Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
VSeve
Novice

Hi again. Maybe I can help you by explaining the philosophy behind my approach to this bug. To my opinion,

in updating of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 the OS changed some settings, which were relevant or important for functioning of the displays and audio and these settings combined with the procedure of the automatic updating process of the driver 3116 led to my bug and other bugs. To solve this situation, one must, to my opinion, before updating to the new driver, first force the 8.1 OS to adjust itself and eventually and hopefully correct some of the above automatic settings. You can (hopefully) do that in two ways. The first is changing the relevant motherboard video and audio BIOS settings which automatically forces the OS to adjust itself when you enter the OS and possibly to change also the above inappropriate settings. The second is to install a working older driver which can additionally correctly readjust some of these settings to the working ones. Only then is, at least to my opinion, possible successful application of the new driver. (Only deleting the driver itself does not necessarily result in changing inappropriate other settings of the OS).

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Note: If you use add-in graphic cards, the third way of forcing restructuring of the OS would be to at least temporarily change the graphic card(s) (which is of course viable only on desktop computers).

0 Kudos
rrex
Beginner

I'm getting SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) BSOD

- I have 8.1 from the windows store

- I have tried both drivers (from windows update and link provided) - both crashing

- I have no additional graphics cards

0 Kudos
CMetz
Beginner

Nic,

Followed your steps to re-install the 3316 package after an upgrade from win 8 to win 8.1, and it did not fix the multiple monitor issues. Also, norton anti-virus detected a security threat with the intelwidivad64.exe file.

Category: Resolved Security Risks

Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename

10/22/2013 4:15:28 PM,Medium,intelwidivad64.exe (WS.Reputation.1) detected by Download Insight,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action Required,c:\windows\system32\intelwidivad64.exe

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Install: 8.1 upgrade from windows store-same symptoms

8.1 Clean install from ISO created from windows store download (I do not have MSDN)

Currently on clean install Win 8.1 from store 

BUG: Unable to remove 3316 driver.

Followed steps from device manager, ticked box to remove driver files, reboot x 12, twelve times and still nothing. Windows Update is off. No problem removing Catalyst driver package for 2 7950's I have in the system. Tried installing the Old 15332b driver, and attempt to uninstall, same thing 3316 will not go away, tried the new package from this thread, uninstalled, and 3316 is still sitting there, went through uninstall steps 5 more times and it is still there.

BUG: Intel graphics only enables if set to be primary device in boot sequence in BIOS. MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming model motherboard. I can get the intel graphics to initialize by forcing it to be the primary graphics boot device, however the driver package does not function correctly, cannot manage the screens I have hooked up to it in any way. The intel utility will not load, or initialize. Also, if I set this to be primary, my discrete graphics card do not initialize and are unavailable in windows.

Thanks for working on this, but nic, I am not happy about how broken this is right now. Intel and Microsoft, you two should be working better together than this.

Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Yeah, I would have thought this would have been worked out during the RTM phase of 8.1

JBrec
Novice

BUG: Seems the drivers are also needed to allow the use of Intel Quick Sync.

I ended up buying a couple of mini display port adapters to get my 2nd and 3rd monitors running off my discrete graphics cards. I went into the Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) I use to stream gaming to twitch.tv, and found this fun little problem too. One of the great things about owning the Intel processors is this little feature of hardware level encoding, that it seems is entirely software dependent.

Well, I certainly hope I log in tomorrow evening and find this sorted out.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Linflas wrote:

BUG: Seems the drivers are also needed to allow the use of Intel Quick Sync.

I ended up buying a couple of mini display port adapters to get my 2nd and 3rd monitors running off my discrete graphics cards. I went into the Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) I use to stream gaming to twitch.tv, and found this fun little problem too. One of the great things about owning the Intel processors is this little feature of hardware level encoding, that it seems is entirely software dependent.

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-209935-233784/1.png

Well, I certainly hope I log in tomorrow evening and find this sorted out.

Like all hardware in your system, they ALL need drivers to be accessed by your OS and software apps. QuickSync hardware encoding is no different. Without the driver, no QuickSync.

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

Yes, I am well aware that the hardware needs software, just venting a bit of my frustrations, as I find more things that I am being inconvenienced on with this problem.

I think what makes me so grumpy about this is the fact that it worked perfectly on Win 8, but the 8.1 upgrade broke it so completely. That and the fact that 8.1 has been in preview for almost 6 months, so you would think Intel would have had this sorted prior to launch.

Just a simple google search of this problem brings up loads of posts regarding this problem across multiple hardware environments, so I am having a hard time believing Intel is having trouble reproducing this problem in the lab.

