Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Work over broken integrated circuit unit

sasho648
Beginner

So it seems my integrated GPU unit has overheated - VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE in Windows with installed latest drivers - otherwise - in the times it has opened something (even in linux) - visible graphical artifacts. However with the latter (linux) - I can run all the graphical operations (and this is the default behavior upon installation with Ubuntu) using my dedicated MX 250, leaving the IGPU only to pass the rendered frames to the screen.

Now in Windows I can leave with the default monitor drivers - considering I can still use my dedicated GPU to render games and multimedia, if it wasn't for the annoying fact that I can't adjust my backlight.

What I've tried so far:

pnputil /enable-device (put actual ID of IGPU here) ; Start-Process -FilePath "explorer.exe" "shell:appsFolder\NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_56jybvy8sckqj!NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel"

and then when it starts flickering I put the command I've executed before with the arrow keys:

pnputil /disable-device (put actual ID of IGPU here)

in the hope of opening the Nvidia-control panel and set the default graphics mode to NVIDIA. However in the times it has actually returned the system to normal - the control panel has always appeared closed.

That was my most primitive attempt. I next tried to connect with RDP, I turned off all the hardware acceleration for it inside the gpedit.msc (inside Remote Session Environment):

Use hardware graphics adapters for all... - Disabled

*All the H.264 options (2 of count) - Disabled

Enable RemoteFX encoding - Disabled

*And in "RemoteFX for Windows Server 2008 R2":

Configure RemoteFX - Disabled

I recently also set the Appearance settings to all disabled and set the DisableHWAcceleration key to 1 (msdn).

All of that was unsuccessful - I wasn't able to connect RDP (black screen with errors popping out from time to time and ending the connection).

Then I tried disabling the TDR - setting the TdrLevel to both TdrLevelOff (0) and TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) (msdn) with the same results as before.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello sasho648

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better understand your request, could you please elaborate more regarding the issue that you are experiencing with Intel® Graphics Controller and Intel® Graphics drivers? Are you just having a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error of "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE"?

1- Did this behavior start after any recent change? For instance, Windows® updates or Graphics driver updates?

2- If this worked fine before, do you know what the driver versions that work fine are? And what driver versions are experiencing the issue?

3- Where do you see the "visible graphical artifacts"? Are you experiencing this using any specific app or performing any specific task? Please provide more details.

4- Please provide an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report. You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from the below link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Note:

For assistance with NVIDIA® Graphics Cards and NVIDIA® Control Panels, we kindly recommend you to address those inquiries to your computer manufacturer or to NVIDIA® Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello sasho648

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello sasho648

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos