Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Why can I not play Minecraft with HD 4600 graphics?

ERuss2
Beginner

My GTX 670 broke recently, so I am using my the HD 4600 graphics on my i5 4670 to play games, but Minecraft does not work. The error message is:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----

// This is a token for 1 free hug. Redeem at your nearest Mojangsta: [~~HUG~~]

Time: 16/11/13 20:13

Description: Initializing game

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:244)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:306)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:848)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)

at azd.Z(SourceFile:367)

at azd.e(SourceFile:689)

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:103)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --

Stacktrace:

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:244)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:306)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:848)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)

at azd.Z(SourceFile:367)

-- Initialization --

Details:

Stacktrace:

at azd.e(SourceFile:689)

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:103)

-- System Details --

Details:

Minecraft Version: 1.7.2

Operating System: Windows 7 (amd64) version 6.1

Java Version: 1.7.0_40, Oracle Corporation

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation

Memory: 101250856 bytes (96 MB) / 126877696 bytes (121 MB) up to 954728448 bytes (910 MB)

JVM Flags: 2 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xmx1G

AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0

Launched Version: 1.7.2

LWJGL: 2.9.0

OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current thread.

Is Modded: Probably not. Jar signature remains and client brand is untouched.

Type: Client (map_client.txt)

Resource Packs: []

Current Language: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

Anisotropic Filtering: Off (1)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I have updated my drivers and have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it.... please help me?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello MexicanPombear,

Can you please tell us when are you getting this error message? Is it when playing or logging in? Can you also post your dxdiag report here?

0 Kudos
ERuss2
Beginner

Kevin,

I get the error during the startup, so I see the Mojang logo pop up, then the error appears. I'll attach the dxdiag report as a .txt below this comment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi MexicanPombear,

Thanks for the information. I see you already tested a driver version but we have come up with a newer driver version. You can download it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

Also, it is important to install a bios update in your computer and installing the drivers from the computer manufacturer side. Have you tried a game patch? Have you tried the game in a different controller such as HD 3000/4000?

0 Kudos
JKnig4
Beginner

I can't guarantee that this solution comes without consequence, but I had the same problem and just fixed it (literally 20 minutes ago). I went https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors here and searched with these criteria:

• Type: Drivers
  • For: Windows 10 (64 bit)

Then I clicked on the latest release, and downloaded the .exe version.

When I ran the exe, it allowed me to install drivers for my hardware, and then prompted me to restart. I did, I reconfigured my display settings to my preferences, and then tested Minecraft to confirm that it worked (and it does, at least for the 5 minutes I had it running).

As a warning, I run an Acer Aspire TC-405, Windows 10 (64 bit). I can't predict what will happen if you try, and I also don't know what's going to happen to my PC now that I forced a driver update when the automatic driver updaters from Microsoft, Intel, and Acer didn't recommend or even detect it. But for the moment that doesn't matter to me, because I've got minecrafts to minecraft!

I was happy to see that someone else had my problem, so I created an Intel Community profile just to share this with you, so I hope my advice doesn't end up destroying your computer...

0 Kudos