Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20677 Discussions

Win8 CP, GMA 3600 Drivers crashing under metro

idata
Employee

Hi Guys,

I am using a toshiba WT200 that has an intel GMA3600 video chipset. When you launch metro apps, the sys file from the driver causes a BSOD. I have tried this microsoft OLE fix, but to no avail (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/b0e4f9a3-4c96-4e6f-9399-71fc5813853c Metro apps won&# 39;t start under consumer preview of Windows 8 )

Is there a beta driver suitable for this device coming, that will alleviate this issue?

Thanks, Chris

242 Replies
idata
Employee

lucsp, when you said Win 8 Pro works well with the modified clover trail gpu driver, do you mean you can set correct resolution without issue?

how about movie decoding? do you get hardware acceleration?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes I have optimal resolution 1366x768 , programs open very fast better than win 7 driver,

Metro apps crash, only IExploere sometimes works. Winsat is activated ,I do not

play movie I ll try soon, I think hardaware acceleration is on , I used intel disply panel from win 7 driver , cause the win 8's one do not start.

PS It is mandatory to install driver win 8 this one:

(command prompt as admin)

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

install by setup the patched driver, then if asked reboot

( do not reboot before installing win 8 driver)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi it is usefull to check for next future this site:

http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NF9C.html Jetway NF9C Series :: JNF9C-2600 / 2800 :: Intel NM10 chipset :: Atom Dual Core N2600 / N2800 (Cedarview-M) :: Mini-ITX Motherboard

they wrote :Due to Intel's limitation, this board can only support Windows 7 32-bit at this moment.

What does it mean ? Is there any hope they could manage the problem in the future? 

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello everyone ... I have a asus 1225c windows 8 x64 atom 2600 intel gma 3600 for my misfortune as a graphics card ... I tried to edit the inf file of the driver as I read here in the guide but I could not run the driver ... someone has managed to do something with this pc?

ps sorry for my bad English

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey guys sorry for my english but I'm italian!!!

You are fantastic and every day i read your news!!!

Today i writed because i noticed that the metro app (change settings pc) at the under-right works on my gma 3600 with resolution of 1024x600!!! It possible to change the preferences of this metro app with the other???

THANK YOU

Here the screenshots:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

lello_01

are you running the Intel Driver or the default Microsoft generic driver?

Given your resolution (1024x600), I am guessing you are on Microsoft generic driver which means you will be stuck at the resolution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

NO! I have an asus x101ch and i installed the driver for Windows 7 that is on the website

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When i use the basic driver my best resolution is 800x600

It can be good my idea???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

okay, the specs says it is 1024x600. i am not very sure what you want to ask.

you want to change resolution to another size?

Have you try the "App Store", does it work?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK sorry for my english

I have a notebook asus with windows 8

the driver of my gma 3600 is for windows 7 and my resolution on external monitor is 1024x1024

now when i open a metro app my pc restart and don t open the app

but when i used (windows developer preview) the apps worked.

it possible to mod the metro app of windows 8 pro to work ???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

got it.

That's what we are all trying to do here. lucsp seems to have some success with Clover Trail driver but no one else seems to be able to reproduce his results. He said the MetroApp still crashes but the driver seems to be better. Perhaps you can start testing with that? You can find his posts starting pg 6

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why the MERTO Apps doesn't work with those driver while the normal applications works very well? That's really confuse me. What makes Metro app so special ? If we can make that clear, probably we can figure out how to make those driver work correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have been thinking about that too.

My guess is that:

Metro App is designed to run across the platform and have very specific gpu hardware acceleration requirement. Perhaps something has to do with HTML5's HW requirement as it needs to run across platform. OTOH Normal X86 Application often can be ran completely on CPU. I also have a KUPA X11 Oak Trail GMA 600 based tablet that also has Win 8 driver issue. The problem is less severe there than GMA 3600 as Metro app would run but very slow due to lack of HW acceleration. Couples things show that are something amiss with the driver and why Metro really need HW accleration

1) video can not be played correctly in Metro Video app but will run fine in Media Player with HW decoding

2) Metro IE App would be unusable unless HW acceleration is turned off

3) GPU-Z reporting very minimal OpenGL support (no 2.0) in Win 8 when exactly the same driver in Win 7 shows OpenGl 2.0 support (2.1 actully)

so there, that is my guesseitmated answer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Regarding the Metro Apps crash people are having.

