Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20788 Discussions

WDM.exe crashes during and after updating Intel Graphics HD 4000 drivers (to Version 9.18.10.3071)

idata
Employee

Well...i found a curious behaviour when i update my Intel graphics 4000 on my notebook. I'll list my setup:

- Manufacturer: ASUS N46VM (R401V for Latin America)

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3210m

- GPU: Intel HD 4000 + nvidia GT3630m (Intel as main GPU)

- RAM: 8GB

- Wireless: (Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230)

-Drivers version: Intel HD 4000 15.28.12.64.2932(9.17.10.2932) [Before installing new troublesome driver] + Nvidia 314.22 (Current)

Well...the thing is that today i decided to take a look for updates for my Intel components via Intel Driver Update Utility. I found Updates for the GPU (Version 9.18.10.3071) and Wireless networking , i downloaded them and proceed to update. Wireless Connections installation were successful. Then i proceed to install the Intel HD drivers. Everything goes apparently normal but before finishing, the screen goes black for a while, then cursor appears and everything goess back normally, except the Aero functionality...it has gone and an error window appears, saying the following:

Translation: Desktop Window Manager stopped working...Windows is searching a solution for the problem.

and This:

Translation: Desktop Window Manager stopped working and closed.

A problem caused the application stopped working. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

I thought that was normal...so i decided to restart my computer...well...it started slower, took some time to appear the desktop and the problem appeared, popping up the second window error.

I was curious, i went to the Event viewer and i find some error logs related to DWM.exe...this is the latest report (copied from "details" tab and "descriptive" format, since "general" tab shows everything in localized language...in my case, Spanish)

-System

-Provider[ Name]Application Error

-EventID1000

[ Qualifiers]0</tbody...
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jjans7
Beginner

Exactly the same issue is being reported in this thread:

Besides you and me there has been one other person reporting this error. Unfortunately the problem has not been solved, yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jjans7
Beginner

Exactly the same issue is being reported in this thread:

Besides you and me there has been one other person reporting this error. Unfortunately the problem has not been solved, yet.

0 Kudos
Marcos_U_Intel
Employee

When you have switchable graphics, you must only use the graphics drivers provided by your system manufacturer (Asus*).

For more information regarding switchable graphics go to the following URL:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Objection: Since the manufacturer's drivers have been pretty outdated, i've being using Intel's and nvidia drivers independently. They have been working flawlessly until this version i'm complaining about (Intel Side)...Tell that to an Intel+AMD switchable graphics solutions users, which their drivers are really dependant each other to work (only the OEM drivers make them to work together).

0 Kudos
Marcos_U_Intel
Employee

Our generic graphics drivers are build to work only with the Intel graphics controller alone, since you have a third party video card install in your system then you must the motherboard manufacturer graphics drivers, so it is possible the generic driver you are using from the Intel(R) site is giving you the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please stop saying the same stuff...i know what am i doing...i've BEEN USING the Intel(R) "Generic" version and Nvidia version long time ago...they'd been working FLAWLESSLY, WITHOUT COMPLAINS until THIS version...I've marked Dodger's reply as "Right Answer" 'cause the link he(or she) gave me was useful and it's keeping me updated with new users comments. Please don't reply this back (or better lock the thread). Note that i'm not the only one who's suffering this issue and Technical support from the Graphics Documentation section replied that they're studying the situation and looking for a solution.

0 Kudos