Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

I'm starting this discussion space as somewhere to post tips, tricks, and difficulties to discuss EDID modification. If you have a question or comment, post it here and help your fellow users by answering their questions.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
KKell7
Beginner

Hardware: Lenovo IdeaPad U530 Touch, i7-4500U CPU, Intel HD 4400 graphics w/ nVidia GeForce GT 730M, 1920x1080 built-in LCD display

Intel HD Graphics Driver: 20.19.15.4963

Usage scenario: I need 50Hz refresh rate so I can correctly emulate European (PAL) mode classic computers/consoles (such as Commodore Amiga) w/ V-Sync enabled.

Problem # 1: Even after installing CRU-1.4, using it to add 50Hz display modes, and rebooting, the 50Hz display modes STILL do not show up in either the Windows control panel pages or the Intel graphics properties app. I cannot get 50Hz display modes to work at all.

Problem # 2: The Intel graphics properties app shows a "Custom Resolutions" section, but whenever I try to use it to create 50Hz resolution modes, it refuses to set it and throw up a lying dialog that erroneously claims "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity." That's clearly incorrect, since 1920x1080x60Hz is obviously supported and 1920x1080x50Hz would obviously require LESS bandwidth than that, not more.

Expectation # 1: The "Custom Resolutions" section of the Intel graphics properties app should work correctly, not lie, and allow me to create legitimate modes with lower refresh rates.

Expectation # 2: No third-party/external software (such as the aforementioned "Custom Resolution Utility") should be required to create custom resolution modes.

Expectation # 3: 50Hz versions of ALL supported resolution modes should be baked in and supported "right out of the box", without having to add them as custom resolution modes.

Expectation # 4: Intel's video driver engineers should be supported by their management chain, all the way up to the CEO if necessary, with the time and resources necessary to fix these horribly-defective Intel HD 4400 graphics drivers.

Expectation # 5: I should not have to manually install Intel's latest drivers using the "Have Disk..." trick in order to get them to install; the normal "setup.exe" for the Intel drivers should NOT refuse to install the drivers just because Lenovo hasn't gotten off their lazy butts and certified them. Intel should know by now that laptop manufacturers are all awful and negligent when it comes to driver updates, so it should stop trying to force end-users to only use drivers "certified" by the laptop manufacturers.

0 Kudos
EditBear
Beginner

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook (15-AK085NA) which only offers 40Hz and 60Hz on the laptop screen. I like in the UK and want to watch movies at 50Hz or 24Hz. How do I make my internal laptop screen refresh at these rates please?

I agree with KKell7 above, Intel should make these common rates available on all their computers.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Why are you blaming Intel for this? For the embedded display, it is the laptop manufacturer who is responsible for providing its EDID entries. In this case, it is HP who did not provide the appropriate entries for the countries with 50Hz AC.

...S

0 Kudos