First, the desktop must be 1024x768 minimum resolution for Metro Apps. Secondly, I'm not sure, but it looks like something rather specific is broken in the GMA 3600 drivers, not just a missing feature, but a true driver bug. I have a GMA 600 and thought I was shafted since the drivers just suck and many simple Metro Apps crash (Minesweeper, various star charts, etc.) though all of the built in Microsoft apps work fine.

Graphics drivers are just about the only drivers still allowed to hook at the SYSTEM kernel level, and as such are responsible for probably more than 70% of BSOD type crashes by most expert estimates. Most of the rest are poorly written anti-virus and a small portion are genuine hardware or software conflicts otherwise. Under Windows 8 though, a new BSOD source has cropped up from the new dynamic tick system combined with a superior sleep system. Some hardware just cannot handle the variable length kernel clock ticks now in use.

Originally, Microsoft was going to require Directx 10 for WDDM 1.2 (Windows 😎 drivers. DirectX, OpenGL, H.264 and DXVA are all heavily used for rendering Metro Apps, especially DirectX (many Apps ported from Android / iOS probably use all OpenGL though). Microsoft found that there were too many legacy Direct 9 GPU hardware, mostly integrated Intel chipsets as well as a smaller number of embedded style laptop nVidia and ATi GPUs which in hardware could never run DirectX 10. As such they relaxed the standard for WDDM 1.2 drivers to DirectX 9. Microsoft also added an additional subset of software rendering in order to blend CPU and GPU rendering, especially on DirectX 9 hardware. On many GMA devices, this can be seen in IE 10 where the scrolling is completely smooth on hardware which won't scroll smoothly under Windows 7 under any browser, much less the Explorer file browser (by the same token, the CPU hit for the scrolling is~40-60%).

The new Windows 8 display subsystem will also optimize for performance. If there is a graphics function available via the GPU and its drivers but also within their software rendering engine, the OS will check and use the method which provides a higher frame rate. This also happens a lot with Metro Apps on GMA platforms, as certain graphics calls are supported, but so poorly implemented as to be faster on CPU. Desktop Apps though mostly use the Windows 7 style subsystem, as much of the performance monitoring is part of WinRT libraries. Windows 8 will also kick to CPU rendering for effects which are detected to cause graphical corruption when GPU rendered. In my case, this means no more transparency flickering in the desktop, despite the fact that I am using the same Windows 7 drivers. Again, transparency and texture flickering is a well documented problem on ALL PowerVR SGX based Intel products, just plain bad drivers.

I'm not sure how close the GMA 600 and 3600 GPUs are, from some sources they appear to be nearly identical cores at different clock speeds and with possibly more rendering units (cores) in the 3600. If this is the case, I would suggest trying to swap some of the DLL files from a E6xx or Z6xx (both GMA 600) graphics driver. I would look mainly at swapping igdumd32.dll, igdogl32.dll, igdsgl32.dll. Do not swap any *.SYS files as these are the Kernel Mode drivers, and each GMA platform has slightly different clocking and memory bus specifications those files are likely to control. Keep in mind that you will need to force an unsigned driver install and that the modifications I am suggesting to experiment with should be expected cause crashing and data loss. Have a backup ready.