Lots of reasons I am frustrated by this.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

Linflas wrote:

Yes, I am well aware that the hardware needs software, just venting a bit of my frustrations, as I find more things that I am being inconvenienced on with this problem.

I think what makes me so grumpy about this is the fact that it worked perfectly on Win 8, but the 8.1 upgrade broke it so completely. That and the fact that 8.1 has been in preview for almost 6 months, so you would think Intel would have had this sorted prior to launch.

Just a simple google search of this problem brings up loads of posts regarding this problem across multiple hardware environments, so I am having a hard time believing Intel is having trouble reproducing this problem in the lab.

Lots of reasons I am frustrated by this.

Me too! It's insane that Intel had plenty of time to make a working driver during the 8.1 RTM period. And yet it's completely broken for so many people. I wonder if it actually work for anyone. If I didn't have my dedicated card, I would be screwed right now.

Luckily I don't have any encoding projects right now. But I really hope Intel gets this resolved asap!

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Black screen blinking BUG information

Reply to request for -INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

Config: HP Pavilion 15-e030so - Windows 8.1 - 64bit - 3rd party video graphic AMD Radeon HD 8670M

Wishing you guys manage a fix soon because the number of users migrating and facing that issue growing!

0 Kudos
eb2
Beginner

Hello,

1. Turn off Windows* Update. You will need to do this temporarily so that we can make sure it is not installing their version of the 3316 driver instead of ours. Steps for turning this off can be found here; http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off Turn automatic updating on or off - Microsoft Windows Help

2. Perform a FULL UNINSTALL of the Intel® Graphics Driver (and Intel® Display Audio Driver if you are having audio issues as well). In order to do this; open Device Manager, Right click the Intel® Display Adapter and select Uninstall. Select the Checkbox for Delete driver files, and then reboot your system. Do this until the display adapter shows Basic Microsoft Display Adapter. (Note: If you are also uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver, you can find that under Sound, Video and Game Controllers section of Device Manager).

When I am here: "Do this until the display adapter shows Basic Microsoft Display Adapter."

I start again the computer and I get only 30 seconds when it shows "Basic Microsoft Display Adapter". Then automatically win8.1 64bit adds the drivers (intel graphics and audio) !!! ;((

I did that at least 5 times and I got crazy !

My graphic card is : Intel HD Graphics 2500 (located inside a motherboard Asrock B75 Pro).

I have problems with the card since the windows8 (it was working fine here!) to windows8.1 update (from especially on Excel and Word (more info here in french sorry!: http://answers.microsoft.com/fr-fr/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/excel-2013-32bits-crashe-d%C3%A8s-que-je-scrolle/51e197f9-94c4-4968-aeb3-a182411b776a?page=2 Excel 2013 &# 40;32bits&# 41; crashe d&# 232;s que je scrolle ou zoom - Microsoft Community / temporary solution for me - does not work with all my excel files in fact ! :

Win + R // sysdm.cpl // "Paramètres systèmes avancés" //"Performances" Effets visuels, planification du processeur, utilisation de la mémoire et la mémoire virtuelle, clique sur le bouton "Paramètres".

) .

Also, I have noticed that when inside the Graphic settings, I click on "Options / Information center", I have the same kind of problem than with Excel or Word : crash (It happens even if default settings are activated)!

1. Did you install your Windows* 8.1 from the streaming update? Or did you install it via .ISO from MSDN*?

2. Did you install the graphics driver via Windows* Update, or using the download available on our website?

3. Do you have a 3rd party graphics card installed alongside the Intel® graphics product?

1/ streaming update

2/ windows update. then as I had problems from your website

3/ No. Plus no such bios settings.

I also have a strange new unknown device (I added nothing new to the computer. I also tried to erase it but it comes back again!) :

Please advice. <span __jive_emoticon_name="wink"...

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

So it seems you have found out two things.

1. The MSDN version of Win 8.1 does not have a problem.

2. That everyone responding in your forums does not have the MSDN version, we are all store upgrades.

This tells me you need to get ahold of the store version, and get crackin on this problem. Microsoft seems to have shafted you a bit on this one as they obviously did something different on the store rollout. Knock this problem out @nic, I like having my secondary monitors running on my HD 4000, I like Quick Sync working, in other words, I liked everything the way it was on Win 8.0.

Just a friendly kick in the pants, but I certainly mean it.

0 Kudos
Xenon2000
New Contributor I

My system already had automatic driver installed disabled, since Windows 8. But I tried again anyways. Fully uninstalled the audio and video drivers for the HD 4000, re-installed the 3316 directly from Intel. Same issue. I should also point out the process that happens for me.

