Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20657 Discussions

Win8 CP, GMA 3600 Drivers crashing under metro

idata
Employee

Hi Guys,

I am using a toshiba WT200 that has an intel GMA3600 video chipset. When you launch metro apps, the sys file from the driver causes a BSOD. I have tried this microsoft OLE fix, but to no avail (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/b0e4f9a3-4c96-4e6f-9399-71fc5813853c Metro apps won&# 39;t start under consumer preview of Windows 8 )

Is there a beta driver suitable for this device coming, that will alleviate this issue?

Thanks, Chris

242 Replies
idata
Employee

Looks like the middle finger Mr. Linus gave to Intel when asked about Intel Graphic Card driver support Linux moved things a little bit. Perhaps we could get Gates and Ballmer do a double middle fingers to Intel and see what gives.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Actually just tested the 8.14.8.1082's myself (had to mod the .inf a little to get them to install), but they don't solve anything under Win8 yet unfortunately, Metro apps still won't run etc.

They did however solve some OpenGL regressions though which had been broken since 8.14.8.1065, so small steps in the right direction again...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks for the update PA. Everywhere I see threads on GMA frustration, I see your name.

since it is dated 6/25. i guess we still pin our unsubstantiated hope on the rumored Aug release? If hope is the most powerful narcotic as someone once said, then Intel is turning its ATOM customers into drug addicts.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

TechFans2012 wrote:

thanks for the update PA. Everywhere I see threads on GMA frustration, I see your name.

Haha, no problem.

As a Cedar Trail (Trial?) user, it's difficult not to voice certain frustrations and experiences with it. I'm just looking for solutions and updates like anyone else to get a decent usable level of performance out of it that is at least comparable other low power x86 platforms.

Because Intel has released it in the state that it has been, it's no surprise that this thread has over 3000 views, and the Linux thread over 11000!, there is a lot of people in the same situation, and we need to keep calm but firm pressure onto Intel and their hardware partners in the hope that it'll get the support it deserves.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Guys,

+1 to PA for his info through here.

Unfortunately I havent had any luck with my vendor or Intel through my official channels. The only information I have is that a "solution is being developed" with no further information on release dates or driver details. August has been mentioned in conversations but it's no more than hearsay and conjecture.

I have removed the cedar trail devices from the Windows 8 trial I am doing as I don't have a choice.

Sorry guys, with I had further information.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

warped_foobie wrote:

Unfortunately I havent had any luck with my vendor or Intel through my official channels. The only information I have is that a "solution is being developed" with no further information on release dates or driver details. August has been mentioned in conversations but it's no more than hearsay and conjecture.

I have removed the cedar trail devices from the Windows 8 trial I am doing as I don't have a choice.

Sorry guys, with I had further information.

Cheers.

Cheers too warped!

But yep, I'm going to wait until Win8 RTM is out, if Cedar Trail isn't working by then I'll ditch it too, and will recommend others to do the same. But you never know..., miracles could happen, though I'm not holding my breath too much!

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Still waiting for Windows 8 drivers!

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

1,Metro still crashing

2,Flash performance still horrible(full screen 1080p)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am all about hopes and all guys. And I heard a similar comment from Intel engineer about Aug (or late summer) GMA 3600 driver in his words. However, they have been saying the same thing about 64bit driver (I only seen a bad beta from 2011) and XP driver since beginning of the year. I have also heard that the Cedar Trail team has been disbanded since Valley view (the supposed successor of Cedar Trail) is in heavy development and many guys are transferred to beef up that team. What to believe? know I don't believe in Intel any more.

Given Intel's dismal graphic driver support and always late release, Microsoft would be foolhardy to count on Intel for the initial phase of Windows 8. Think about it: by the end of the year, Ivy bridge is really the only processor that is W8 ready. But Ivy bridge is not the ideal tablet processor, both for power consumption and cost. Clover Trail coming out on time would be end of year (not bloody likely) and it is runs that good old PowerVR 5 series that gives many Atom such bad rep (GMA 500, 600, 3600 3650). Cedartrail would be a nice low power alternative for tablet that Windows 8 is targeting but hey where is Carmen SanDiego, I mean driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Don't dismiss it just yet techfans. I work in the industry and have close ties to manufacturers, hence the WT200 before it was officially released.