I might try to take a look next week when I am back home at the DLL entry points and calls to see if between the IEGD, EMGD, GMA 500, 600, E6xx, and 3600 drivers I can get a better picture of wtf Intel has going on. Many files are identical, some are added and others missing. Similarly, the EMGD drivers for GMA 500 parts are the most stable I have run across (they are for embedded machines) and produce better Aero scores in Windows 7 on a GMA 500 than the best drivers I have found for the GMA 600 despite a 200 vs 400 MHz clock difference (Win 7 WEI Aero Desktop of 4.6 on EMGD / GMA 500 vs 3.8 or so on GMA 600). Similarly, I have found the EMGD drivers to have more OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 10 function calls supported. Frankly, I suspect the EMGD drivers are more heavily based on PowerVR reference drivers and regular GMA drivers to be some kind of hobbled edition even on Vista / 7.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aaron,

Here is EMGD for Intel N2000/D2000 processor 1.15

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=21902 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=21902

dated 9/25/12.

While it is meant for embedded system with XP and Emedded 7, it does have more tools/codes for use. I think one version of GMA 500 (The original PowerVR GPU that damned all atoms) open source linux driver was reverse engineered from I/EMGD drivers.

speaking of GMA 500, i found this blog called gma500booster

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=21902 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=21902

This guy has been dedicating his time for improving GMA 500 drivers even up to very recently. He too is struggling with with lack of OpenGL in Windows 8.

let's pull some resources together guys. This is obviously an issue for many GMA owners that share a very similar PowerVR core. The original GMA 500 was such infamous night mare that there have been at 4 versions of linux drivers that I know open. Ubuntu itself dedicated a page on its website for GMA (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo) Those guys put in a lot of work to make it work and I read the new Ubuntu can now finally install out of box. I read somewhere GMA 3600 using GMA 500's open source driver in 12.10. So maybe there are resources we can use too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi guys, have been reading this thread for a long time, because I am experiencing the very same problems with my Atom 2600, GMA 3600-powered netbook. Though I am extremely satisfied with the boot speed and overall snappiness of Windows 8 on my system, I am very disappointed by the lack of compatibility of the graphic card driver under the metro UI. Currently I am using only "legacy" programs under the traditional desktop environment.

Of course, I don't want to discuss MS's policy (the 1024*768 requisite to run metro apps), but I think it's been a move to kill the netbook market once and for all and to pursue the more lucrative tablet and ultrabook universes.

My girlfriend's netbook, an Atom N470/GMA3150 powered machine, runs windows 8 perfectly, even under the Metro UI, thanks to a little hack that allows the screen downscaling.

I tried the same hack on my PC, and even though I am able to downscale and set the screen resolution to the 1024*768 value, when I try to run any windows 8 app in Metro mode, all I get is a black screen and the rebooting of the machine. I am really fed up with the lack of support by both Intel - who doesn't seem to bother and release at least a win8 compatible driver - and Microsoft, who of course could always come and tell "we had warned you already about the minimum system requirements of our OS, so it's your fault 'cuz you didn't buy a tablet or an ultrabook".

I reckon this is more of a rant rather than a real, helpful post, but not being an advanced user myself, I rely on you guys for some help and support, so that we finally can have an useful machine running this new OS.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI, I have exactly the same problem.

But intel does not respond....

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

cartridge wrote:

But intel does not respond....

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Below

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

A little preview here on the Clover Trail performance :-

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Clovertrail-Atom-Z2760-Windows-8-Tablet-Performance-Preview/ http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Clovertrail-Atom-Z2760-Windows-8-Tablet-Performance-Preview/

Unfortunately, thus far we've been met by errors and crashing with both PCMark Vantage and 3DMark Vantage as well. Additionally, 3DMark 11 won't run on the Atom Z2760 because it's PowerVR graphics core is only DX10.1 compatible. We're hoping to dig in further here shortly, and offer you more performance data, especially as it pertains to the multimedia and graphics performance of Clover Trail.

As expected the drivers seem a little lacklustre, but they suggest they support D3D10.1 this time on the SGX 545 and obviously Metro (*cough* Modern UI) apps work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank You Aaron!

Intel is so

ridiculous!!
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

are you saying Intel dropped the balls again on PowerVR related graphic driver?

shocking!

0 Kudos