Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20655 Discussions

With HD530 (Skylake) no shadow under mouse pointer

MLipo
Beginner

Hello to all,

I have an interesting problem which is pretty annoying. My system is with i5 Skylake with HD530 and W10.

IntelHD Graphics prefs has a setting for spectrum range, I had to select full spectrum range, and then the shadows appear until the next system restart.

Does anybody know how to turn on shadow below mouse pointer permanently?

Also in Photoshop my pointer looks weird, everything with the pointer is weird. I think my question should be addressed to Intel: Can you make the driver work 100%? A shadow is really the last thing I would be expecting to be an issue. Customers are paying quite big money for Intel products, so we expect quality products and services.

Thank you for any help.

107 Replies
JP14
Beginner

I'm having the exact same issue.I have an i7-6700HQ with HD 530 graphics and Windows 10 Pro (64-bit). The default system mouse pointer has no drop shadow and the icons look jagged, even though I have drop shadows explicitly enabled for the mouse pointers.

A driver update via device manager didn't help.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Please try the latest driver that we have released, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355 Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Before installing the driver, I suggest uninstalling the old driver first; please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

Once the driver is uninstalled go ahead and install the latest driver following manual procedure, you can see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 & Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*

I hope this can help

Best wishes,

Ivan

MVuzh
Novice

It worked - not exactly as expected, but it did.

Details:

I uninstalled the driver and the files, then I tried installing the file from the link above. It didn't work (I guess it was for 530, I got the 520), so I rebooted, went into Device Manager, found the Display Adapter in the listing, right clicked and selected "Update Driver Software". It downloaded the driver, installed it, and I rebooted - just in case. Voila - cursor shadow's available, and cursor no longer lacks anti-aliasing.

0 Kudos
JP14
Beginner

This worked for me! Thanks Ivan

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm glad that your issue has been resolved and I appreciate you have taken your to let me know.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
JP14
Beginner

Ivan - actually, the issue has returned for me. This is the closest I can get to remembering reproduction steps for how the issue returned:

1. I uninstalled/reinstalled the HD 530 drivers on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop when it was not plugged into any external monitors or devices. The issue was fixed after I did this. The default resolution for my laptop's screen is 3200x1800
  2. I put my laptop into Hibernation.
  3. Today, before powering on my laptop, I plugged in the power adapter, an HDMI cable for an external monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, and a USB to Lightning cable with an iPhone 6 Plus connected to it.
  4. I then powered on my laptop, waking it from Hibernation
  5. My pointer icons are now jagged again. I tried restarting my computer and they're still jagged.
0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry that the issue still persists; at this point we will need to wait for a new driver to be release or contact your computer manufacturer to see if they have a different driver that you can install in your system.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
MBorz
Beginner

I could confirm this mouse pointer issues. I use the Integrated hd 530 connected with HDMI, and there are the same bugs.

Before this i used the intel hd 4600, and there are no issues like this.

I tried all graphic drivers, and installed Windows 8.1 new with all updates. But nothing changes. There must be a bug in the driver in combination with the intel hd 530 graphics (core i7 6700k), that causes the terrible look of the mouse pointer. Changing the Settings in the Mouse Pointer Menu didn't help.

With a Geforce GTX 960 and HDMI all is great, and the Intel HD 4600,too.

0 Kudos
ALipi
Beginner

Have same issue on HD 530, installed latest beta drivers 4474.

Mouse pointers looks ugly

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,

I have tried this several times and I have not been able to replicate this issue, I install the Beta 4474 and no issues either.

At this point, I suggest you to get in contact with your system manufacturer to see if they can replicate this issue with the hardware you are using, from our side we will need to wait for a new driver that hopefully will help solving more issues.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
MBorz
Beginner

But it must be an Driver Issue. I tested several settings, and i found that if i change the Quantity Settings from "Standard" to "Complete" Area, that mouse issues are solved for short time. Look at my Settings in the Graphics Driver. I use German Language, but i think it's not impossible to find this settings. Change it to "Complete" (like Marker) and than the Mouse Issues are over for a short time, or until the next Reboot .

This could only be an Intel Driver Bug.

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

With Microsoft Windows Graphics Driver there are no problems, the shadow and anti-aliasing are there and working, so it's clearly an Intel bug. You must fix this bug as soon as possible instead of making excuses. As we said, you have to use HDMI cable.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Please refer to this post /thread/103749 https://communities.intel.com/thread/103749

It has been filed internally under case number 01154666. Please keep in mind that this has not been reproduced in our labs, and since it is mainly an aesthetic bug we won't have a fix anytime soon.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
MBorz
Beginner

that's sad to hear that. It would be interesting to know on what hardware the whole has been tested. And if you would see those ugly mouse, then they would still be just as annoyed. And then this issue more priority would be given. So many people have the problem with different displays and hardware. For an advanced CPU like i7 6700K with Intel HD 530 I have never experienced a stupid and irritating bus like this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I cannot really enable the mouse shadow at all - not from any of the usual places in the Control Panel. It only says shadow is enabled, but it isn'thttp://qwikfix.co.uk/sky-customer-services/ . Additionally, whenever the busy cursor appears (the animated blue circle), its edges are jagged - as if there is no antialiasing whatsoever.

0 Kudos
MBorz
Beginner

If i select in the Mouse Device Settings the "Mouse Trail" Option (German "Mausspur"), Antialising and Shadows works perfectly. After Reboot, too. But this is very stressful to watch at the Mouse pointer.

This could only be a Driver Issue that it isn't activated in Standard Mode (without this Option).

0 Kudos
MBorz
Beginner

Alberto (or any other from the Intel Support Team) : will be there a solution to the problem in the foreseeable future ?! Are the Intel Developer working on this Issue ?!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to all the peers for reporting this issue and for all the information provided on this thread.

To Janami25:

Yes, the case is currently under investigation, and we are still doing a research in order to try to find a possible fix for this problem.

As soon as I get any updates on this situation, I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
SLT
Beginner

For those of you who haven't been able to fix this with the suggestions in this thread I'd like to add another tip. I had the same problem with the latest 4463 driver so I started changing graphics settings. In my case resetting Saturation to 0 permanently restores the shadow and fixes the aliasing around the circle. All other changes to color settings seem to be working as intended.

If it makes any difference this is my notebook:

ASUS GL552VW BIOS 218

i7 6700HQ with HD 530 - driver .4463

Nvidia GTX 960M - driver 368.81

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (v.1511 b.10586.494) with all updates as of 15 July 2016

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

What? There is no Saturation in Display Settings. You can change Brightness, Contrast and Gamma. You are talking about Video Settings but this is not a video problem, it has nothing to do with video playback.

0 Kudos
SLT
Beginner
0 Kudos