1. I uninstall, reboot.

2. Install, reboot. But on the first reboot I get a black screen and my system is frozen. Press Caps Locks and Num Lock and the keyboard LEDs do not change state. No drive activity. Have to hard reboot.

3. On this reboot, the system comes up fully. I don't see the option for my HDMI display, so I go to device manager. Where it tells me the system needs to reboot to finish installing.

4. Now on the 4th reboot, the system comes up all the way again. Still no display detected on my HDMI port. I go to Device Manager and see the same issue as before. A yellow exclamation mark with error Code 31.

When I do the same process for the Windows update supplied 3316 driver, I get the exact same process.

As others have already mentioned, it can't be hard to get a hold of the retail Windows 8 system, do the Windows Store 8.1 upgrade to replicate the issue and get a solution figured out. Hopefully soon.

DPing1
Beginner

2. Perform a FULL UNINSTALL of the Intel® Graphics Driver (and Intel® Display Audio Driver if you are having audio issues as well). In order to do this; open Device Manager, Right click the Intel®Display Adapter and select Uninstall. Select the Checkbox for Delete driver files, and thenreboot your system. Do this until the display adapter shows Basic Microsoft Display Adapter. (Note: If you are also uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver, you can find that under Sound, Video and Game Controllers section of Device Manager).

I have installed the driver from windows update.

When I uninstall the driver and reboot, its just automatically installing it again when i reboot...

I have windows updates disabled

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

At this time we have installed the Windows* 8 OS and upgraded via the Windows* Store method. However, we are still not seeing the issue. BUT! We have more things for everyone to try (please report back whether this has helped or not) This information will be appended to the OP as well;

1. For everyone experiencing this issue; "I am uninstalling the driver as you have mentioned, hitting the check box as well - and it is still re-installing 3316 (Windows* Update is turned off)".

1. Download the driver (you will need the .ZIP version, not the .EXE)

2. Disconnect your internet

3. Verify that Windows* Update is still turned off

4. Uninstall the driver again, until it is a Basic Microsoft* Display Adapter

5. Reboot

6. Install our driver via the http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Manual Driver Installation (formerly Have Disk) method.

2. For everyone who is still not having their driver properly install (resulting in error code 31, 43), try the following;

5. Reboot into 'Safe Mode'

6. Install our driver via the http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Manual Driver Installation (formerly Have Disk) method.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rest assured we are still looking into this - it is our top priority.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Another piece of information we need; When did you start your Windows* 8.1 update, and when did it end?

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
CHoll6
Beginner

The below method still results in a 43 for me. I updated to 8.1 on the first day it was available (I don't remember which day though).  

2. For everyone who is still not having their driver properly install (resulting in error code 31, 43), try the following;

5. Reboot into 'Safe Mode'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0 Kudos
RPasq1
Beginner

Hi!

My computer is a Asus Taichi21 (Dual screen)

OK, I have done exactly, word for words, what was written in the post from nic (from intel I presume) dated 0ctober 23 à 2:09PM but unfortunately it wont work for me.

finally, as I have done during the Week-End I have reinstalled the original Intel driver that came with the Taichi21 and it works fine for me; display and sound. Meaning that when i close the lid the display switch from PC mode to tablet mode, the auto rotation work fine too, when I hit the Asus home blue button (I call it Ying/Yang button) I can switch from PC to Tablet to Mirror and to Duplicate mode like it was suppose to do originally.

Saying that, as I have no problem with the old driver I'll wait until Intel release a new stable and trustable version of this driver for my computer.

The former driver that works for me is: for Windows 7.0, 64 and Windows 8.0, 64

# 15.28.6.64.2857 (9.17.10.2857)

Hoping that post help

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

Please make sure to report when it was you installed the Windows* 8.1 update, and when the update finished installing if it took a day or 3 to do so!

@Jenswede: If you continue to follow the uninstall process (repeat it) - you should be able to uninstall beyond 3308, and eventually make it to "Basic Microsoft* Display Adapter". After that I would try a fresh install of the driver downloaded from our website via the instructions I have posted on the original post. If you were able to uninstall 3316 and make it to 3308, then it appears to be working properly. Right now it will install the last driver it still has files from, so if you keep repeating the process it will eventually uninstall/delete all driver files until you are back at the very first driver on the system (which is the goal).

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

More information we need (will append to OP).

Checking your Programs and Features menu, for Windows* Updates - please verify you have the following updates installed;

* KB2894179

* KB2883200

* KB2894029

* KB2884846

Please send a screenshot of this if you do or do not have all of these updates installed. They were released by Microsoft* over the weekend, so anyone who was up to date as of Monday morning, should hopefully have them installed.

Thanks!

-Nic

0 Kudos