the links!  Have a good day!

If you have anything else to share please do otherwise you can close this issue, I do have a plan to get things back to normal.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Aames, Thank you very much for your response.

"If you have anything else to share please do otherwise you can close this issue", from our side, to get in contact directly with the Linux* distribution vendors for technical support will be the best recommendation for this matter.

We really hope that you will be able to find a solution to this scenario.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos