Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

dedicated memory too low

idata
Employee

I have a SonyVaio VPCS131F with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz and Intel® HD Graphics. my problem is that after i bought a new SSHD because the old one stopped working the games that worked before now doesn't work anymore because my dedicated graphic memory is just 128MB. I have the latest drivers, directX 11 installed on my laptop and running Windows 7 64x

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello dbolgar,

Note that the Intel® graphics controllers uses shared memory that is taken from the RAM memory installed on your computer.

The feature that sets the amount of memory that is used for video is called Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology and this will make the graphics controller only to use the amount of RAM memory that it requires to run the different applications or software's.

I am afraid to say that there is no way to preset this to a specific value; however, you can limit the maximum memory that it can take only. You will see this option usually in BIOS and you will have 3 options, 128MB, 256MB and maximum DVMT. Other values can be found as 512MB, etc but this depends on the motherboard manufacturer and the amount of RAM memory installed on your computer.

Kevin M

idata
Employee

Hello Kevin M

i understand that my graphic card will use as much RAM as he need. but the

thing is that after changing my HDD games that worked before like Farming

simulator 2013 that required 512 MB now will not work because the game see

it like 128 MB and other games to.

sorry for my bad English

thank you
0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The Video memory is set on the BIOS as mentioned before but if you are experiencing issues after changing the HDD I would say the problem is not related to the dedicated memory but the new hardware on the system.

Kevin M