Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

YouTube VP9 video hardware acceleration in Google Chrome with HD Graphics 510?

BBalá
New Contributor I

Is this supposed to work or it is not implemented in Windows or Google Chrome yet?

I can see VP9_VLD_Profile0 with the DXVA Checker application, but DirectX Diag only lists these:

DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeVC1_D2010 DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_Progressive_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Multiview_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeHEVC_VLD_Main

Thanks for your answers!

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Can't watch 4K YouTube videos, CPU usage is 100%, stuttering occurs

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Custom built: ASUS H110M-A, Intel Celeron G4400...

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only Intel HD 510 integrated graphics

<td style="padding: ...
0 Kudos
9 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi Balazs1,

If you use Edge browser ?

0 Kudos
BBalá
New Contributor I

Hi

Ronin,

Edge is working fine with 4K videos, because it uses H264 instead of the VP9 video codec. Unfortunately my internet connection speed is slow for the H264 video's double bitrate compared to VP9.

I know that it wasn't guaranteed that the Intel G4400 can handle 4K VP9 videos, I'm just curious if it's possible (maybe in the future), because the HEVC Main (8bit) profile is working

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

To enable VP9 in Edge type in address bar about:flags and look for it on that page.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I will need to check on this and I will update this thread as soon as possible.

Allan.
0 Kudos
BBalá
New Contributor I

Apparently I can't enable VP9 in Edge, because that feature is available in the Insider version of Windows 10 only. VP9 will be enabled in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update which comes out on August 2, so I guess I will wait for that.

0 Kudos
BBalá
New Contributor I

Ronin: Thanks, I will check it next week, because I'm away from home at the moment.

intel_corp: Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information.

As far as I can check the Intel® HD Graphics does support VP9 hardware acceleration on page 32

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

If this feature requires certain codecs to be loaded with the operating system, I hope you can get this to work with new OS patch.

Allan.
BBalá
New Contributor I

Updating Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update to 1607 (14393.10) works. After enabling VP9 in Microsoft Edge using the about:flags hidden options menu CPU Usage is only 50-60% when 4K VP9 videos are playing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am glad you were able to fix this matter with Windows® update. Thank you for sharing this information.

Allan.
0 Kudos