Support is coming for this chipset and should be in the next few weeks. Toshiba, Lenovo and a number of other manufacturers are working with intel on the drivers at the moment - this I know for a fact. I am hoping to get a copy of these drivers by mid july to test with.

as an example, I actually got a copy of beta drivers from ericsson for the H5321 wireless wan adapter. My device has this built in and the driver ericssson supplied are a newer version, and work with the builtin wwan controls within windows 8. Don't just dismiss the "no news" as "intel aren't doing anything". I know they are - it's just a matter of when they will announce it officially. I believe these drivers will actually come before those for XP are announced

Poor effort on intel's part for not announcing anything though, considering this is an intel community where this news should be announced. I was hoping for a response from intel on here a couple of weeks ago and it sucks I have had to make the effort and annoy people through my official channels to get this information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please, join the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gma600/ Windows 8 support for Intel Atom Tablets

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@warped_foobie

do you, or anyone else know if there will also be a new GMA 600 Windows 8 driver?

I remember back in the Vista times, that there was a relative new GMA Chipset on Notebooks, which technically could run aero, but Intel also didn't provide new drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

They cant even make Win7 work OK and you're wanting Win8?....better not hope for anything before Christmas...

idata
Employee

Any updates, guys. Especially warped_foobie? Please share us what you hear from OEM as those of us who invested own and company resources on this chip are desperate for new drivers.

Good jobs Q550. Keep the pressure on the Intel. A quick search of GMA 500, 600 and GMA 3600 and driver discussion on Google is like an AMD advertisement.

Are you listening Intel?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have installed windows 8 x64, it´s running but not 3d performance with generic windows driver. If is not running on x86 because METRO fails, and cannot fix with the x64 drivers, what can we do on windows 8? Is there a new driver coming for x64 or x86? There are a lot of new devices with this GMA 3600, on the market and they will have the same problem on October.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yep, just tell us you are working on this!(or release the beta driver would be the best)

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

José María Rabadán wrote:

There are a lot of new devices with this GMA 3600, on the market and they will have the same problem on October.

It's not even that long for some, MSDN subscribers get it tomorrow

If there are no 'in-the-box' built-in drivers, then it probably means bad news.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

They had released the last version 6 days ago. I think Intel are still working on these devices, there is now sense to dont release unless the x86 drivers running under W8. Fujitsu, ASUS, Samsung, etc.. had devices with this GMA 3600 and they are still selling them.

Asus Eee PC R052C-WHI002S: Intel Atom N2800, 10.1", 1.3 kg

Test " Test Asus Eee PC R052C-WHI002S Netbook

Asus Eee PC 1025C-GRY021S: Intel Atom N2800, 10.1", 1.1 kg

Externer Test " Asus Eee PC 1025C-GRY021S

Asus Eee PC 1025C-GRY0235: Intel Atom N2800, 10.1", 1.1 kg

Externer Test " Asus Eee PC 1025C-GRY0235

Asus Eee PC 1025C-MU17-BK: Intel Atom N2600, 10.1", 1.1 kg

Externer Test " Asus Eee PC 1025C-MU17-BK

Asus Eee PC 1025C-WHI050S: Intel Atom N2800, 10.1", 1.3 kg

Externer Test " Asus Eee PC 1025C-WHI050S

Asus Eee PC 1025CE: Intel Atom N2800, 10.1", 1.1 kg

Externer Test " Asus Eee PC 1025CE

Asus Eee PC 1225C: Intel Atom N2800, 11.6", 1.5 kg

Externer Test " Asus Eee PC 1225C

HP Mini 210-4122EF: Intel Atom N2800, 10.1", 1.3 kg

Externer Test " HP Mini 210-4122EF

Medion Akoya E1230 (MD98722): Intel Atom N2600, 10.1", 1.1 kg

Externer Test " Medion Akoya E1230 (MD98722)

MSI Wind U180: Intel Atom N2800, 10.1", 1.2 kg

Externer Test " MSI Wind U180

MSI Wind U180-003PL: Intel Atom N2600, 10.0", 1 kg

Externer Test " MSI Wind U180-003PL

Toshiba NB510-10D: Intel Atom N2600, 10.1", 1.4 kg

Externer Test " Toshiba NB510-10D

Toshiba NB510-119: Intel Atom N2600, 10.1", 1.4 kg

Externer Test " Toshiba NB510-119

Toshiba NB520-11P: Intel Atom N2600, 10.1", 1.3 kg

Externer Test " Toshiba NB520-11P

El mensaje fue editado por: José María Rabadán

0 Kudos