Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20949 Discussions

Windows* 8.1 Driver (32 & 64 bit) - Version 3316

NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Greetings everyone!

We have officially launched our latest driver supporting 3rd and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD/Iris™ Graphics for Microsoft* Windows 8.1. The version is 3316 and is available at the following locations.

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23324/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_32.pdf here.

64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng Download Center - Release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23323/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3316_64.pdf here.

Also; http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Windows* 8/8.1 Graphics FAQ.

Since this is our first official driver to support Windows* 8.1 - we are very excited to hear your constructive feedback. We have a good track record with these feedback pages in the past though So feel free to continue contributing any/all constructive feedback here. Additionally, if there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here.

I ask that you preface the feedback with a bolded heading so that it will be easier to identify, example: Control Panel: It would be cool if X was added. BUG: This application is now crashing and it didn't with the last driver!

I also ask that you keep focused on this specific driver. Any off-topic/off-driver/off-product comments will be promptly deleted! If you have any issues with installing the driver, or are unable to get to the driver download pages linked above, please submit those comments in an original thread. Also, please do not message me directly about issues with the driver, keep them in this thread - I will check it daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-INFORMATION WE ARE COLLECTING-

EDIT: We are currently collecting the following information. For both users who have already posted here, as well as users who are going to post here, please provide the following information:

* Which error are you having? Code 43 or 31 (Other)?

* Do you have a 3rd party graphics card in your system? (aka Discrete Card, Add-On Graphics Card)

* If so, what is the make/model of that card?

* If so, what driver do you have installed for that card?

* What is the make/model of your system? (full model name please)

EDIT:

I've got a specific data call for users who meet all of the following criteria;

• Do not have a 3rd party graphics card installed in their system
  • Are experiencing either Code 31, Code 43, black screens
  • Have driver 3316 installed on Windows* 8.1

The data request is as such; We need to collect the complete 'System Driver' information from your system for investigation purposes. In order to provide us a copy of this information, follow these steps.

1. Start -> Run -> msinfo32
  2. Expand the 'Software Environment' section
  3. Select 'System Drivers'
  4. File -> Export -> Give the file a name
  5. Attach the file to a response here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you very much!

-Nic

0 Kudos
491 Replies
VSeve
Novice

Colargoll wrote:

"Thanks vsslo for your advise.

To the benefit of all others, if you managed to get it working, can you describe the process you followed? If I understand well from AMD site, the mobile version can only be installed through their installer and not downloaded as standalone package, is that correct? Thanks again for sharing your process with all of us"

You probably saw from my posts that I reinstalled my 8.1 after my 3316 driver stopped functioning again in my initial installation of 8.1. Unfortunately, I have not tried then the Beta Catalyst driver, but went immediately to reinstalling 8.1. Though I have the image of my previous installation, I'd rather not try to recreate the former situation. In any case, with the automatic AMD September drivers, the driver 3116 did not function OK even after the new installation of 8.1. When installing again the 8.1 (starting with Win 7, then updating to Win 8 and adding Windows Media Center and updating to 8.1 through the Store; in the process I applied Windows Update only in 8.1 and avoided installation of other applications; after Windows updating I installed Intel Win 8.1.drivers for my motherboard).

As mentioned above, with automatic AMD September drivers, the driver 3116 did not function OK after the new installation of 8.1.

The BIOS of my motherboard lists several options for the video device. There is an option with auto, Intel graphics, PCIe card or manual setting (this setting seems not to function at all) of the video device. Another option allows to disable, always enable or enable if primary the Intel graphics. There are some additional options which are not relevant for our problem. With changing of these options, I can change the way my OS enters the post phase, the OS and functioning of the two monitors I have connected to the AMD HDMI and Intel HDMI port (my motherboard has only one Intel (HDMI) graphic port). When the primary device is Intel's and the driver 3116 malfunctions on entering the OS, the Intel display turns black, but the computer itself is obviously all the same functioning on (the hardrives LEDS are still working) (during the post phase the monitor connected to the Intel HDMI always works OK, if the Intel device is primary). In such a case, I have to reboot and go to the BIOS, where I set the PCie card to be primary to be able to access again the OS on the other monitor. As mentioned above, this setting functioned OK for some time in my initial 8.1 system.

