Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20784 Discussions

We have a problem on Windows whereby when you enumerate the pixel formats, that the number of pixel formats returned depends upon the specifics of how the hDC was created. For example,

EYoun3
Beginner

We have a problem on Windows where when you enumerate pixel formats, that the number and type of pixel formats returned depends on how the hDC was created which was passed in. For example, if I use this:

hCDC = CreateDC( "DISPLAY", "", "", NULL );

I will get 36 pixel formats in the enumeration. But if I use this:

hCDC = GetDC(NULL);

I instead get 51 pixel formats returned. If I create an hWnd and then pass that in to GetDC(), I also get 51 pixel formats.

This problem seems to be specific to Intel HD Graphics. My laptop has the 3000, and I updated to the latest drivers from Dell.

If I enumerate pixel formats on machines with any other video card, I get the same number of pixel formats returned. And if I switch the laptop over to use the nVidia graphics processor, I also get the same number of pixel formats.

I am attaching a test program that I can run to demonstrate the issue.

Can anyone explain why it is that there is this difference?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Per our investigation below, we're not seeing the failure with the latest driver. Have you tested this recently? I'll mark this resolved until you confirm otherwise. Thanks.

Ran with the latest driver code on HSW - both GetDC and CreateDC return 36 pixel formats when running the attached application.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Eric

Our OGL has looked at this issue and are currently investigating why it occurs. Please watch this thread for updates.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Per our investigation below, we're not seeing the failure with the latest driver. Have you tested this recently? I'll mark this resolved until you confirm otherwise. Thanks.

Ran with the latest driver code on HSW - both GetDC and CreateDC return 36 pixel formats when running the attached application.

0 Kudos