Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20705 Discussions

Virtual memory is @ 100% if i run a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution!

JWese
Beginner

Hey ho,

Two weeks ago i'v re installed my computer. Before one week i re-installed Battlefield 4 and i startet playing. I noticed a error message that told me that there is not enough memory is available. I'v never had this error before. After 2 weeks of testing and finding the problem i noticed that everytime i run a game at another resolution than my desktop resolution my virtual memory is linea filling up to 100%. After it reaches the 100% mark, the Windows Error message shows up and it wants me to close the game that i'm playing. If i run the game at the same resolution than the desktop resolution or in windowed mod this doesnt happen. If i switch back to the desktop, the virtuel memory is will be cleared again.

What i'v already tried:

• Re-installed DirectX
  • Repaire Visual Studio 2013
  • Cleaned and re-installed Nvidia and Intel HD drivers
  • Used a old version of Nvidia drivers
  • Used a old version of Intel HD drivers
  • Re-installed Windows 8 Intel chipset drivers and sata
  • Different amounts of virtual memory
  • Moved the virtual memory from sdd to hdd
  • Checkdisc
  • Re-installed the games
  • Checked memory usage and programms
  • De-installed Avira AntiVir
  • Re-installed Windows 8.1

My system

• Intel i7-3610QM
  • 8,00 GB - 1600MHz
  • 120 GB SSD
  • 1 TB HDD
  • Nvidia Geforce GT650M - 2 G
  • Intel HD 4000 - 256 MB
  • Asus N76VZ Notebook
  • Virtual memory on SSD 8 GB to 16 GB
  • Windows 8.1 64x
  • Avira AntiVir
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Here is the latest forum post from Microsoft* regarding this issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/error-when-running-games-your-computer-is-low-on/eb9ea944-bc56-435a-b89f-f7752d11a091 Error when running games: "Your computer is low on memory. - Microsoft Community

Per Jonas:

Solution:

1. Right-click the start orb, and open 'Control Panel'
  2. Open 'Windows Update' and check for new 'Windows Updates'.
  3. If there are no new 'Windows Updates', verify that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us 'August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2975719)' is installed by clicking on 'View Update History'.

The actual Windows Update or hotfix that fixes this bug is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us KB2976943.

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
94 Replies
DAchu
Beginner

Am still experiencing the same issue even after that update.

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

OK, the problem recurred for me now (despite my optimistic comment above). But it seems to take significantly longer to occur, consistent with what tprodigy2 wrote.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I totally understand your frustration and I know I would feel the same if I were affected. At this point we know it is something caused by a Microsoft update but as you say we do not need to be pointing fingers therefore we have been working on this and soon we will release a driver.

We know this is also happening on systems with dedicated video cards so it is not an Intel® driver issue but we are trying to figure it out and provide the solution.

Sorry for the inconvenience again.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
GSqui
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. However, it's quite ambiguous. Why? Because you're saying the problem is caused by a Microsoft update; hence why releasing a new driver? Again, thank you.

0 Kudos
JHend10
Beginner

kevin_intel, could you specify which update exactly is causing the memory leak?

0 Kudos
JHend10
Beginner

Thank you for your answer kevin_intel! I made an article for Lenovo's Community over here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1-Knowledge-Base/Windows-8-1-Memory-leak-with-Intel-HD-Graphics-on-certain/ta-p/1590274 http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1-Knowledge-Base/Windows-8-1-Memory-leak-with-Intel-HD-Graphics-on-certain/ta-p/1590274

Included every workaround I found in the past few months on this bug. Hope it helps some other people in this thread while everyone is waiting.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the information. It will be very helpful for other users facing the problem. Even tough is not a solution, is a valid workaround.

0 Kudos
jorti6
Beginner

Please, for the love of god, fix memory leak when playing full screen games at different resolution in windows 8.1. Thank you.

PD: I dont care if its a microsoft bug or a intel driver bug. Really! i dont care. Microsoft and Intel have been in very good partnership for years! You develop softwares and hardwares for each other! Why don`t you solve this problem in cooperation???

Please please please. Fix this ASAP.

0 Kudos
RHoga3
Beginner

Has anyone tried running apps in "Compatibility Mode for Windows 7" ? I can't remember where I read it but that seemed to help some people, either way I really hope there is a fix soon - It's a pretty bad bug!

0 Kudos
JHend10
Beginner

Solution:

1. Righ-click the start orb, and open 'Control Panel'
  2. Open 'Windows Update' and check for new 'Windows Updates'.
  3. If there are no new 'Windows Updates', verify that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us 'August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB2975719)' is installed by clicking on 'View Update History'.

The actual Windows Update or hotfix that fixes this bug is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943/en-us KB2976943.

To the moderators: this topic can now be marked as solved and answered.

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

Alas, not so. The bug seems to take longer to recur for me after this update, but definitely did recur: system commit spiked from ~30% to 95+% and stayed there. This is after I installed KB2975719 and the accompanying updates, rebooted, and confirmed that Windows Update shows no further updates. If there are specific reasons you thought this update fixed the problem, can you share them?

0 Kudos
JHend10
Beginner

Have you also tried the hotfix I listed?

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

No. I read your mail to say that getting the latest Windows updates including KB2975719 was sufficient. I'm sure others read it that way too. Are you saying we need to go through the "hotfix request" process for KB2976943, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976943 "Out of memory" error message when you run a DirectX 11 game in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2? I'll try that now...

