Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21060 Discussions

Windows 8 - intel hdmi driver: 44khz wasapi bug

AAllo
Novice

After a lot of testing i've found out that Intel hdmi drivers have a major bug under windows 8: when you use wasapi (event/push/shared) for audio output and set it to 16/24 bit @ 44000hz the output is SILENT. You get no errors from the application (tested with foobar and xbmc), what you get is a normal playback of the audio file but with no audio output. Can anyone confirm this? In both cases resampling the audio @48khz fixed the issue but still, I/We need also the 44khz. Thank You.

Intel HD drivers: latest @ Intel HD4000 bu

42 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

I just re-tested with the device set to 44 KHz as well. Still no issue with playback though.

I'm using an AV/R, specifically a Sony* STR-DH520 (we don't have an Onkyo* to test with).

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Nic

The problem appear to be specific to Intel HDA driver + new Pioneer SC-LX series of receivers. 44.1khz WASAPI audio only plays when using interlace mode under windows 7 or windows 8. someone in Linux community manage to fix this by modifying the Intel driver (please refer the below link). How can i achieve this under windows7. Any help will be much appreciated.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2013-February/024875.html [Intel-gfx] [Alsa-user] intel-hda: sound via HDMI only when using interlaced modes

Anyone ?!!

0 Kudos
DLegu
Beginner

I believe I have the same problem occuring in a different setup. OpenElec on a Haswell Nuc i3 will not play 44.1 KHz audio on my Pioneer AVX510 receiver in 1080p unless I upscale to 48KHz. In 720p it works.

Interestingly, a 88.2KHz audio file (FLAC) will not work either.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
DLegu
Beginner

Please Intel are you even considering this issue ? With the success of the NUC there's a lot of us out there struggling with this HDMI sound clock issue with some Pioneer amps. Check the OpenElec and XBMC forums for instance. This should be pretty easy to reproduce.

1080p @50p pr 60p + 44.1 khz sound (or 88.2 khz for that matter) remains silent.

Can you please confirm you have identified the bug and looking at it ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BUeff
Beginner

Same issue. 44kHz and 88kHZ Flacs are silent when send to a brand new Pioneer SC-LX77 receiver in WASAPI mode. 48/96kHz is fine.

My NUC:

Intel® NUC Kit DC3217BY

0 Kudos
BUeff
Beginner

Today I tried a mini displayport to HDMI cable with the same result. No audio at 44/88kHz. It's such a nice little box but this makes me want to tear my hair out.

Intel: can you investigate this?

0 Kudos
AAlex31
Beginner

+1 for this issue.

Intel Driver HD4xxx are having compatibility issues @44.1KHz with Pioneer AVR since the beginning....

This is not only on Windows btw.

0 Kudos
NFari
Beginner

I have the same issue!

Intel HD4000, Windows 7, wasapi, 44Hz, AVR pioneer

Please Intel we need help

0 Kudos
FGrec1
Beginner

Same Problem.

Microsoft Surface Pro (Windows 8.1 PRO) -> Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter -> Kenwood 5.1 Home Theatre receiver RV-7000

Setting HDMI passthrough i haven't any problem playing 48Khz files, but i'm not able to listen 44Khz files.

I use XBMC with wasapi enable for the passthrough.

Enabling debug trace, i found:

DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - trying to open device WASAPI:{21E2BC11-0B11-49F1-BD5D-3EAD7BD8ED90}

INFO: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: Could not Initialize Exclusive with that format

ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: WASAPI initialization failed.

I'm sure that receiver can get 44Khz files (i'v another system with ati 3450 and same files play well on that system).

0 Kudos
NFari
Beginner

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately this driver does NOT resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
AAllo
Novice

More then 2 years have now passed and this issue is still NOT solved. From my knowledge this 44khz bug over hdmi affects also the current generation of intel graphic processors, meaning anyone which is considering to use it as an htpc option should stay away from Intel and move to Nvidia or AMD counterparts who work flawlessy on the matter.

0 Kudos
NFari
Beginner

Any update on this issue? I can confirm that the bug is still present.

0 Kudos
FGrec
Beginner

I finally found a workaround to bypass this issue!

The workaround confirm what I've always suspected: this is a bug of intel audio driver. Not a Hardware issue.

Intel's developers always ignored the issue.

I have a mini pc with intel J1900 cpu and a Surface Pro (first version).

The operating system in both systems was windows 8.1.

In both systems i was'nt able to send via hdmi 44.1kHz dts. No problem instead with 48Khz.

After the upgrade to Windows 10, magically 44.1KHz passthrough started working.

System were able to bitstream dts or dolby independently of the sampling frequency.

Afterwards, after updating drivers for Intel, systems start to presents the issue of 44.1KHz.

Finally the workaround:

I changed the driver for "High Definition Audio Device".

I forced the use of Microsoft Driver instead of that of Intel and Systems start again to handle correctly audio streams.

So, try it yourself using del Microsoft Driver within Microsoft Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for the workaround. Thanks for sharing this information.

Allan.

0 Kudos
FGrec
Beginner

For those who might need it, Here there's the Microsoft Driver:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=83875301251129722540 http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=83875301251129722540

It's from Microsoft Windows 10 64Bit, I don't know if it will work with the previous Windows 64Bit

0 Kudos
NFari
Beginner

There is any plan to fix de Intel Driver?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
FGrec1
Beginner

I've tried too and i can confirm that the problem still persist.

0 Kudos
DCues
New Contributor I

Same problem too, using OpenElec v4.0 in a D34010WYKH NUC. I was confident that the problem was in the Pioneer AVR, but it's not so clear right now.

0 Kudos
NFari
Beginner
0 Kudos
FGrec1
Beginner

This thread was opened over two years ago.

Until now it has not been any progress!

It seems that no developer has undertaken to reproduce the problem, try to fix it and provide an answer.

I've never had a video card intel before and I do not think I'll buy more.

Also your support was very bad and considering that the thread has more than two years, we have had far too much patience.

You only asked if the various updates have somewhat improved the situation, but no update was aimed at solving the problem.

Is it possible to have a real support or we have to sell our pc and buy an nvidia or ati card?

0 Kudos