In my new installed Win 8.1 and after I installed The Catalyst Beta Driver with the AMD package and reinstalled the driver 3116, it began to function OK for some time with the above BIOS setting. However, when I reinstalled most of my applications, it malfunctioned again and even after reinstalling it, the Intel Graphics Panel Application did not work correctly. Then I set an older application from Vista times (Fritz 11, the probable culprit for malfunctioning) ) to the compatibility mode and changed the BIOS primary setting to PCie graphic card and the other setting to always enable the Intel graphics. With this settings, the computer enters the post phase on the AMD monitor and also enters the OS on this monitor (showing Windows 8.1 logo and circles). If all is well and after some circling , the Intel monitor takes over and I log into the OS on it. If driver 3116 malfunctions, the computer remains on the AMD monitor and the Intel monitor remains black is not detected in the OS.

I do not think that the way of installing the driver 3116 and its version (there are two: one is from 1/10/2013 and the other from 3/10/2013 and both are supplied by Intel to Microsoft for the verification) are very important. It is enough to uninstall it and its files. You can install it then from the Intel Download Center, install it by choosing from the available versions on the computer (after several such tries, I have on my computer usually both above versions and Microsoft Basic Display) or leave it to the OS to do it. At present, I have installed the version 1/10/2013, which is probably the initial version of the driver when installing the OS through the Store, and it works correctly. What is important is that, in the case 3116 malfunctions and you cannot activate it correctly by reinstalling it, you change the BIOS options, which forces both the BIOS and the OS to readjust their dealing with both the PCIe graphic card and the Intel graphics and their drivers. IIn the new 8.1, I have never reinstalled the initial installation of the beta AMD driver, I have been reinstalling only the Intel driver 3116. You just keep changing the BIOS options and reinstalling the 3316 driver, until it works.

I am not familiar with the AMD mobile drivers installation process. My (older) HP laptop has an Nvidia card, so I cannot help you too much with this. But I have just checked their Web page and here is Mobile Beta Catalyst Version 7 listed, so you can probably can use this version..

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Colargol,

do your laptops have a HDMI port, so you can use an external monitor?

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Yes it has an HDMI slot but not tested. Our students tried to connect the RGB output to a projector but got the message the graphic card not properly working. As well software requiring graphic acceleration cannot perform but, considering the drivers not properly working, not a surprise anyway.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

if you have the HDMI port then you can carry out a procedure similar to mine with the second monitor. I could not find your laptop model on the HP web page, so I do not know what are the BIOS options for the video cards on your laptops.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Thanks vsslo,

Here is the link to the machines:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03843007&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03843007&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

The suffix -so correspond to the Scandinavian version of the keyboard.

Thanks for your support, still wishing the ones responsible to fix at higher level do what they are supposed to do!

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

If the HDMI port at present is not working, which would mean that it is presently also controlled by the malfunctioning Intel graphics driver, I do not see any other option as reverting the laptop to factory settings, enabling the second monitor on the HDMI monitor through BIOS options, reinstalling win 8.1 (whatever that means for you) and using a similar procedure to mine with the Catalyst beta driver and both the laptop and external monitor display, till the driver 3116 begins to function correctly.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Despite Intel driver disabled and AMD driver showing error code 43, the embedded screen is working. I can use the PC, most probably on the system default driver (as mentioned by another guy).

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

What using the PC means to you? Does that mean that you can enter the post phase and/or the BIOS, but the laptop on the embedded display cannot enter the OS or remains black after entering into it?

Inspecting the manual for your laptop, I found that you can toggle between the embedded and the eventual second display with the key F4. However, the manual does not include the description of the actual BIOS options, so I could not find out, how your BIOS determines the functioning of the displays and both video cards. By the way, did your students use the VGA port in attaching the projector?