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

I submitted the request and Windows emailed me a zipped file, Windows8.1-KB2976943-x64.msu. Double-clicking it gives an immediate installer error: "The update is not applicable to your computer." I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1 on a (recent) Acer Aspire S7-392 laptop. I'm not a gamer but it's been crashing out of memory every couple days since I upgraded to 8.1. I seem to be able to avoid crashes by being careful to never maximize a window, though as you can imagine that gets tedious.

So no, moderator, please don't close this thread...

0 Kudos
JHend10
Beginner

Press 'Windows Key + I', click power button icon, make sure it does not say 'Restart and update' to make sure the update is applied.

But I can say for sure the bug is gone on my Lenovo ThinkPad W530 and ThinkPad Helix. People at Microsoft's community report the same.

How large is your page file and RAM?

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

I can confirm that it does not say restart and update. Also clicking "check for updates" in Windows Update gives "no updates are available".

I have a 19GB page file and 8GB RAM. The behavior is discontinuous and most evident in procexp's "system commit" (aka taskmgr's "memory committed"): normally it runs around 5GB out of 27GB, then when the bug manifests it quickly rises to ~26GB and apps run out of memory. I've never seen my system commit rise above 50% apart from this bug.

Of course I could be experiencing a different bug related to 8.1, though that seems like quite a coincidence - lots of people on boards like this have described behavior just like I describe. It would be useful to hear from anyone else who has fully updated in Windows Update and rebooted, whether they still see the problem that brought them here, and whether it matches mine (maxed-out system commit, not maximizing windows helps, etc).

0 Kudos
MAeth
Beginner

GIGABYTE P2742 laptop.

Intel HD 4000 with GTX660M on Optimus with native 1080p res.

Windows 8.1 Pro.

I've been having the same issue.

If I match the in-game resolution to the desktop resolution I didnt get the 'out of memory' error, used 'procexp' to check for 'system commit'.

I noticed the memory leak with Watch_Dogs, FarCry3, NFSUG2 (specially this is where I noticed that, since NFSUG2 dont have HD res) when I have mismatching resolutions.

I tried running Windows 8 drivers for iGPU which worked okay system wide, till Skype started to crash on me on that driver. So, updated the drivers to the latest, didnt run games on anything other than the desktop/native resolution and waited.

Noticed Jonas_Hendrickx 's post (thanks for the hotfix btw), downloaded the hotfix (KB2976943), tried running it and it gave me.. "this update is not applicable.. ". Yes, I had the prerequisite update(s)(KB2919355) installed but, I did get some update installing problems while installing the 'Windows 8.1 Update 1' way back even though I managed to install 'Update 1'. The system has been working fine since and Windows didnt have any new updates for me when I was trying to install the hotfix. So, I thought there could be something wrong with the 'Windows 8.1 Update 1' that I have since the hotfix wouldnt install.

Downloaded 'en-gb_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4048142.iso' and re-installed Windows 8.1 Pro (so, it will have the 'KB2919355' / 'Windows 8.1 Update 1' installed with it properly.)

After the fresh OS with the Update, the hotfix did install. Installed latest VGA drivers for both GPUs, tired mismatching ingame resolution to the desktop resolution in, Watch_Dogs and Skyrim and didnt notice any memory leak.

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

testrun (and Jonas_Hendrickx), thanks, sounds like KB2976943 is indeed the key here. testrun, how did you get Windows to reapply that 8.1 update? I tried reinstalling http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=42335 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=42335 but Windows said the updates were already installed, except KB2976943 which it again said was "not applicable to your computer". More forceful options listed by http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc include a "refresh", which will keep my files but I think lose most programs I've installed, or a "reset" which will wipe everything. Did you find a less intrusive way to reapply the update? I'd hate to do a refresh that forces me to reinstall all my programs, but I will if it's the only way to fix this terrible bug.

Btw, I don't remember originally seeing any "update installing problems" from that update as you describe, though I suppose it's conceivable I missed something.

0 Kudos
MAeth
Beginner

When the hotfix (KB2976943) gave me "this update is not applicable.. " I also tired to manually install the KB2919355 but as expected, it didnt let me since I already had it in the system.. then I thought of uninstalling all the Windows updates and tying again. But, some updates wouldnt uninstall and it was really cumbersome.

So rather than trying to mess with the system, I decided to completely re-install Windows 8.1 Pro from a .iso with the Update 1 built into it. (en-gb_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4048142.iso - notice that this Windows image comes with the April update, KB2919355) Microsoft release these .iso s bundled with updates after major updates. Thats the path I went with.

This bug was annoying enough for me as well, that I would gladly re-install the system to get the hotfix running.

Am not sure whether the "refresh, reset, or restore your PC" will help. I fully re-installed Windows 8.1, so.. basically the same thing, I guess.

But, am positive that you have to have the prerequisite updates installed properly if you are to get the hotfix to install. And "this update is not applicable.. " is because of a problem in the prerequisites to the hotfix.

IMO : get a clean Windows 8.1 installed -> Disable Secure Boot (helps with some update problems) -> Install KB2919355 and the only the updates necessary for KB2919355 -> This stage is where I came to after installing Windows from that .iso. So, at this point you should be able to get the hotfix to install.

0 Kudos
JElio
Beginner

testrun, thanks very much for the details.

I think before trying that I'm going to wait a little longer in the hope that Microsoft will release a less hazardous fix procedure. Frankly, given the severity of the bug, the number of people affected, and how long it's been a problem, if the procedure you described is the best Microsoft can deliver to customers, then someone needs to be fired.

0 Kudos