Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

Virtual display bug?

KWong21
Beginner

Hello,

I found a probably a bug with the Intel graphics driver,

I could copy the same problem with different NUC type of devices,

including Bay Trail, Cherry Trail and Braswell platforms,

they all have the same problem, when the problem appears, the screen goes black, leaving only the mouse cursor on screen,

if you are lucky enough, you could blind-click into the system, then display could come back but it would be the extended desktop screen,

the primary screen is gone.

1. Display OK at the beginning
  2. Unplug HDMI cable from the system
  3. Now put system to sleep
  4. Plug HDMI cable back to the system (while it's still sleeping)
  5. Now, wake up the system
  6. Problem appears by 100% – a non-exist virtual display – "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" device now appears in device manager/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-434323-308688/nonpnp.jpg
  7. Video output mode being changed to extended desktop automatically: Virtual display + the external display, and virtual display takes over the display priority/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-434323-308689/virtual.jpg
  8. To recover, unplug HDMI and plug it back, display back to normal (Virtual Display – Generic Non-PnP Monitor disappeared), no more extended desktop, and primary display go back to the external display as it should
  9. /servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-434323-308690/novirtual.jpg
0 Kudos
31 Replies
KWong21
Beginner

Broken driver thread? Same driver version?

Creating many non-exist monitors?

Extra, non-existent displays?

Do you think it's just a coincidence? Or something bad is growing bigger?

EstebanC_Intel

0 Kudos
KWong21
Beginner

Black screen, white cursor? Entered the wrong extended desktop mode?

before signing in, can't show the picture?

Again, same driver version?

Come on, Ivan, it's not a coincidence...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I assembled two different Intel® NUCs and I did the steps shown on the first post.
  1. Display OK at the beginning
  2. Unplug HDMI cable from the system
  3. Now put system to sleep
  4. Plug HDMI cable back to the system (while it's still sleeping)
  5. Now, wake up the system

I did not experience this behavior that you're seeing; however we can forward this issue to another group for further investigating.

I did it exactly as you're doing it.

Ivan
0 Kudos
KWong21
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

If you have done it correctly, the virtual monitor must show up,

it's a feature of your graphics driver, it will be turned on when physical monitor doesn't present.

Are you running the latest Windows 10 version and the driver version we reported?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello kenofstephen and Ivan,

We could be looking at other variables that make us see different results. Per example, do you have Hyper-V enabled?.

I'm asking because we are seeing reports from customers using .4501 and .4539 builds that have Hyper-V enabled, and this seems to create a set of non-existing monitors to show up in certain occasions.

Regards,

0 Kudos
KWong21
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

I'm not sure if Braswell N3150 & Cherrytrail X5-Z8300 have the feature you mentioned.

I was told that the virtual monitor feature is for remote access like VNC,

the problem I found is that it's been created and remains there when it shouldn't.

The story is simple:

1.) HDMI removed before sleep -> virtual monitor created (it's not a mistake at this stage)

2.) HDMI being plugged back during sleep -> status doesn't change or no detection during system wake up

(this is where I believe the driver should at least check the existence of a physical monitor when waking up from sleep mode)

3.) Virtual monitor remains and override the "real" monitor, default jumped to extended desktop & virtual monitor is the primary display (this is another bug)

4.) Unplug and plug back the HDMI while system is running -> virtual monitor disappeared, display back to normal.

You may check the pictures I uploaded in my first post to rectify the problems above.

Regards,

Ken

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello again kenofstephen,

Sorry to bother you, but could you try testing with this driver instead?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-N-Series-?product=92135 Download Intel® HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows* 10 64-bit (N-Series)

You may want to disconnect the testing unit from the internet while you install this driver (just to be sure that Windows* Update doesn't override this build).

If you run into error messages while installing the driver, try a manual installation instead: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows...

Please send me the DxDiag.txt and DispDiag.dat files once you managed to replicate the issue while using the aforementioned driver. I'll send you a PM with further instructions on getting the DispDiag.dat file.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
KWong21
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for replying.

Yes you're right, the problem must be copied using Cherrytrail or Braswell platform.

I tried the same on Kabylake platform, no problem at all.

I will try the driver you mentioned and report back soon.

Regards,

Ken

0 Kudos
KWong21
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

Installed it, displayed as:

Driver Date: 7/17/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.15.4526

Windows 10.0 (10240) + this driver = no problem

Windows 1607 (14393) + this driver = not OK = problem I described exists

Please note.

0 Kudos
KWong21
Beginner

I've ran the tests with the driver with problem,

please let me know how to send you those files.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Ken,

I would like to let you know that the following issues show as fixed in our latest 15.40 internal build:

1. Multiple non-existing monitors show up when Hyper-V is enabled.

2. Graphics Control Panel is not available when Hyper-V is enabled.

We appreciate your patience while we post this new driver on DownloadCenter.intel.com.

I'll update the following thread once the driver is officially released:

/thread/110642 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110642

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos