Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20671 Discussions

Windows 7 drivers/support for 82801ER RAID controller

idata
Employee

I have a problem either doing a clean(custom install) or upgrade of Windows 7 on a Vista SP2 machine. I get the message:

<!-- $(document).ready(function() { $("# forumsSearch # searchTerm").watermark("Search Install, upgrade and activate Forum"); $("# btnSubmit").attr("disabled", "disabled"); $("a# searchRefinements").show(); $("# forumsSearch").submit(function() { var strippedVal = $("# forumsSearch # searchTerm").watermarkVal().replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,""); return (strippedVal.length > 0) }); $("# forumsSearch ul.popup a").click(function() { $("# forumsSearch # scopeType").val($(this).attr("scopeType")); $("# forumsSearch # scopeData").val($(this).attr("scopeData")); $("# forumsSearch").submit(); return false; }); }); // -->

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

It appears from searching Microsoft's forums that the problem is no support for my RAID controller even if the most current driver is installed as described in this thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/b8b5d971-c19c-42d6-9d40-d28508247e6b

My PC is a 5 and a half year old Dell Dimension XPS Gen2 (Dell mother board Model 0U2424) and Intel chipset i875P with a 82801ER SATA RAID controller and a Dell Bios version A03. It has a 3.2Ghz P-4 CPU and 4Gigs of RAM and performs VERY well for a machine this old.

Is there any hope of finding or ever seeing drivers from Intel or any other source that would allow me to install Windows 7 on this machine?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
TBanc
Beginner

For anybody wanting to use the 82801ER (ICH5R) Chipset ( device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 ) with newer Windows systems:

Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

I tried everything possible (Intel matrix driver versions 5.0.0.1032, 5.5.0.1035, 8.9.0.1023 and varios downloads from some shady sites proclaiming the drivers were 64bit compatible - while they were merely the same as the ones from the Intel site) but withouht success. I never got the option to install 82801ER - although the 5.5.0.1035 driver from intel promises to be compatible with 64bit operating systems. With 2008 R2 trying to install the 5.5.0.1035 version I only can choose between the 82801FR and the 82801GR/GH SATA Raid Controller. Installation succeeds but no drive shows up to install the operating system (using the tipp of dlewisfl but you could in a installed environment also right-click the SATA Controller ->Update Driver Software -> Browse my compute for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Show all devices -> Next -> Have Disk (remember only through this way you can uncheck "Hide incompatible drivers for this hardware"

Windows Server 2008 (32bit)

the 5.5.0.1035 driver work like a charm. just use the floppy or, on another computer, open the iata55_enu.exe with 7z or file-roller or whatever, extract everything and then run setup.exe with the options -a and -p, eg: setup.exe -a -p c:\iata55. use the extracted drivers to put on a usb-disk or floppy. And choose the right SATA controller (82801ER)

It is a shame that ICH5R does not work with 64bit servers, so I had to use an additional SATA Raid controller. if somebody succeeded somehow to have windows 2008 R2 installed on a ICH5R SATA Raid, please let me know!

0 Kudos