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

When Intel driver disable in safe mode and rebooted the PC works "as normal" except limited graphic performances. When using F4 an error message tells that: due to graphic driver problem the external projector cannot be connected. The point here is to get the Intel driver and AMD to work as they should. I'll try tomorrow to re-install Intel driver and AMD to see if I manage to get things in order, keeping my wishes a professional fix comes from Microsoft!

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

As you obviously can get into the OS and also can reenable the Intel driver, I do not think you will have any problems if using AMD mobile beta Catalyst driver and two displays if necessary.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Thanks vsslo.

The mobile version seems to be only available through their application requiring internet connection while the Windows can be download as standalone.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

What is the difference between the AMD mobile beta Catalyst and the AMD beta for Windows?

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

I don't really know the difference between the mobile and desktop versions of the Catalyst driver, as I have never used its mobile version. However, as in the desktop beta version 6 of the Catalyst, the compatibility with the Intel 3116 driver had been obviously improved, I should expect that this is the case also for the mobile beta version 7.

I do not see any problems if the update has to be eventually done through their application !? I do not have a mobile version of an AMD card, so I do not know how the actual update goes and cannot check it On the above web page, I can, however, download their listed exe file. Do you mean that this application first downloads the driver and then updates it on your machine?

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

I guess it is the way it works.

Interesting information from Guitarrero!

Wishing HP and other do the same for AMD drivers!

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Advice: before downloading the beta mobility version 7 of the Catalyst, check its compatibility with the AMD card you have (in the lower part of the web page).

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Thanks for the advise, I'll check before downloading.

0 Kudos
JBrec
Novice

My experience with bios settings are as follows on a desktop board, this applies for both the Z77 and Z87 boards I have.

If I turn off the "on board" i.e. Intel graphics I have no problem with any AMD drivers or any other issues

If I turn on the "on board" and set it to be the only device, I have no problems with the 3316 driver

If I turn on the "on board" and set it to multi monitor and graphics sharing, I have problems with the 3316 driver failing

So I had to resort to the workaround which involved unistalling the graphics drivers on both my 7950's and the Intel, and installing the 13.11 beta 7, then installing the 3316 driver. This has worked normally for me now, I have yet to have a problem with either.

I played Total War: Rome 2 all night, while streaming to twitch.tv using OBS and it's encoding feature using Intel QuickSync. My primary monitor runs off the 7950's and I 2 other monitors I use to monitor twitch chat, and web browser, and system monitoring. I had no problems, had a marathon session tonight, on and off for 10 hours. So the workaround has been solid for me.

Drop in some time, I stream on and off Sunday-Wednesday nights Pacific standard time, I am a night person, so up all night. Twitch.tv/linflas Tech talk, what ever, drop by and we can troubleshoot, I have a private RaidCall for voice if needed.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Whose Z77 and Z87 motherboards have you? Your BIOS settings are obviously a little different than on the Intel's own Z77 motherboards.

0 Kudos
VSeve
Novice

Colargol,

I guess Alleluia provided you with the viable solution of your problem.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Thanks vsslo,

I just followed Linflas original instructions and it seems to work on my test machine.

I have to run for a webcast but will continue testing tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your support.

Patrick

0 Kudos
GCamo
Beginner

Something interesting happened today on Asus site: they disponibilized a new Nvidia driver that actually works with the Intel driver (updated from Device Meneger). Everything is working so far: no black screen, brightness conrol, resolution. The only thing that I noticed is that before the first screen with the login picture, the screen flickers a little bit before starts, but other than that all works fine until now.

The specs:

- Asus K45VM, i7 3610QM 2.3ghz, Intel HD 4000 (10.18.10.3308 - 09/16/2013 - from Device Meneger) and Nvidia GT630M 2 gb (9.18.13.2683 - 08/21/2013 - from Asus site).

I was thinking to update the Intel driver with the one from Download Center, but now with everything working, I will wait until they realese a new stable version.

0 Kudos
PLe_F
Novice

Good news for the Asus users! Wishing HP comes with the same for the AMD embedded grahic controller!

0 Kudos